5 Buffalo Bills under most pressure to perform in 2019

Posted Jun 8, 2019
The Bills need Josh Allen to take the next step in his development in 2019.

Getty Images

The Bills need Josh Allen to take the next step in his development in 2019.

By Ryan Talbot | rtalbot@nyup.com

The regular season is about three months away, but it’s never too early to look ahead to the 2019 season.

Entering the year, there are a few Buffalo Bills who will be put under the microscope and every situation is different. Whether it’s fighting to hold onto a starting spot, playing for a big pay day, living up to your contract, improving your Hall of Fame chances or--most importantly--determining the team’s fate, a few players are under more pressure than others.

Here’s a look at five Bills who are under the most pressure to perform in 2019.

ORCHARD PARK, NY - DECEMBER 11: LeSean McCoy #25 of the Buffalo Bills runs onto the field before the game against the Pittsburgh Steelers at New Era Field on December 11, 2016 in Orchard Park, New York. (Photo by Brett Carlsen/Getty Images)

Getty Images

ORCHARD PARK, NY - DECEMBER 11: LeSean McCoy #25 of the Buffalo Bills runs onto the field before the game against the Pittsburgh Steelers at New Era Field on December 11, 2016 in Orchard Park, New York. (Photo by Brett Carlsen/Getty Images)

RB LeSean McCoy

LeSean McCoy is coming off of the worst season of his professional career. His 514 yards rushing and 3.2 yard per carry average were both career lows. Was it the fault of his offensive line in 2018 or has McCoy lost a step?

That’s an answer we’ll find out in 2019. Buffalo was aggressive in addressing their offensive line this offseason and the unit in front of McCoy should be able to create running lanes more successfully than the unit it replaced.

McCoy is under pressure to perform to keep his NFL career alive. While this very well could be McCoy’s last season in Buffalo, he can extend his career with a solid season in Buffalo. McCoy probably needs about 1,500 more yards rushing to solidify his Hall of Fame chances. The only running backs with at least 12,000 yards rushing to not be in the Pro Football Hall of Fame are Frank Gore, Adrian Peterson and Edgerrin James. Gore and Peterson--both active--are Hall of Fame locks while James should eventually get enshrined.

Image result for shaq lawson

DE Shaq Lawson

The Bills declined to pick up Shaq Lawson’s fifth-year option in early May. The decision simply came down to Lawson not meeting expectations as a former first-round pick. If Lawson wants to receive a big payday in 2020--from the Bills or elsewhere--he needs a big 2019 campaign.

To Lawson’s credit, the defensive end is well aware of the pressure that he faces this season.

“No, I ain’t concerned. It’s motivation. I know what time it is. It’s do or die,” Lawson told The Buffalo News. “I’ve been through a situation like this before. It’s just a small step. Me, I’m just gonna go out there and ball this year and see where everything falls.”

Lawson has been strong against the run since entering the NFL, but he hasn’t developed enough as a pass-rusher. In three seasons, Lawson has 10 total sacks with no more than four in an individual season. If he hopes to cash in following the 2019 season, Lawson needs to get close to his career sack total this year alone.

EAST RUTHERFORD, NEW JERSEY - NOVEMBER 11: LeSean McCoy #25 of the Buffalo Bills is congratulated by his teammates Dion Dawkins #73 and Jordan Mills #79 after his first quarter touchdown against the New York Jets at MetLife Stadium on November 11, 2018 in East Rutherford, New Jersey. (Photo by Michael Owens/Getty Images)

Getty Images

EAST RUTHERFORD, NEW JERSEY - NOVEMBER 11: LeSean McCoy #25 of the Buffalo Bills is congratulated by his teammates Dion Dawkins #73 and Jordan Mills #79 after his first quarter touchdown against the New York Jets at MetLife Stadium on November 11, 2018 in East Rutherford, New Jersey. (Photo by Michael Owens/Getty Images)

OT Dion Dawkins

Dion Dawkins should feel good after receiving all the first-team reps at left tackle during OTAs, but pressure will get ramped up at training camp.

Dawkins is coming off of a disappointing sophomore season with the Bills and has legitimate competition waiting in the wings. With the Bills giving Cody Ford a chance to win the right tackle job, Ty Nsekhe--a free addition--finds himself in a backup role at this time. Nsekhe held his own in Washington at left tackle when Trent Williams was out of action and could push for a starting job.

More

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/2019/06/5-buffalo-bills-under-most-pressure-to-perform-in-2019-josh-allen-lesean-mccoy-more.html

Edited by HOUSE
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Daboll.   By a mile.  If Allen and this offense flames out, not only does he get fired but he  might not get a decent gig in awhile.  

If Allen flourishes, he could be a HC somewhere in a few years. 

