No Women's World Cup thread?

7 minutes ago, row_33 said:

It’s called the flavour of the week, shoved down on us constantly by our sports media outlets.

then it’s gone....  like the wind...

This. There's nothing more sad than American soccer dreamers. We're not Europe, thank God.

12 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

This. There's nothing more sad than American soccer dreamers. We're not Europe, thank God.

It was good fun for people with kids who play the game, and the US sure loves to hand out scholarships for this sport.

Another niche sport is the LPGA, when dared to look at the money leaders it is mostly South Korean, to the point where the leader has SIX on her name because she’s the 6th of that name that needs to be identified.

58 minutes ago, row_33 said:

It was good fun for people with kids who play the game, and the US sure loves to hand out scholarships for this sport.

A friend of mine has two soccer-playing daughters who received ‘full-boat’ scholarships at Union College!  (very nice young ladies too - I’ll have to ask them how they really feel about the antics of this World Cup team.)

Rapinoe was on Kimmel last nite - he brought her out during the last five minutes, and I changed the channel immediately.

Her 15 minutes are over.

Edited by The Senator
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, The Senator said:

Rapinoe was on Kimmel last nite - he brought her out during the last five minutes, and I changed the channel immediately.

Her 15 minutes are over.

I would have liked to see it.  I’ll look it up on YouTube.  Her latest round of tweets seemed almost diplomatic, as if she knew people were getting sick of her and she should tone it down. 

2 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

Boooooo

so many fortunes have been made trying to transplant the game in North America, Pele and Best and Chinaglia couldn't do it in the mid 1970s....

there just isn't the interest to make it compete with the big sports and other major attractions of interest

we are up for Euros Championships and World Cups though, every 2 summers something is vital

2 minutes ago, row_33 said:

so many fortunes have been made trying to transplant the game in North America, Pele and Best and Chinaglia couldn't do it in the mid 1970s....

there just isn't the interest to make it compete with the big sports and other major attractions of interest

we are up for Euros Championships and World Cups though, every 2 summers something is vital

I tend to agree. It's probably always going to be a niche sport w/ a dedicated following...I think the MLS averages third in avg stadium attendance behind NFL and MBL ahead of NBA and NHL...it's growing but not enough to generate the kind of $$ from TV you need as a league to take the next step. 

41 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

I tend to agree. It's probably always going to be a niche sport w/ a dedicated following...I think the MLS averages third in avg stadium attendance behind NFL and MBL ahead of NBA and NHL...it's growing but not enough to generate the kind of $$ from TV you need as a league to take the next step. 

Toronto has a hardcore MLS following, I see them gathering to march a few miles to the stadium near my place on game day.

if the US men could compete at the top it would help, but that is asking a ton considering the systems in place in Europe and the streets of South America to grow the game.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, row_33 said:

Unfortunately, I think things are changing with this new generation.  They seem to actually like soccer.  

13 hours ago, bbb said:

Unfortunately, I think things are changing with this new generation.  They seem to actually like soccer.  

Been hearing this since.... 1974... 

its the “Olympics Fever” for two weeks every four years people enjoy a sport but supply and demand still rule the world

kids love the game, if you get bored you can sit down on the field and pick daisies

58 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Been hearing this since.... 1974... 

its the “Olympics Fever” for two weeks every four years people enjoy a sport but supply and demand still rule the world

kids love the game, if you get bored you can sit down on the field and pick daisies

I know what you're saying.  I always thought it was funny that soccer was "the fastest growing sport in the country" ever since I was born!...........................But, people in their 20s seem to really be into it this time.  

14 minutes ago, bbb said:

I know what you're saying.  I always thought it was funny that soccer was "the fastest growing sport in the country" ever since I was born!...........................But, people in their 20s seem to really be into it this time.  

it is hard to follow a sport when you can’t go to the best games, or any honestly decent games, and don’t hold a serious connection to a home country that loves the sport

it’s a niche or cult interest, when I coached it the kids didn’t have a clue who the best players were and no vision of the strategy of the game at the highest levels

as if 13 year olds were playing basketball without knowing who LeBron James was and had watched maybe 3 hours total of the NBA and had no idea what a fast break was

Edited by row_33
  • Like (+1) 2

33 minutes ago, bbb said:

The kids like it because they like everything eurotrash

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

The kids like it because they like everything eurotrash

It’s trendy and you don’t have to watch a game to comment on it 

just say “oh.... Benzema was awesome” and this passes as wisdom cause nobody else watched it either

and they need billions of dollars to underwrite the sport and nobody cares enough to risk it

• Like (+1) 1