No Women's World Cup thread?

14 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

across the globe Men's Futbol rules and draws an audience 

In America  Women's  Futbol rules and draws an audience.

many of the Mens super stars are has beens in the world leagues 

This is true.  So, I think it needs to be determined what part of what pie these teams are getting. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, bbb said:

But, is the amount they get from FIFA for the mens vs. womens different, because FIFA defintely gets more revenue from mens as opposed to womens.  

2018 men’s WC had a pot of $400 mil

women's pot is $30 mil  

This is strictly prize money allocated by FIFA

3 minutes ago, stony said:

2018 men’s WC had a pot of $400 mil

women's pot is $30 mil  

This is strictly prize money allocated by FIFA

Thanks.   Seems that maybe this has something to do with the women getting paid less by the national authorities.  

Holy crap, did anyone watch Argentina/Scotland?  Scots led 3-0 with 16 to go. Argentina got it to 3-2 then got a penalty at 90. Save by Scotland, but VAR awarded a second penalty kick because the goalie moved too early. They made that one. First time in WC history a team made up a 3-goal deficit.

https://youtu.be/PesWKy7tRwU?t=10

Edited by PromoTheRobot

1 hour ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Go team USA winning 2-0 

No one has tested them yet. There was a fair amount of grumbling going in that they had not looked as sharp and other teams were rising. So far the opposite looks true. And at every match, they are the draw of the tournament as far as fans go. It’s a funny higher pitch rise of excitement on any breakout—sounds like a Beatles concert. Funny. 

Hopefully France, post Spain, can give them a game. I don’t see Spain giving them trouble. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, BeginnersMind said:

No one has tested them yet. There was a fair amount of grumbling going in that they had not looked as sharp and other teams were rising. So far the opposite looks true. And at every match, they are the draw of the tournament as far as fans go. It’s a funny higher pitch rise of excitement on any breakout—sounds like a Beatles concert. Funny. 

Hopefully France, post Spain, can give them a game. I don’t see Spain giving them trouble. 

Is it Americans doing the cheering or just soccer fans in general?

The lack of exact timing still makes me nuts over soccer. Especially in injury time. Too often I'm seeing players faking injury to stop a team from getting a tying goal.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Just now, PromoTheRobot said:

The lack of exact timing still makes nuts over soccer. Especially in injury time. Too often I'm seeing players faking injury to stop a team from getting a tying goal.

A time honoured tradition for at least 120 years now

24 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

The lack of exact timing still makes nuts over soccer. Especially in injury time. Too often I'm seeing players faking injury to stop a team from getting a tying goal.

It's insane to me.  I used to go to my niece's games, through college - and when a strategy is to kick the ball into the parking lot, something is wrong.

And, 99% of the games I've watched on TV, the ref gives "three minutes" of extra time, no matter what has really happened. 

8 minutes ago, bbb said:

It's insane to me.  I used to go to my niece's games, through college - and when a strategy is to kick the ball into the parking lot, something is wrong.

And, 99% of the games I've watched on TV, the ref gives "three minutes" of extra time, no matter what has really happened. 

That’s why it a loser in the US, it can’t compete with the other pro sports and never will

3 minutes ago, row_33 said:

That’s why it a loser in the US, it can’t compete with the other pro sports and never will

That's just one of the things I think are crazy about it.  

58 minutes ago, bbb said:

That's just one of the things I think are crazy about it.  

I enjoyed watching soccer intently from 1973 to last year when cable TV lost all the good games or an online streamer

so that’s that for me, other things to enjoy

1 hour ago, row_33 said:

No commercials is why it doesn’t work here too. If Bud can’t show its frogs, good luck getting ad revenue. Americans want to be told what to eat, drink, and drive. 

9 minutes ago, BeginnersMind said:

No commercials is why it doesn’t work here too. If Bud can’t show its frogs, good luck getting ad revenue. Americans want to be told what to eat, drink, and drive. 

They don’t want players flopping all the time and being told a team stalling for penalty kicks for the last 70 minutes is thrilling

It’s like boxing where both fighters refuse to throw a punch for the first 5 rounds

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, row_33 said:

They don’t want players flopping all the time and being told a team stalling for penalty kicks for the last 70 minutes is thrilling

Its part of the game for some people, mostly depending on the league or country of origin. It’s not the norm but it happens. The uncertainty of extra time is one of the best parts of the game. If you don’t think so, you’re probably not a soccer fan. Most fans love that part of the game.