No Women's World Cup thread?

3 hours ago, unbillievable said:

He's saying the average man is more atheletic than an Olympic woman.

There's a big gap between the elite women's teams and most of the tournament field. But a good fight is always entertaining. You could tell there was bad blood between England and Scotland.

Japan/Argentina @12 and Canada/Cameroon @3 today. USA/Thailand is @3 Tuesday, last match of the opening round.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

The only games I'll watch are the US women...I just can't stay interested in women's soccer and basketball because the level of athleticism/speed is so far below the men's game.  I don't think that makes me a misogynist -- I just enjoy the men's game more and if I have limited time to watch sporting events I'll choose just about anything over a women's team game.

One notable exception is women's volleyball -- both indoor and beach.  Love watching both of these during the Olympics.

49 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

There's a big gap between the elite women's teams and most of the tournament field. But a good fight is always entertaining. You could tell there was bad blood between England and Scotland.

Japan/Argentina @12 and Canada/Cameroon @3 today. USA/Thailand is @3 Tuesday, last match of the opening round.

If it's entertaining to watch equally matched opponents, then just send a bunch of 5yr olds out there.

33 minutes ago, eball said:

The only games I'll watch are the US women...I just can't stay interested in women's soccer and basketball because the level of athleticism/speed is so far below the men's game.  I don't think that makes me a misogynist -- I just enjoy the men's game more and if I have limited time to watch sporting events I'll choose just about anything over a women's team game.

One notable exception is women's volleyball -- both indoor and beach.  Love watching both of these during the Olympics.

Women's sports that excel above men's usually involve some form of balance; like dance. So the only women's sports I pay attention to are gymnastics and figure skating. Volleyball, never did anything for me.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, unbillievable said:

He's saying the average man is more atheletic than an Olympic woman.

And that kid he knew could be more athletic than some men on the Olympic team. The difference is that they're just MUCH better at soccer than him. 

The women aren't there because they're super fast and strong. They're in the Olympics because they're great at soccer.

Please share your thoughts with your daughters and daughters of your friends. I don't mean summarize it, let them see what you said and what others are saying about the best soccer players in the world, because they are women. 

It's good that they know people like you exist, not just in theory, but in their lives. 

--

On to the soccer, the USWNT team is the best but the world continues to close the gap. In the last few cups, there was maybe one team each year (or 2 max) that could take them out in any given match. Now that number is 4-5. They should cruise through the Group stage except for maybe a little competition from Sweden. These first 3 games are a warm-up for them. 

Sinclair could break Wambach's record in this World Cup. That would be fun--she will definitely break the record, but better to do it on this stage than some other match that won't get as much attention. 

Edited by BeginnersMind
  • Like (+1) 1

I only get annoyed by cries from WNBA and USWNT members for equal pay, when clearly they don't rake in an equal amount of money.

This type of crowd wouldn't be seen at any men's WC game:

D8oaghqXkAIjQ6k.jpg:large

• Thank you (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, bbb said:

I only get annoyed by cries from WNBA and USWNT members for equal pay, when clearly they don't rake in an equal amount of money.

This type of crowd wouldn't be seen at any men's WC game:

D8oaghqXkAIjQ6k.jpg:large

a) They aren't asking for equal pay, just pay commensurate with the revenue they generate.

b) FIFA isn't giving away TV rights for this, are they?

21 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

a) They aren't asking for equal pay, just pay commensurate with the revenue they generate.

b) FIFA isn't giving away TV rights for this, are they?

a) For soccer: 

Abby Wambach Won’t Stop Until the U.S. Women’s Soccer Team Gets Equal Pay

https://www.glamour.com/story/abby-wambach-womens-soccer-lawsuit-interview

For the WNBA, I think that would mean the players would be paying to play, since the NBA losses money on it.

b.)  I have no idea what that means. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, bbb said:

a) For soccer: 

Abby Wambach Won’t Stop Until the U.S. Women’s Soccer Team Gets Equal Pay

https://www.glamour.com/story/abby-wambach-womens-soccer-lawsuit-interview

For the WNBA, I think that would mean the players would be paying to play, since the NBA losses money on it.

b.)  I have no idea what that means. 

B) means that FIFA gets TV $$$$ that ought to go to the players in a proportional manner 

Just curious, why so upset over people trying to do better for themselves?

4 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

B) means that FIFA gets TV $$$$ that ought to go to the players in a proportional manner 

Just curious, why so upset over people trying to do better for themselves?

So, you make a claim in A saying that I'm wrong.  I show evidence that I'm right, and then you just skip to B?

I am all for people bettering themselves.  What I'm not for is making up victimhood excuses to do so.  

For soccer, if your assertion "They aren't asking for equal pay, just pay commensurate with the revenue they generate" is or was right, I'd be 100% good with that..............Also, I do not know where the money comes from for the USWNT.  They probably are as popular as the men's team in the US.  I know more players and have for 20 years than I do on the men's side................But, I would think part of their money is based on entire world of FIFA/World Cup or whatever.  And, there's no way you would see any men's WC game with 1/3 of the seats filled.............Especially between Scotland and England, when the game is in France. 

So, I'm open to hearing where the money comes from for the mens and womens national teams.

As for basketball, I saw Breann Stewart get the ESPY after her senior year and then get up and complain about women's salaries.  She wasn't even a pro yet..................And, unless things have changed, and I've done research and have not found that they have, the league losses money for the NBA.

I saw a writer on twitter complain that the WNBA needs to expand because Cierra Dillard got cut after only 6 days (after the media has a big party because she got drafted) - because there are only 144 spots in the league............I asked the writer "Doesn't the league lose money?" and of course, never got a reply.  

Don't give me feels.  Give me numbers.  

On 6/10/2019 at 9:54 AM, eball said:

I agree (other than watching/caring about US women's team).  I feel 'ashamed' to admit so much I guess.... but I cant lie about it.  I feel the same about outdoor lacrosse.

I think Women's hockey has potential to have entertainment value in the professional setting.  The 'men' pros are just so fast, strong, and efficient, often times in the regular season its just a slog.  Women have more space to make plays on the ice surface.  A live setting is a good minor league atmosphere without the cloud of 'development' that hangs over the AHL.  I dont think I would go out of my way to follow and watch it because my time is finite, but it isnt bad.  

Women's Ice Hockey on an international level though is a joke other than Canada vs USA.  US and Canada are just many miles ahead of everybody else, it is stupid.