Buffalo Bills mandatory minicamp June 11-13.

9 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Love this!

This is great stuff. Glad these guys are pushing each other in practice.

You play like you practice and you practice like you’re coached. McD and this staff seem to have these guys on the same page and moving in the right direction. 

Really looking forward to the camp competitions. 

47 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

At what point are we allowed to be concerned about Josh? 

Training camp. OTAs is all install stuff and defenses league wide tend to be ahead of offenses at this stage. Add in that the Bills defense is really good and returning 10 starters and the offense might only return 3 or 4 including Josh Allen (and that the main new guys on offense - Morse, Spain, Beasley and Brown especially - have all missed time) and I think it is very much to be expected. 

The offense has to catch up and catch up quickly in camp. 

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Training camp. OTAs is all install stuff and defenses league wide tend to be ahead of offenses at this stage. Add in that the Bills defense is really good and returning 10 starters and the offense might only return 3 or 4 including Josh Allen (and that the main new guys on offense - Morse, Spain, Beasley and Brown especially - have all missed time) and I think it is very much to be expected. 

The offense has to catch up and catch up quickly in camp. 

And I doubt they will.  The defense is going to be ahead of the offense all summer and there will be much consternation on this board.  I'm looking at the bigger picture; namely, that practicing against the Bills' very good defense will provide Josh with the preparation he needs, so that when the regular season hits he and the offense will be "ready."

I think we're going to see a good bit of struggles from the offense early on; the key will be not to overreact and to allow all of these new pieces to gel.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

11starts into his career at OTAs with 3 of his top WRs out after one great and one bad practice seems like the right time to panic. Live in the moment brother. 

• Haha (+1) 3

If Allen struggles in TC, this could get ugly.

I don't think McDermott can last through another crappy season.  Beane will want his guy to play.  The whole Orton year all over again (Who knows if is the starter from game 1 if we make the playoffs).

My media friend has also told me that Barkley looks really sharp, which could complicate it more.

2 minutes ago, Ittakestime said:

If Allen struggles in TC, this could get ugly.

I don't think McDermott can last through another crappy season.  Beane will want his guy to play.  The whole Orton year all over again (Who knows if is the starter from game 1 if we make the playoffs).

My media friend has also told me that Barkley looks really sharp, which could complicate it more.

I'm putting this out here, not just for you, but for everyone "worrying" that Josh might not tear it up in training camp:

Perspective

6 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Hell if you want to worry go right ahead, it's your heart attack.  You can worry about all sorts of things such as an asteroid smashing into the earth and wiping us all out - it's a free country! 

Edited by CincyBillsFan

5 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

That's not an easy question to answer.

He's an extremely young player, who had a lot of development needed to succeed in the league.  At this point, he's only had 12 games and 11 starts.  His supporting cast was terrible last year.  And although the front office made massive upgrades in the offseason, that also means we've got 8 new starters going into mini-camp. 

As the season progresses (training camp, preseason, then Weeks #1-16), I think you will start to get a feel for where Josh Allen is headed in the NFL. 

- Is he taking steps forward?  Staying stagnant?  Or have defenses figured out how to contain his scrambling, and he's going backwards?

- Are his mechanics and accuracy improving?  Or is he still missing too many easy throws?

- How does his decision-making look?  Is he getting better at reading defenses, or is he constantly looking lost and confused?

I know a lot of people are going to be disappointed if Allen isn't a finished product by Week 4, and playing at a Pro-Bowl level by mid-season.  

But at this point of his career, I don't think we need to be setting deadlines.  We just need to be watching for steady improvement and progress.  If he reaches a point where that stops, then it may be time to start worrying.

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

He is a second year quarterback. If you think he is going to be perfect you are going to be disappointed. This year I want to see a 2 to 1 ‘good game’ to ‘bad game’ ratio. Allen is going to progressively get better. Preseason is helpfully but as we witnessed last year, preseason QB play isn’t the same as regular season. 

• Like (+1) 2

As others have noted it's to be expected that the Bills defense, which will be a top 5 defense this year and is returning most of it's starters would be WAY ahead of a retooled offense with a 2nd year QB IN FREAKING JUNE. 

And as others have said Allen and the rest of the offense will get better by practicing against an elite defense.

I'm picking the Bills to win 10 or 11 games this year and make the playoffs.  They'll do that on the back of their defense and with some big plays out of Allen & the offense.  But this will be a defensive minded team which means they'll try to run the ball on offense, limit TO's, gain field position and play outstanding special teams.  They're going to win a lot of games 20 - 13. 

This worry about whether Allen missed a swing pass or whether he's struggling against a near elite secondary with mostly back-up receivers IN JUNE is bizarre to me. 

• Like (+1) 3

16 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

That's not an easy question to answer.

He's an extremely young player, who had a lot of development needed to succeed in the league.  At this point, he's only had 12 games and 11 starts.  His supporting cast was terrible last year.  And although the front office made massive upgrades in the offseason, that also means we've got 8 new starters going into mini-camp. 

As the season progresses (training camp, preseason, then Weeks #1-16), I think you will start to get a feel for where Josh Allen is headed in the NFL. 

- Is he taking steps forward?  Staying stagnant?  Or have defenses figured out how to contain his scrambling, and he's going backwards?

- Are his mechanics and accuracy improving?  Or is he still missing too many easy throws?

- How does his decision-making look?  Is he getting better at reading defenses, or is he constantly looking lost and confused?

I know a lot of people are going to be disappointed if Allen isn't a finished product by Week 4, and playing at a Pro-Bowl level by mid-season.  

But at this point of his career, I don't think we need to be setting deadlines.  We just need to be watching for steady improvement and progress.  If he reaches a point where that stops, then it may be time to start worrying.

Great post.

As another poster noted we can realistically expect that if Allen is the guy he'll have 2 good games for every 1 bad game this year.  But that means he's going to have a couple of stinkers.  That's where the defense comes in. 

My goodness there isn't enough Lithium in the world to handle Bills fans if they get depressed by their 2nd year QB making a couple of bad throws in JUNE! 

13 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Great post.

As another poster noted we can realistically expect that if Allen is the guy he'll have 2 good games for every 1 bad game this year.  But that means he's going to have a couple of stinkers.  That's where the defense comes in. 

My goodness there isn't enough Lithium in the world to handle Bills fans if they get depressed by their 2nd year QB making a couple of bad throws in JUNE! 

On Tuesday he was on his way to Canton so he’s behind on the 2:1 ratio. Panic!

• Like (+1) 1