I’m proud of our Bills.

4 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

It's definitely the primary reason.  We could have Matt Millen as our GM and Rich Kotite as our coach and we'd still be optimistic as long as we believed we found our franchise QB.  However, the strong play of our defense and the feeling that we have a coach/GM that know what the hell they are doing also adds to the optimism.

Josh IS the prime reason, and it's crazy how important the QB position is. Even when you "know it", things change so much for the better when you feel you have that elite guy, at last.

BUT, you still got to surround him. Recall the fear with a "project QB" like Josh was that McD had no track record of growing young QBs nor anyone on the staff, he was a defensive minded coach, and on and on. Yet they've coached him very well so far, DA was a great addition for him, and quite clear the greater majority of what Beane (and McD surely) have been doing this offseason is to surround Josh for his particular skill set. Daboll flexible and intelligent to work around his and the players' strengths. They get it. They get that their own jobs are guaranteed for years if Allen is the real deal, that it's the #1 way to win.

And THAT gives me and a lot of people deep rooted hope, it's not just Josh. It's setting him up for success. Not everybody can be a #1 pick like Mayfield and get surrounded with such talent from the get go! He too has superstar written all over him but no doubt he won out the lottery ha ha.

9 hours ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

There’s a different feel to this team from the past generation of going nowhere squads that is evident and palpable imho, in a good way. :thumbsup:

You know, HUDS. doesn't it seem like that with this team in this city it was always going to have to be something a little different to make this franchise go forward?

I don't picture San Diego, Houston or KC being built or structured the way we are and they are generally successful.  However, I just don't see us being like those teams. 

Like others have said I don't know how proud I am of this team (yet), but I will say I really do like thinking about them a lot and it doesn't turn my stomach. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, StHustle said:

Flutie sucked?

1998: 7-3

1999: 10-5

2000: 4-1

All 3 seasons he won at least twice as many games as he lost and was a pro bowler on top of the last QB to lead us to a playoff appearance before the drought. 

He sucked tho according to you....smh

And don't give the defense all the credit for his win/loss record. We had many great defensive years during the drought. 

Give the defense most of the credit.  

Flute had some moments of joy.  He was fun to watch (sometimes). He got some wins.  I don’t think Flutie “sucked”.  I’m sure he wasn’t “good”.  Somewhere in between, which isn’t very good when you’re a QB.  You need to be more than that.

12 hours ago, MichaelAbdallah said:

Josh Allen is the singular reason why we are currently feeling optimistic about the Bills. I can recall a variety of similar feel-good stories and general positivity with each previous regime post-Levy that the football media fed us. But none of that mattered because Todd Collins sucked, Rob Johnson sucked, Doug Flutie sucked, Drew Bledsoe sucked, JP Losman sucked, Trent Edwards sucked, Ryan Fitzpatrick sucked, EJ Manuel sucked, and Tyrod Taylor sucked. But Josh Allen feels different from all of the aforementioned. He has an impressive collection of QB skills and attributes (physical but also mental) that none of those guys ever had. And at the moment, he DOES NOT YET DEFINITIVELY SUCK.

You must be a young fan.   Bledsoe certainly did not suck.  In 2002, his first season in Buffalo, he set single season records for yards, attempts, and completions.  Better than Kelly Reed Lofton Thurman days.  The dude was the youngest player in NFL history to hit the 10,000-yard mark (played in pro bowl at age 22), and was well over 4,000 yards passing that awesome year with Moulds and Peerless going over 1250 yds each. 

He was #2 in the league in passing that year, ahead of Manning, Brady, Brees, Favre (I assume you've heard of those guys).  That's not sucking, that's being awesome.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, NewEra said:

Flute had some moments of joy.  He was fun to watch (sometimes). He got some wins.  I don’t think Flutie “sucked”.  I’m sure he wasn’t “good”.  Somewhere in between, which isn’t very good when you’re a QB.  You need to be more than that.

I think this is the point OP was trying to make. The somewhere in between doesn't get the job done. Facing teams like KC or the Pats in this day and age requires above average play from the QB position. Odds are without a good QB going deep into the playoffs are slim. Odds are winning a Championship requires going through arguably the best QB that every played the game in Tom Brady.

Lots riding on the big shoulders of Josh Allen...

...One Buffalo Strong...

14 hours ago, Tipster19 said:

Of course winning is big and right or wrong that’s how they are going to be judged because that’s the nature of the beast.

