ESPN: per father, David "Big Papi" Ortiz shot in the DR.

The Dominican has been a hot spot for crime lately. Deaths of 5 tourists in the last few weeks. 3 of which were suspected stuffing/poisoning and 2 others happened to be found weeks later in the rental car in the sea. Now the most famous Dominican ever (probabaly) is shot. Planning a vacation there next year and either I cancel that, or look forward to cheaper hotel deals. 

Apparently the bullet hit no organs and Ortiz is out of surgery doing "fine."

Expected to make a full recovery.

The incident is a weird story; the shooter arrived at the nightclub on motorcycle, walked into the club, and shot Ortiz in the back at point blank range  as though he was targeted.  Police trying to figure out if this genius targeted the wrong person.

A mob jumped the gunman and a fight ensued; he got beat up and was eventually subdued.  

I don't understand why average Americans vacation in places like the DR, Jamaica or Mexico. All you are doing is painting a big target on your utterly defenseless back in a crime-ridden, corrupt area. 

If David Ortiz, who is probably the most famous Dominican in the world today, and who happens to also be physically imposing, can get shot having a beer in his native country, your odds of not having something bad happen to you are really low in these places.  

1 hour ago, dpberr said:

I don't understand why average Americans vacation in places like the DR, Jamaica or Mexico. All you are doing is painting a big target on your utterly defenseless back in a crime-ridden, corrupt area. 

If David Ortiz, who is probably the most famous Dominican in the world today, and who happens to also be physically imposing, can get shot having a beer in his native country, your odds of not having something bad happen to you are really low in these places.  

How about moving there? I have a buddy who retired his desk jockey job, moved to Puerta Plata and opened a beachside cafe on the Malecon. He even married a local woman and had a daughter. He lives in the barrio where the wife grew up and he hustles his stateside friends to send him PayPal donations to get clothes and school supplies for kids. Talk about a change in lifestyle, but he loves it

But he'd be the first to tell you how effed up the DR is. If you're curious...

https://bigleesbeachbar.com/phone/index.html

I'm a lifelong Sox fan and I still want to say something snarky, but I won't. The guy got shot. No reason to kick him after that. I hope he has a speedy and full recovery. 

Edited by snafu

2 hours ago, dpberr said:

Jamaica was pretty awesome.  My ex and I got lost and our phones wouldn't get service to call another taxi after we left the bar.  

We were about 3 miles from our hotel and we started walking down the dark roads at like 1:00 am by ourselves.  This kid came out of a house made of cinder blocks and offered to give us a ride for $5.00.  We walked probably a mile before we got a ride.  

When I say kid, I think he was like 11 or 12 but knew how to drive a car.

3 hours ago, dpberr said:

They have nice beaches.. and you generally get a lot more for your money in those places than say Florida..  Food, Drink, Excursions, etc.

Generally the resorts are very safe but the whole poisoning thing is very scary.  

59 minutes ago, snafu said:

I'm a lifelong Six fan and I still want to say something snarky, but I won't. The guy got shot. No reason to kick him after that. I hope he has a speedy and full recovery. 

The massive amount of PED’s he took after leaving the Twins organization should help. :thumbsup:

57 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Jamaica was pretty awesome.  My ex and I got lost and our phones wouldn't get service to call another taxi after we left the bar.  

We were about 3 miles from our hotel and we started walking down the dark roads at like 1:00 am by ourselves.  This kid came out of a house made of cinder blocks and offered to give us a ride for $5.00.  We walked probably a mile before we got a ride.  

When I say kid, I think he was like 11 or 12 but knew how to drive a car.

Sounds fun 

Ortiz may have suffered organ damage from shooting

Travis Andersen-Boston Globe
2 hrs ago

Doctors who treated retired Red Sox slugger David Ortiz after he was shot Sunday night in Santo Domingo had to remove part of his intestines, colon, gall bladder, and liver, according to published reports.

The outlet Diaro Libre, citing a representative for Ortiz, provided the details on the life-saving measures taken by doctors at the Abel Gonzalez clinic.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/ortiz-may-have-suffered-organ-damage-from-shooting/ar-AACFnC3?li=BBnb7Kz

11 hours ago, mrags said:

The Dominican has been a hot spot for crime lately. Deaths of 5 tourists in the last few weeks. 3 of which were suspected stuffing/poisoning and 2 others happened to be found weeks later in the rental car in the sea. Now the most famous Dominican ever (probabaly) is shot. Planning a vacation there next year and either I cancel that, or look forward to cheaper hotel deals. 

It's a third world country, man.  Gotta expect crime.

35 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

Ortiz may have suffered organ damage from shooting

Travis Andersen-Boston Globe
2 hrs ago

Doctors who treated retired Red Sox slugger David Ortiz after he was shot Sunday night in Santo Domingo had to remove part of his intestines, colon, gall bladder, and liver, according to published reports.

The outlet Diaro Libre, citing a representative for Ortiz, provided the details on the life-saving measures taken by doctors at the Abel Gonzalez clinic.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/ortiz-may-have-suffered-organ-damage-from-shooting/ar-AACFnC3?li=BBnb7Kz

Damn, hope pulls through. I'm not a fan, but hate to hear things like this happen topeople that are basically doing nothing to hurt anyone. Lot of people seem to be getting killed here lately over in the DR.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

It's a third world country, man.  Gotta expect crime.

I don’t think most people know where the term first world , 2nd world and third world countries come from. It has nothing to do with economic status

during the Cold War the allied nations called all countries on allies side first world.. the neutral countries were third world 

and countries that sided with communists were called second world. They were political designations not exactly economic designations

tho most 3rd world countries are developing 

3 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I don’t think most people know where the term first world , 2nd world and third world countries come from. It has nothing to do with economic status

during the Cold War the allied nations called all countries on allies side first world.. the neutral countries were third world 

and countries that sided with communists were called second world. They were political designations not exactly economic designations

tho most 3rd world countries are developing 

It's generally understood what the term means, man.