What's next for the 2018 QBs - ESPN

Heitz

Good little article:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/26936981/next-2018-qbs-how-darnold-mayfield-allen-take-off

Nothing new on Allen really (don't we, the fans know it all anyway), but it does sound like the Jets situation is built to implode.  Do you think that Gase and Greggo actually talk, or just yammer at each other trying to one up the other guy?  And is Gregg filling him in on the D, or just throwing random things at Darnold?  Good luck with that Jets...

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, BillsFan17 said:

I still dont get why Gase is considered a QB guru

Me, too. I think it was coaching up Tebow to get anything out of him before the league saw enough video of him and he crashed as well as being smart enough to stay the hell out of Manning’s way. Might throw Kitna in there, too. But it ain’t much to hang your hat on.

7 minutes ago, BillsFan17 said:

None of what Gase got out if Tebow and Cutler is newsworthy, yet here we are acting like googley eyes is some sort of whisperer. The Jets as a whole are a joke and Darnold might be too good to ruin, but...

Much of what Tebow did was newsworthy, absolutely. But none of that qualifies Gase as a QB guru as evidenced by his short shelf life and subsequent fading away. And staying out of Manning’s way certainly doesn’t, either. 

Gase has designed some interesting pass schemes. But like all schemes, they need a good QB and supporting cast to execute. Tannehill and co. certainly weren’t up to the task. Remains to be seen if Darnold and his supporting cast are up to the task. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Heitz said:

Good little article:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/26936981/next-2018-qbs-how-darnold-mayfield-allen-take-off

Nothing new on Allen really (don't we, the fans know it all anyway), but it does sound like the Jets situation is built to implode.  Do you think that Gase and Greggo actually talk, or just yammer at each other trying to one up the other guy?  And is Gregg filling him in on the D, or just throwing random things at Darnold?  Good luck with that Jets...

Pretty much regurgitated information. It’s that point in the offseason where there really is nothing new to report on.

38 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Because he was able to get something out of a QB (Cutler) no one else did?

He got a good year out of him when he was in Chicago in 2015, but he wasn't the first coach to get something out of Cutler. He had a decent year with Shanahan in Denver long before that. Went to a Pro Bowl, anyway. Not that that means all that much anymore. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Tannenhill was never the prospect Darnold is.... Jets have a solid supporting cast. Offensive line could struggle though. The addition of Osemele was a good addition but I thought they'd do more in the draft. 

Tannehill and Darnold shouldn’t even be mentioned in the same sentence. That goes without saying. 

But that’s not the point. 

The point is It remains to be seen whether Gase can perform his supposed “guru” magic with Darnold that he hasn’t with anyone else to this point. 

Just my opinion but I think the jets better be praying that offensive line can run block. Cause if Bell isn’t able to run that team is going to be 3-13. Darnold can play, but they are not built to pass. Bell might get 100 catches if he’s healthy 

15 hours ago, BillsFan17 said:

He got Peyton Manning to play well. Genius!

10 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Tannenhill was never the prospect Darnold is.... Jets have a solid supporting cast. Offensive line could struggle though. The addition of Osemele was a good addition but I thought they'd do more in the draft. 

They spent their center money on a running back also. #JESTS.

I do think looking at their roster on paper the Jets are a playoff contender as much as the Bills are. Their situation doesn't feel anywhere near as stable a ours though. It is rare in Bills history that we have a stable football operation with people doing jobs they are properly qualified for and a professional plan. Doesn't guarantee success of course.... but gives you a far better chance.

51 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Yea. Like I said, thought they'd do more on the offensive line. 

Darnold is more polished at this point and I like their skill position players better than ours. 

Bills offensive success will depend on Allen and how well the line gels. I think both teams are between 8-10 wins. 

I did have them between 8 and 10 too..... I do think it could all blow up though (and I have always thought Gase is a poor Head Coach) so equally possible they win 4 or 5.

21 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I did have them between 8 and 10 too..... I do think it could all blow up though (and I have always thought Gase is a poor Head Coach) so equally possible they win 4 or 5.

The Gase/Greggggg dynamic will wind up being toxic.  I doubt seriously that Greggggg respects Gase one iota.

• Like (+1) 2

19 hours ago, BillsFan17 said:

Got the best out of that turd Cutler.  Helped Tebow make the playoffs, then transitioned to a completely different offense with Manning, and made the playoffs with crappy Tannehill and Moore.

he’s a weirdo and maybe not the best head coach, but I’d take him in a second here to work with Allen.