Looking past that though I see something  different about them. When I pulled up a link from the Bills’ app I noticed something collectively about them. Every one of them are wearing some of the best smiles. 

There’s something to be said about this culture thing. These guys are out there in the community doing positive things. I know that our teams in the past and other teams’ do as well but our guys appear to be genuinely having a blast. The children looked thrilled as well. Players impacting young lives and making fantastic memories for these kids, honing their imaginations, reinforcing great self esteem in themselves. Yeah, I’m proud of them.

Results are never fast enough but I do believe that the Bills are doing it the right way and hopefully in the very near future (1 or 2 seasons) they will be very competitive year after year, sustaining all the teaching and training that has poured into them these last few years.

I think that I see in a change in them and I just wanted to recognize it/them. Kudos to Beane and McDermott for all the invested time that they spent in trying to make a difference in a franchise, team, players, fans and in general the whole community. We’re fortunate to have them. I think that the Bills have finally got it right. ?????

Check out how the players and children interacted. Looks like that they all had a great time.

Bills Mobile: Bills Play 60 Field Day at Hillview Elementary

https://www.buffalobills.com/photos/bills-play-60-field-day-at-hillview-elementary

i am proud of the steps they have taken....that is a separate issue then production.   I would now like to be proud of a playoff team.

10 minutes ago, Da webster guy said:

You must be a young fan.   Bledsoe certainly did not suck.  In 2002, his first season in Buffalo, he set single season records for yards, attempts, and completions.  Better than Kelly Reed Lofton Thurman days.  The dude was the youngest player in NFL history to hit the 10,000-yard mark (played in pro bowl at age 22), and was well over 4,000 yards passing that awesome year with Moulds and Peerless going over 1250 yds each. 

He was #2 in the league in passing that year, ahead of Manning, Brady, Brees, Favre (I assume you've heard of those guys).  That's not sucking, that's being awesome.

I was clearly being flippant when I posted that. By "suck" I mean wasn't a "franchise QB" while in Buffalo. Flutie, Bledsoe, Fitzpatrick, Taylor...all of these guys were more mediocre than bad. By the way, I'm actually 37 years old and have been following this team religiously since the Bickering Bills of 1989. I'm well aware of Bledsoe's 2002 season, but I also remember him kind of sucking for the rest of that season after a post-Halloween game against the Patriots.

To the Flutie apologists: I'm not going to delve into this tired topic, but those Wade Phillips defenses were outstanding and carried those teams in the late 90's...and you know it. Flutie's unpredictable scrambling ability was certainly preferable to Rob Johnson's inevitable sack/turnover/injury, but Flutie was always just a "meh" QB. Maybe not "suck," but just "meh." By the way, I still vividly remember names like Jerry Ostroski, Jamie Nails, Corbin Lacina, Billy Conaty, Victor Allotey, and Joe Panos. Neither QB was ever going to win a Super Bowl behind that garbage OL, so I'm completely over that era of Bills football. You should be too.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, NewEra said:

Best QB win loss record since Kelly's Glory days, made the pro bowl, led us to the playoffs...but yeah we can say he was good.

C'mon man...he wasn't great but overall Flutie was a good QB for us. You have to score points and protect the ball to win even with the greatest of defenses as we've seen over the drought. 

8 hours ago, Cripple Creek said:

Yes and he was a cancer on the team. Not a process guy & not a guy with the physical attributes to make it through an entire NFL season.

Any knowledgeable fan can say with confidence he would have won that Titans wildcard game...and people call him a cancer cause he and half the team was furious. The same Titans team we had against the ropes went on to barely lose the superbowl. That was our year to take the AFC. Ralph not only let Flutie down but the whole team who worked so hard to get there by deciding to start RJ.

Since when is part of the "process" getting benched for your back up after an 11-5 season?? Being a process guy doesn't include letting yourself get run over and done any kind of way ESPECIALLY when your own coach agrees with you but the owner stepped in and made a ridiculous decision. He didn't cause the locker room to split. That naturally happened with that BS move Ralph pulled.

Edited by StHustle
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, StHustle said:

Best QB win loss record since Kelly's Glory days, made the pro bowl, led us to the playoffs...but yeah we can say he was good.

C'mon man...he wasn't great but overall Flutie was a good QB for us. You have to score points and protect the ball to win even with the greatest of defenses as we've seen over the drought. 