Edited by BillsfaninSB
  • Like (+1) 1

I don't think Jones is under that much pressure to at least make the team simply because his competition for a WR spot is mostly UDFAs or refugees from the practice squad.  I do think he needs to step up his game if he's going to stick with the Bills beyond his rookie deal, however.

I think that Allen is under much more pressure than the article indicated because he's under pressure for his personal career, but his performance also impacts the team to a far greater degree than any other player.  I disagree that 2019 isn't a make or break year for Allen.  Young QBs who are going to become good/great QBs show that talent early on, and especially in their second seasons.  If Allen doesn't play significantly better early in this season than he did late last season, that's a big red flag.  If he's better early on but doesn't continue to improve his play over the season, especially in the cerebral part of the game, he's probably never going to develop into a real franchise QB.  In that case, he'd likely be just another first round draft pick who gets four or five years --- possibly even a second contract as Sanchez and Tannehill did -- to prove he's not much more than an adequate backup.   The Bills might win some games with that kind of QB -- Jacksonville almost went to the Super Bowl with Bortles in 2017 -- so he could still have a positive impact on the team for a time, but in the end, he'll never be the real solution for the team.   So, it's a double whammy for Allen.

2 minutes ago, BillsfaninSB said:

Daboll

The article -- and the thread -- is about players who are under pressure.  If it were about coaches, McDermott would be at the head of the list if the offense stinks as badly as it did last season since McDermott is ultimately responsible for selecting his assistants.  He can't be considered a competent HC if he hires two duds at OC within three years.  He needs to return to being a DC.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SoTier said:

I don't think Jones is under that much pressure to at least make the team simply because his competition for a WR spot is mostly UDFAs or refugees from the practice squad.  I do think he needs to step up his game if he's going to stick with the Bills beyond his rookie deal, however.

I think that Allen is under much more pressure than the article indicated because he's under pressure for his personal career, but his performance also impacts the team to a far greater degree than any other player.  I disagree that 2019 isn't a make or break year for Allen.  Young QBs who are going to become good/great QBs show that talent early on, and especially in their second seasons.  If Allen doesn't play significantly better early in this season than he did late last season, that's a big red flag.  If he's better early on but doesn't continue to improve his play over the season, especially in the cerebral part of the game, he's probably never going to develop into a real franchise QB.  In that case, he'd likely be just another first round draft pick who gets four or five years --- possibly even a second contract as Sanchez and Tannehill did -- to prove he's not much more than an adequate backup.   The Bills might win some games with that kind of QB -- Jacksonville almost went to the Super Bowl with Bortles in 2017 -- so he could still have a positive impact on the team for a time, but in the end, he'll never be the real solution for the team.   So, it's a double whammy for Allen.

The article -- and the thread -- is about players who are under pressure.  If it were about coaches, McDermott would be at the head of the list if the offense stinks as badly as it did last season since McDermott is ultimately responsible for selecting his assistants.  He can't be considered a competent HC if he hires two duds at OC within three years.  He needs to return to being a DC.

Thread title does say “Buffalo Bills” and is not specific to players only.

McDermott would feel the heat for sure if Allen is stagnant but I think Daboll would be fired instantly.  McDermott probably gets to stick around for another year.  Just my opinion. 

1. Shaq Lawson - One of the last Pre-McBeane players on the roster.  Seemingly been on the bubble for 2 seasons now but showed some growth last year.  They declined the option, so Shaq is now playing for his future here or future FA.  If he wants to be a starter in the NFL, its going to come down to this year IMO.
  2. Zay Jones - Facing more competition this year and needs to take a step forward after a bad rookie year and a meh 2nd year. 
  3. Dion Dawkins - We brought in like 90 new OL, he has no leash.  I do think he will respond well to having more talent around him like he did his rookie year though, but there are multiple guys now who could take his job if he struggles.  
  4. Trent Murphy - Needs to show he can be a starting DE and stay healthy or he will be out of a job here next year.
  5. LeSean McCoy - I had a hard time putting him on this list as this is most likely his last year regardless of what he does.  However, he will be under a lot of pressure to remain the starter all year.  Gore may be older, but he was way more productive last year behind a pretty bad OL himself.  And Devin I think is going to surprise some people and be a hard guy to keep off the field.  

That would be my list.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:
  1. Shaq Lawson - One of the last Pre-McBeane players on the roster.  Seemingly been on the bubble for 2 seasons now but showed some growth last year.  They declined the option, so Shaq is now playing for his future here or future FA.  If he wants to be a starter in the NFL, its going to come down to this year IMO.
  2. Zay Jones - Facing more competition this year and needs to take a step forward after a bad rookie year and a meh 2nd year. 
  3. Dion Dawkins - We brought in like 90 new OL, he has no leash.  I do think he will respond well to having more talent around him like he did his rookie year though, but there are multiple guys now who could take his job if he struggles.  
  4. Trent Murphy - Needs to show he can be a starting DE and stay healthy or he will be out of a job here next year.
  5. LeSean McCoy - I had a hard time putting him on this list as this is most likely his last year regardless of what he does.  However, he will be under a lot of pressure to remain the starter all year.  Gore may be older, but he was way more productive last year behind a pretty bad OL himself.  And Devin I think is going to surprise some people and be a hard guy to keep off the field.  

