No Women's World Cup thread?

22 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Both were very close 

They were and they cancelled each out. That was the third time this tournament England failed to score on a penalty. If you can't put a gimmie away, you don't deserve to win.

• Like (+1) 4

55 minutes ago, Gray Beard said:

I like Alex Morgan.  She’s one of the best soccer players in the world, yet she runs like a girl.  Knees and elbows going in all sorts of random directions as she runs along. 

I had exactly the same thought.

59 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Both were very close 

I thought both were the right call. White was offside by a toe but they’ve called it all tournament. And the penalty was a knee in the thigh as the ball crossed her...very close but I would’ve called it the same. That PK wasnt the best kick but to come up with that save at that moment was huge. Great game by US. 

1 hour ago, Gray Beard said:

I like Alex Morgan.  She’s one of the best soccer players in the world, yet she runs like a girl.  Knees and elbows going in all sorts of random directions as she runs along. 

She’s also great at flopping. Some things are just ingrained in soccer. 

My son came home from school all excited yesterday. They had some kind of assembly bigging up the game so he wanted to watch it.

100 minutes of my life I'll never get back. Overall the defending was appalling. Three passes then a hoof up field or giving the ball away. Foul throws. I see enough of this tomfoolery watching my own team play each Saturday. I don't expect to see it in a World Cup semi final.

Then throw in VAR where it took the ref 10 minutes to make a decision so how it could have been a clear and conclusive reversal is crazy talk. England then let a centre back take the penalty when they have the joint top scorer in the tournament on the field. Phil Neville has always been the lesser brother and it continued last night. 

In the end, it turns out my son only wanted to watch it because it got him a late night. All he wanted was extra time and penalties and he'd have done me up like a kipper. 

• Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

I think Ertz should have been ejected 

Ertz has a clean game and never even got a warning. 

Some tough calls both ways but the better team won. More concerned about Lavalle’s hamstring than Rapinoe’s. She’s been playing so well. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

What's the process for the keeper on a PK? Is she making up her mind ahead of time on which way she'll go, or does she wait until she can "read" the kicker?

Personally as I was watching I said to myself...go left. Good thing I wasn't out there.

Players have tendencies on penalty kicks.  This data is charted and discussed in GK meetings. "Reading" the kicker is also factored into the decision

to go left or right. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Cripple Creek said:

What's the process for the keeper on a PK? Is she making up her mind ahead of time on which way she'll go, or does she wait until she can "read" the kicker?

Personally as I was watching I said to myself...go left. Good thing I wasn't out there.

You got your answer from Lewport but there is also always a guess. Keeper's can't wait until the ball is kicked or they don't have time. 

The kick yesterday was poorly placed (and maybe even the pace was bad) and Naher guessed right, which made for an easy save. 

Edited by BeginnersMind

I was all about it four years ago. The national pride thing is cool, especially because they were unstoppable.

Then the players brought politics into it, and I have ZERO interest. I get enough of the politics BS away from sports. I don't want it in my sports. Period.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, BeginnersMind said:

Ertz has a clean game and never even got a warning. 

Some tough calls both ways but the better team won. More concerned about Lavalle’s hamstring than Rapinoe’s. She’s been playing so well. 

She put in a terrible challenge in the first half

7 hours ago, CLTbills said:

I was all about it four years ago. The national pride thing is cool, especially because they were unstoppable.

Then the players brought politics into it, and I have ZERO interest. I get enough of the politics BS away from sports. I don't want it in my sports. Period.

You choose to bring politics into by yourself.

During the game, they talk zero about politics.  Just watch the game and don't read the nonsense out there.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

Watching the Gold Cup now. I'm not sure anyone from Jamaica knows their national anthem. 

I watched until the rain delay. We were killing them for the first 14 minutes. 

I’ll go back and watch the balance after my cigar.

22 hours ago, BritBill said:

Phil Neville has always been the lesser brother and it continued last night. 

I figured he was one of the Neville Brothers.

Watching that game, I was thinking if I really cared about this like I would a Bills, Sabres or Bonnies game, and that friggin clock just keeps going down while they are discussing replays, pulling out a yellow card, and then pulling out a red card, subbing, etc., I would have a nervous breakdown, especially if my team was down.  

11 hours ago, snafu said:

I watched until the rain delay. We were killing them for the first 14 minutes. 

I’ll go back and watch the balance after my cigar.

Best part of watching the game on Telemundo. GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLL!

3 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

Sunday WWC final and Gold Cup final, both US men and women’s teams representing

What?  The men made the finals?  Pay them more money!! 

• Haha (+1) 1