Any knowledgeable fan can say with confidence he would have won that Titans wildcard game...and people call him a cancer cause he and half the team was furious. The same Titans team we had against the ropes went on to barely lose the superbowl. That was our year to take the AFC. Ralph not only let Flutie down but the whole team who worked so hard to get there by deciding to start RJ.

Since when is part of the "process" getting benched for your back up after an 11-5 season?? Being a process guy doesn't include letting yourself get run over and done any kind of way ESPECIALLY when your own coach agrees with you but the owner stepped in and made a ridiculous decision. He didn't cause the locker room to split. That naturally happened with that BS move Ralph pulled.

He was bleh imo.  Tyrod esque 

20 hours ago, StHustle said:

Flutie sucked?

1998: 7-3

1999: 10-5

2000: 4-1

All 3 seasons he won at least twice as many games as he lost and was a pro bowler on top of the last QB to lead us to a playoff appearance before the drought. 

He sucked tho according to you....smh

And don't give the defense all the credit for his win/loss record. We had many great defensive years during the drought. 

Flutie was a poor man's Trent Dilfer. It WAS our #1 ranked Wade Phillips defense that lead to success. Lost in the RJ/Flutie debate was the fact that NEITHER of them were good. That was a SB caliber team if they had a real QB.

14 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Agreed. Flutie sucked. Granted, he was a ‘try hard, never quit’ guy who garnered the admiration of every under sized, under skilled underdog, but for the most part we won despite him. For all the meddling Ralph was infamous for, I agreed with demanding Rob Johnson start. It’s been a point of contention in my household since (Son was a ‘Flutie guy’) and it doesn’t help my cause that Johnson was a dud. But we had Super Bowl talent all over those teams, sans QB, and we had to try something other than the freak to capitalize on it. $25M & a 1st Rd pick to Jacksonville sealed our fate.

Flutie really light it up in San Diego! Well, that one game against us anyways. Most overrated(by some) player in franchise history.

8 hours ago, Da webster guy said:

Losing to the Harrisburg Steelers for a playoff spot erases anything positive Bledsoe did in a Bills uniform.

Edited by LSHMEAB

6 hours ago, StHustle said:

Please. Flutie had his chance in the playoffs the previous year and he lost to a team that lost the following week by 100 points. Fumbled the game away. RJ lost (on a pretty rare play) to a team that went to the SB.

8 hours ago, Da webster guy said:

Bledsoe had all of the talent in the world. If he could have run better...who knows!

8 hours ago, StHustle said:

Color me unknowedgable then. 

Any semi-knowledgeable fan knows Johnson put us IN THE LEAD with 16 seconds left against the AFCs best team that year and was undefeated at Home. The change was made because that isn’t opponent criteria Flutie ever won an NFL game in.

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, StHustle said:

Any knowledgeable fan can say with confidence he would have won that Titans wildcard game...

HàaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

oh wait, you were serious?

AAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

hoo man that was a knee-slapper

7 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

Please. Flutie had his chance in the playoffs the previous year and he lost to a team that lost the following week by 100 points. Fumbled the game away. RJ lost (on a pretty rare play) to a team that went to the SB.

^ this is what knowledgeable fans know, sthustle

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

17 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

Do you seriously think Rob Johnson was the better QB? Should we have replaced J K with Reich because of what Kelly did the 3 previous Superbowls? No, of course not, you stick to what got you there. If there was such things as football gods and bad karma do you think benching the magic flute for surfer dude earned us any brownie points? Music City miracle should have never happened.

One football god says to another " Buffalo doesn't deserve a good QB"

Other football god snickers and says " Lets give them good CB's instead" 

I'm just saying...

(Sorry OP for straying off topic)

Edited by Figster

I'm proud of us Bills fans that we are able to recognize what we have and be grateful no matter what.  Lets all give ourselves a round of applause.  I'm also very proud of myself and this thread that I enhanced with my posts.  Lets all give me a big round of applause!!  And lets all give three cheers for lithium!!!! Hip, hip...Hooray!!!

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

I'm proud of us Bills fans that we are able to recognize what we have and be grateful no matter what.  Lets all give ourselves a round of applause.  I'm also very proud of myself and this thread that I enhanced with my posts.  Lets all give me a big round of applause!!  And lets all give three cheers for lithium!!!! Hip, hip...Hooray!!!

Thread kinda gives talking football X's and O's a whoke new meaning.

Hugs for all...

...kisses for the Mrs...

• Haha (+1) 1