Jadeveon Clowney, Gould not attending minicamp

Related image
  facebook_icon.svg  
  twitter_icon.svg  
  email_icon.svg  

• 0ap3000000923719.jpg
  • By Jeremy Bergman
  • Around The NFL Writer
  • Published: June 10, 2019 at 03:03 p.m.
  • Updated: June 10, 2019 at 03:47 p.m.

Neither Jadeveon Clowney nor Robbie Gould have signed their franchise tags with their respective teams, and that's not the only thing they have in common.

Clowney and Gould will not attend the three-day mandatory minicamps for the Houston Texans and San Francisco 49ers, respectively, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported Monday.

Both offseason workouts are scheduled to kick off Tuesday, but don't expect either player to be there.

Of the six players to receive the franchise tag in 2019, only Clowney, Gould and Falcons defensive tackle Grady Jarrett have not signed a long-term deal, after or without being traded. While Jarrett has signed his tag and intends to attend Atlanta's mandatory workout, Clowney and Gould have different ideas.

Clowney is aiming for a long-term deal in Houston, as are the Texans. In April, then-Texans general manager Brian Gaine said that signing the Pro Bowl pass rusher to a long-term contract was "still the plan." The problem is now Gaine is no longer in the building, fired last week out of nowhere. It's unclear whether Houston's interim GM Chris Olsen has the authority to strike a deal with Clowney while the Texans' search for Gaine's replacement continues.

The former first-overall pick already did not attend voluntary OTAs to make a statement on the matter. Texans coach Bill O'Brien said in May that while he has no idea when Clowney will return to the team, "I have every belief and trust that JD is working on his own and getting ready for whenever he does decide to show up."

Clowney is set to make around $15.97 million on the tag, if and when he signs it. The deadline for the two sides to come to an agreement on a contract extension in July 15, roughly one month away and before the start of training camp.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001033252/article/jadeveon-clowney-gould-not-attending-minicamp

Edited by HOUSE

13 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

So is this what got Gaines canned? Not getting the Clowney/Gould situations under control?

I think it would be borderline unfair for the Texans to hold the 49ers kicker's contract dispute against Gaine.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 10
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

I think it would be borderline unfair for the Texans to hold the 49ers kicker's contract dispute against Gaine.

:blush:

"I told you to get rid of those sideburns!"

- Montgomery Burns

• Haha (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Just Joshin' said:

Seems funny for a kicker to be holding out because he is on the franchise tag. What a terrible thing to be well paid without the serious long term pain.

I was just about to post this. What is he expecting pay wise ?. I was shocked he was tagged in the first place. YOUR A KICKER. 

9 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

What is a fair asking price?

2nd+Lawson is what I would offer. I feel that’s a very fair return considering the massive contract Clowney would demand. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Just Joshin' said:

Seems funny for a kicker to be holding out because he is on the franchise tag. What a terrible thing to be well paid without the serious long term pain.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/49ers/49ers-wont-honor-robbie-goulds-trade-request-and-heres-reason-why%3famp

he wants to be traded it’s not the cash

Houston can keep Clowney as far as I’m concerned. Good/great player but not a cornerstone building block with the injuries and that’s the contract he’s gonna get. Teams are very limited on how many 20 million a year contracts they can give and Clowneys agent isn’t letting Beane wizard up a long term contract with easy outs every season. Guy is gonna get a massive contract and be a top 3 paid defensive lineman 

• Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

More big plays from DL against Brady in that video than the Bills have had in the last decade.

Also a lot of examples of his impact coming from between the tackles........imagine a 3rd down pass rush group with Clowney and Oliver in the middle.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

More big plays from DL against Brady in that video than the Bills have had in the last decade.

Also a lot of examples of his impact coming from between the tackles........imagine a 3rd down pass rush group with Clowney and Oliver in the middle.

Imagine giving Houston what could very well be a high 1st or 2nd round pick in 2020, while also watching Clowney turn into another Lazy Mario, once he gets his 100+ million contract.

11 minutes ago, Cornette's Commentary said:

Imagine giving Houston what could very well be a high 1st or 2nd round pick in 2020, while also watching Clowney turn into another Lazy Mario, once he gets his 100+ million contract.

Or.... Imagine getting Clowney for a mid-late 2nd round pick and a player we probably are just going to lose next year in return for 10+ sacks per year for the next 5+ years and adding him to an already awesome looking (on paper) d-line.  Not saying he does one way or another, but have to contemplate amazing upside is there as well.

Not to mention, having a respectable pass rush helps all levels on the D.

17 minutes ago, Cornette's Commentary said:

Revisionist history?