No Women's World Cup thread?

13 hours ago, Gray Beard said:

I’m not thrilled to see a victory via penalty kicks.  I’m just a dumb ‘merican and I like to see scores as a part of the flow of the game.  Kind of like deciding a basketball game with free throws, or a football game with a field goal.  Yes, it’s part of the game and it’s suspenseful, but I personally like to see scores as a result of teamwork and speed during the course of the game.

penalties happen.  If a kick is awarded so be it.  

Its a whole lot different than deciding an OT game with "Penalty Kicks" 

• Like (+1) 1

it's all a fun time, have a drink, meet people, cheer and boo without a clue what is happening, forget about the game about 3 minutes unless it was truly life-changing for you

maybe it's why the game is so popular outside of our needlessly stat-driven US sports culture

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, row_33 said:

it's all a fun time, have a drink, meet people, cheer and boo without a clue what is happening, forget about the game about 3 minutes unless it was truly life-changing for you

maybe it's why the game is so popular outside of our needlessly stat-driven US sports culture

To each his own. South Asians are crazy for cricket. Some Americans like baseball. Both bore many to death. But I like soccer, which also bores people to death. 

Edited by BeginnersMind

11 hours ago, bbb said:

I don't know if there is any other way, but it seems ridiculous to me that in a game where goals are so hard to come by all of a sudden you give a team a 75% or so chance of scoring.  

That 2nd 15 minute overtime - why?!?  Didn't the US lose to Japan after being ahead after the 1st OT 8 years ago?  Why would you have a second one??

They also experimented with just one extra time period if a team’s winning after the first 15...called it ‘silver goal’. Didn’t stick for long.

Soccer in general isn’t averse to change, but the game itself is so simple (and popular) that FIFA is usually hesitant to change what’s been working. 

Edit for misspelling 

Edited by GoBills808

5 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Men used the golden goal at the World Cup a few times in the early 2000s, mainly now for Europeans Championships and Champions Leage

The problem w golden and silver goal rules was it made extra time way too defensive because neither team wanted to concede...would end up with two teams with 11 guys behind the ball defending for penalties. At least with two guaranteed overtime periods you can have some semblance of competition even though they’re exhausted.

16 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

The problem w golden and silver goal rules was it made extra time way too defensive because neither team wanted to concede...would end up with two teams with 11 guys behind the ball defending for penalties. At least with two guaranteed overtime periods you can have some semblance of competition even though they’re exhausted.

the game is only for those who accept it as it is

if you are whining and demanding immediate changes to the game, you probably think the US Constitution can be changed in 2 seconds just because you don't like something like the Electoral Collge

------------------------------------------

when someone sees US football for the first time, they wonder out loud why everyone is falling down, aren't they strong, this is silly, why are they falling down???

this is like North Americans watching soccer, even for the 1,000th game

3 hours ago, row_33 said:

Speaking of which,  I had espn radio on last night, and learned that the US is the 6th to score 20 goals before the quarterfinals.  History!   

12 minutes ago, row_33 said:

the game is only for those who accept it as it is

if you are whining and demanding immediate changes to the game, you probably think the US Constitution can be changed in 2 seconds just because you don't like something like the Electoral Collge

------------------------------------------

when someone sees US football for the first time, they wonder out loud why everyone is falling down, aren't they strong, this is silly, why are they falling down???

this is like North Americans watching soccer, even for the 1,000th game

I will admit that unless you have an understanding of soccer it can be hard to appreciate the athleticism and tactical aspects of the game. Football and basketball are great spectator sports because they’re unambiguously spectacular.

3 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

They also experimented with just one extra time period if a team’s winning after the first 15...called it ‘silver goal’. Didn’t stick for long.

3 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

I don't get it.  If somebody is winning after one period, why would you have another.  

10 minutes ago, bbb said:

I don't get it.  If somebody is winning after one period, why would you have another.  

I’m not sure other than tradition, but the second overtime when the score isn’t tied is almost always  entertaining.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, May Day 10 said:

Im not a Trump fan, but at this point, isn't it kind of silly and presumptive to get in a pissing match with the President on whether or not you will visit the White House?

It's starting to overshadow the game which isn't cool.

• Like (+1) 1