Amazon planning 25mill facility in Tonawanda, and possibly a Grand Island site

YoloinOhio

12 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....doesn't Fucillo own it?............just askin'.........

Own what?  Grand Island?

For Grand Island, it seems the bridges should be a non-starter for a large-scale transportation operation.  The South bridge is pretty much past capacity as it is.  When they need to do work on them, forget it.  

My only problem ordering online is that usually I find most things bought through Amazon are starting to become cheaper version of the product. I bought a pair of shoes from there last year. Used to buy these shoes all the time from footlocker at the mall and they would last for years wearing them daily. This pair lasted maybe 6 months before I found the bottom breaking apart. My wife bought me 2 pairs online before that (same brand but different styles) and they wore very quickly too. Lots of crappy stuff being added with them now having additional retailers selling through them. It's similar to eBay now. Used to be people selling their used stuff online, now it's just people making stores to sell cheap junk from China.

I still use Amazon all the time for stuff though, and when not paying for prime, always chose free shipping and many times get it next day.

28 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

Own what?  Grand Island?

For Grand Island, it seems the bridges should be a non-starter for a large-scale transportation operation.  The South bridge is pretty much past capacity as it is.  When they need to do work on them, forget it.  

HINT: MAJOR sarcasm......clown has dealerships everywhere including Grand Island...............

32 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

Own what?  Grand Island?

Won't be a problem.   The tractor trailer volume on the bridge is a fraction of what it was back in the hey day of Niagara Falls.   And the majority of delivery vehicles will be the equivalent of oversized minivans....

Image result for Mercedes-Benz "Sprinter" delivery van

42 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

Three words:  Amazon Boat Dock.

1 hour ago, Lurker said:

Won't be a problem.   The tractor trailer volume on the bridge is a fraction of what it was back in the hey day of Niagara Falls.   And the majority of delivery vehicles will be the equivalent of oversized minivans....

But now the population of Grand Island has grown wildly since then, including the increase of "high density" apartment complexes.  The South Bridge is currently a nightmare, much moreso than when I was young, like 20-30 years ago.  

These vans won't be able to cross with any efficiency at either rush hour(s).  

I do suspect this thing has been in the works for awhile.  The State put in for the high-speed cashless tolls, and some nice bike path/park areas that but up against the parcel of land Amazon is "rumored" to be interested in.  Someone just "happened" to buy a dilapidated building and build a Holiday Inn Express in a strange location right next to the parcel of land in question.

They (NYS) also built that huge and nice Visitor's Center fairly close to that property, and started to run/expand sewer lines (that side of the 190 was always septic).  

On top of that, Loves bought land along the 190 and want to build a truck stop.  The rumor I heard is that one of the purposes is for US Customs to build a 'pre weigh' and border checkpoint for the border at that truck stop.  

7 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

Someone just "happened" to buy a dilapidated building and build a Holiday Inn Express in a strange location right next to the parcel of land in question.

That was the old Occidental Chemicals R&D building that then became the Dunlop Tire HQ.   It was redeveloped as a hotel in 2017...

https://www.hotel-online.com/press_releases/release/developer-turning-former-grand-island-eyesore-into-hotel/

2 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Three words:  Amazon Boat Dock.

Can they purchase that from Amazon and get next day delivery with Amazon Prime?

3 hours ago, Lurker said:

Image result for Mercedes-Benz "Sprinter" delivery van

It's funny that Amazon has been trying to convince it's workers in some of their locations to quit and giving them incentives to start up their own Amazon delivery services. I believe one of the shipping companies is also not going to renew their deal with them because of the low rates they have to deliver for.