ESPN: per father, David "Big Papi" Ortiz shot in the DR.

2 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

It's generally understood what the term means, man.

I mean most people think it’s an economic designation. It had nothing to do with economics 50 years ago

people say or use 3rd world as a synonym for s***hole but it’s just political alliances 

16 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I don’t think most people know where the term first world , 2nd world and third world countries come from. It has nothing to do with economic status

during the Cold War the allied nations called all countries on allies side first world.. the neutral countries were third world 

and countries that sided with communists were called second world. They were political designations not exactly economic designations

tho most 3rd world countries are developing 

...perhaps California should take lessons, right??.........

15 hours ago, mrags said:

The Dominican has been a hot spot for crime lately. Deaths of 5 tourists in the last few weeks. 3 of which were suspected stuffing/poisoning and 2 others happened to be found weeks later in the rental car in the sea. Now the most famous Dominican ever (probabaly) is shot. Planning a vacation there next year and either I cancel that, or look forward to cheaper hotel deals. 

I was just about to say, you couldn't pay me to travel to the DR these days.

Going to the Dominican Republic right now might not be a good choice.

Banging a Dominican drug lord's wife in the Dominican Republic DEFINITELY IS A BAD CHOICE.

It's also what got Big Papi shot.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

Going to the Dominican Republic right now might not be a good choice.

Banging a Dominican drug lord's wife in the Dominican Republic DEFINITELY IS A BAD CHOICE.

It's also what got Big Papi shot.

Wait... What???

3 hours ago, Misterbluesky said:

Aruba has seen a spike in crime...because of Venezuela.

Shhhhhh. There’s snowflakes here that disagree with this all around. Venezuelans are all good people. 

Just now, Joe in Winslow said:

Yeah, Maybe the case, but gotta think of all the angles.

I’ve been there before. And if you haven’t, DR is actually quite nice. It’s Haiti that is the problem. And I’d imagine now the migration of illegals from central and southern America isn’t helping. 

• Like (+1) 1

Maybe they don't adhere to the "don't shoot the messenger" mantra down there.

Papi's been known to deliver messages to the masses in Beantown.

.....just sayin' ?.

Edited by I am the egg man

By Danielle Wallace | Fox News  

Published 6 hours ago

Retired Red Sox player David Ortiz landed in Boston in an air ambulance Monday night after a targeted shooting at a bar in Santo Domingo forced doctors in his home nation of the Dominican Republic to remove his gallbladder and part of his intestine.

Ortiz, 43, arrived in Boston around 10:30 p.m. after the Red Sox sent a plane to transport him to Massachusetts General Hospital. The former MLB player known best by the nickname “Big Papi” was shot at close range in the torso Sunday night at the Dial Bar and Lounge in Santo Domingo.

"Our medical team here in Boston and the doctors in the Dominican Republic have confirmed that David’s condition is still serious, but that he is stable enough to be transported back here to Boston for continued care," Red Sox President Sam Kennedy told Boston’s WCVB.

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy