McDermott and the Golden State Warriors

Shaw66

3 hours ago, CommonCents said:

I was hoping someone would say this, it came up a few days ago. The NBA is a horrible example.

Coaches don’t matter nearly as much as the NFL. The Warriors tried hard instead of going home, the Bruins did the same thing two days ago. I don’t think it was anything beyond both teams giving a professional level of effort. 

This is their jobs. Saying the Bills won’t quit isn’t really paying them a compliment.

The only NBA coach that even compares to an NFL coach is Popovich and it took him a long time in a different era to build up that credibility...............and despite that he lost the first "modern" superstar that he got because his my-way approach is a hard sell now.

1 hour ago, wagon127 said:

If a championship was on the line, It would be a good motivational tool. But under normal circumstances, for a regular season game, I would prefer my players to not tear an ACL, due to not waiting till you were actually healed enough to play.

Achilles not ACL right? I didn’t even know a calf injury could lead to that? I have had a strained calf for about two months and have been aggravating it jogging. I’m going to do some research, I don’t need anything like that! 

4 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

I think there's no way the Warriors win the series, but last night Curry and Thompson and Iguadala and Green and Durant and Looney and Cousins marked themselves forever as champions.  They were in the theirs graves and Leonard was dropping the last shovels full of dirt on them, and they rose up and said "not yet."   We're going to see Bills teams do that, because McDermott is training them to do it.  

They were bound to win another game. Never again champions is more like it.

19 minutes ago, CommonCents said:

Only if you ask them how they lost to Lebron James and Matthew Delladova. If they answer it was because of TY LUE then I will eat my shoe.

Thats window dressing, observing a wrestling coach etc. He is in the same division as the greatest coach in the history of the game. The example to follow has been slapping the Bills and their fans in the face for the better part of two decades. 

Observing a wrestling coach gives you a different kind of skill than spying on BB.  A wrestling coach's skill lies in his ability to communicate very minute specifics of a move, and do so in a way that his team can all understand it and try to deliver.  To me, it's a great skill for a football position coach to have.  As for a head coach, maybe McD is trying to learn how to communicate better to his staff, or to the defense. 

Edited by Tenhigh

Jeez, first it was Popovich/Spurs/Mcd.

Now it's Warriors/Kerr/McD?

These NBA comparisons of historically great teams (and coaches) to a 3rd year NFL HC with many miles to go before he's proven he should stay for a contract renewal is entering a weird place of myth-making...

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Was there a lot of clapping?

Not after the final buzzer.  Just a lot of choking sounds..

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

8 hours ago, CommonCents said:

I was hoping someone would say this, it came up a few days ago. The NBA is a horrible example.

Coaches don’t matter nearly as much as the NFL. The Warriors tried hard instead of going home, the Bruins did the same thing two days ago. I don’t think it was anything beyond both teams giving a professional level of effort. 

This is their jobs. Saying the Bills won’t quit isn’t really paying them a compliment.

So the warriors lost the other games just because they didn't try?

Football fans are by far the most condescending. Kawhi might be the best player alive. The warriors have a ton of injuries. The Raptors have been extremely well coached and getting great production out of role players and the bench. 

I think a lot more goes into other sports than you care to understand.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

McDermott probably doesn't stay up late enough or spend enough time on recreation to have watched the Warriors beat the Raptors last night, but I'm sure this morning he'd like to package some highlights from the game to use as a teaching point with his team.  The Warriors displayed last night the character that McDermott wants his football team to have.  

It was remarkable.  TWO guys - Durant and Looney - played with serious injuries that under any other circumstances would have kept them off the floor.  But this was an elimination game, and they were not going to let their team be eliminated without contributing whatever they could   So they played until they completely broke down.   All that mattered to them was that their team win, and they were going to do everything they possibly could to contribute to the win.  Think of the message that sends to their teammates.

The team fought and competed all the way into the fourth quarter.  The commentators said at half-time that the Warriors may have been leading, but they were in serious trouble.  It looked that way all the way through the third quarter.  Then in the fourth quarter the Raptors finally took control of the game and brought all of Canada to their feet in anticipation of the championship.  And still the Warriors wouldn't quit.  Thompson and Curry and Green and Iguadala just wouldn't quit, and Cousins showed he has it in him too.  Yes, those guys have talent, but Iguadala just cannot score any more, and Green can't carry them, and Cousins is kind of clumsy, and without more offense around them Curry and Thompson draw too much defensive attention.  None of that mattered.   Three minutes to go, game on the line, they refused to lose.  

It was an inspiring display of determination and of commitment to the team and team goals.   

It's what McDermott says he wants, and it's what we can see him building. It's why guys like Alexander and Beasley and McCoy and Gore and Hughes and Lotulelei and Murphy are on the team, and it's what he expects from Hyde and Poyer and Edmunds and Oliver and Morse and Ford and Allen.   Time will tell whether McDermott can do it.

You could say the same about most hockey players except that most NHL players play through some kind of injury through the entire playoffs. Erik Karlsson of the Sharks played all playoffs with a groin tear and Chara is playing with is jaw wired shut. Hockey players are tougher then basketball players and a lot of football players when it comes to playing through injuries. 

8 hours ago, Ol Dirty B said:

So the warriors lost the other games just because they didn't try?

Football fans are by far the most condescending. Kawhi might be the best player alive. The warriors have a ton of injuries. The Raptors have been extremely well coached and getting great production out of role players and the bench. 

I think a lot more goes into other sports than you care to understand.

Where did I say they didn’t try in the other games? Just because you try, doesn’t mean you will win. 

Save the foolish sports lecture for someone who wants to hear your nonsense.