That would be my list.

Do you think that is Beane's list?

I like Tre White for this list - not in the same way as most of the others, but pressure to put up a Pro Bowl type season - either step up and put up name-recognition stats that make it a no-brainer to get a big 2nd contract from the Bills.  This is his year to prove he can be consistently, demonstrably GREAT

2 minutes ago, Just Joshin' said:

Do you think that is Beane's list?

Well, dont know if thats a fair question.  The pressure is on the players, they are the ones with something at stake.  So dont know Beane has a list per se.  Some of those guys aren't even under contract next year, so not sure Beane sees that as pressure situations, its more about is he going to want to try and bring them back or not or look to FA/Draft for upgrades.  

I think Beane will feel pressure more on the OL being a significant upgrade given the amount he invested into it this year.  Also seeing Josh Allen take a big step given the expectations are much higher this year and he has more to work with around him now with the OL, WR, TE, and RB additions that were made.  

1 minute ago, Mark Vader said:

You really think he is under a lot of pressure this season?

Yeah I didn't really get that choice either.  He is just going to be in a rotation this year, Oliver is the penciled in starter and we still have Jordan too.  So I cant really see how Harrison is under any big pressure right now.  Now had we not drafted Oliver, then yes I could see it as Harrison would be looked to be a bigger contributor and more of a Kyle replacement.  But when Oliver landed in our lap, that all went out the window and now just dont see him as under pressure.

I already listed my 5, but one more should have an honorable mention for being under pressure:  Duke Williams

As Duke himself has even said, this may be his best chance and possibly his last good chance to make an NFL roster.  None of the other teams have a wide open WR competition like this where there are really no locks at any spot other than near locks with Cole in the slot and Andre for KR/PR skills.  There are no established studs here and will be given every single chance to win a spot, even a starting spot.

So just on that fact alone, there is going to be a lot of pressure Duke will feel and face to stand out here this summer and preseason to try and remain on this roster or get picked up by someone else if Bills still didn't keep him.

Shaq Lawson?  Under pressure? I've never seen a No. 1 Pick skate by with as little pressure as this guy.  Most Bills fans wouldn't be able to identify him in a police line up. And before you all flame me...that's not saying he's a bust. It's just saying that he's really not been much of anything at all.

To me it’s very simply a list of all the recent top draft pick expected to be step to the next level and do what they’ve never done.

Josh needs to play like a top 15 QBthis year, anything less and his supporters will start to question him while his detractors will come out in droves. They are pinning the hopes of the franchise on him. He’s under the most pressure on the 53. 

Edmunds was sold as a young raw leader of the defense. He’s going to have to lead on the field, not just off of it. Bad angles, biting on play action need to be solved, and he needs to be a good to great MLB. No one will tolerate any less. He is expected to lead the defense. Second most pressure in terms of rising expectation vs on field performance last year. 

Ed Oliver was drafted 9th overall at a position where rookies are expected to and often do make an impact. He’s replacing (not exactly, but the narrative will evolve)  a near Bills legend. If he doesn’t look like a stud up front early, expect a very unfair overreaction. Donald with whom he is compared, was 13th overall and DROY.... Pressure...

Dawkins?  Maybe. 

Not so much pressure in my view... 

Lawson? Meh, he’s settling in to who he is.  Probably will move on and make 5-10 million more as a role guy. He not an elite defensive end, won’t likely be one, won’t likely be paid like one. Even if he gets paid for what he is, he will have a decent career. 

Zay? He showed last season he can be a NFL WR. He may never be a 1 or even a two.  He will find work for the next 5 years worst case. Zay knows he can get open, run routes and I’ve seen him figure out how to catch. Adding the other WRs takes a lot of pressure off him in my view. He will make the team whether he starts or not. 

Shady- his only pressure is from himself. He’s set for life, or should be.  He’s had a fringe HoF career. He’s still seemingly healthy. At this point he’s chasing a few individual records and each year he gets a contract is gravy. He will be able to get a few more years somewhere if he wants it as a situational back, worst case... 

all the free agents? They all know they can play already.  There is very little pressure in my mind living up to a free agent deal. So many haven’t it’s almost expected. 

The 

2 hours ago, BillsfaninSB said:

Daboll.   By a mile.  If Allen and this offense flames out, not only does he get fired but he  might not get a decent gig in awhile.  

If Allen flourishes, he could be a HC somewhere in a few years. 

...disagree with "by a mile"......plenty of new toys to sort out and work with....."significant improvement in the offense" is a reasonable expectation.....