No Women's World Cup thread?

5 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

The only one I've seen making it about gender is Abby Wambach, suggesting she doesn't really have any reasonable argument.

A team that wins 13-0 is really worried about goal differential?  Somehow I think the US team will manage to beat all the odds and squeak into the elimination round.  :rolleyes:

Unlike the women's Olympic hockey team which always seems like a nice group of girls, the US soccer team always seems like mouthy, arrogant group.  I know that's over generalizing, but it's the impression I always get.

This team lost to Sweden before which is in there group. No victory is guaranteed and it being the first match of group play, getting a cushion like that is important. This is what these players train hard for year round, so when that work pays off, let them celebrate. I have not heard any complaints from the Thailand team, and if they arent upset, why care?

1 minute ago, Bray Wyatt said:

This team lost to Sweden before which is in there group. No victory is guaranteed and it being the first match of group play, getting a cushion like that is important. This is what these players train hard for year round, so when that work pays off, let them celebrate. I have not heard any complaints from the Thailand team, and if they arent upset, why care?

I care because they set a sh---y example for kids.  I wouldn't let my 8 yo daughters' soccer team over celebrate a 13-0 win and would hope the other coaches would do the same if we were on the short end.

And of course Thailand didn't complain.  You could set them on fire and they wouldn't complain, that's their culture.

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

I care because they set a sh---y example for kids.  I wouldn't let my 8 yo daughters' soccer team over celebrate a 13-0 win and would hope the other coaches would do the same if we were on the short end.

And of course Thailand didn't complain.  You could set them on fire and they wouldn't complain, that's their culture.

8 y/o soccer is not the same thing as a WC match, I would hope as a parent you could explain the difference to your child

59 minutes ago, Bray Wyatt said:

8 y/o soccer is not the same thing as a WC match, I would hope as a parent you could explain the difference to your child

What difference, that sportsmanship doesn't apply to adults?   Or in the World Cup?   Yeah, that makes a lot of sense.

12 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

What difference, that sportsmanship doesn't apply to adults?   Or in the World Cup?   Yeah, that makes a lot of sense.

So do you just not like celebrating in general? Or is there some sort of book on when to celebrate?

I dont see professionals celebrating as unsportsmanlike. Do you get mad when NFL players celebrate touchdowns too?

On 6/12/2019 at 4:29 AM, RaoulDuke79 said:

It's not a good look. Bad karma.

It's a horrible look. However, it's probably the only thing worthy of attention in women's soccer.

1 hour ago, Bray Wyatt said:

So do you just not like celebrating in general? Or is there some sort of book on when to celebrate?

I dont see professionals celebrating as unsportsmanlike. Do you get mad when NFL players celebrate touchdowns too?

Yes there is a book.  Adults with a clue have read it.  Hopefully someone will pass you a copy soon.

4 hours ago, KD in CA said:

The only one I've seen making it about gender is Abby Wambach, suggesting she doesn't really have any reasonable argument.

I'm referring to various Facebook and Twitter folks. "You wouldn't say that if it were men." "Stop man-splaining." Or "did you even watch the game?" Actually yes. Not only did I see that game, I've watched some or all of EVERY game because I'm stuck at home recovering from knee surgery!

1 hour ago, KD in CA said:

Yes there is a book.  Adults with a clue have read it.  Hopefully someone will pass you a copy soon.

No need to be condescending I was trying to understand the foundation from which you are basing this celebration stance. Is it inappropriate all the time? Or certain instances it is allowed, if so when? 

1 minute ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I'm referring to various Facebook and Twitter folks. "You wouldn't say that if it were men." "Stop man-splaining." Or "did you even watch the game?" Actually yes. Not only did I see that game, I've watched some or all of EVERY game because I'm stuck at home recovering from knee surgery!

I agree that whole gender thing is completely baseless imo 

39 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I was in a similar discussion in a different forum and somebody accused me of gender bias, and was serious about it.

The US beat-down of Thailand was fun to watch.  Initially I said "I'd like to see if they can get to 8."

That quickly turned to 10 for double digits, and after that, I was thinking they should get as much as possible b/c that may be a record that is never broken.  Or at least not for a long time.

Germany is proving to be disappointing in this tournament.

I think the USA has a solid shot at repeating; France looks good as well.

5 hours ago, Bray Wyatt said:

You dont see any of the 4 major sports celebrating like that with a lead of that magnitude. Can you imagine if the Patriots were up on the Bills 56-0 and Edelman scores another TD and starts dancing all over the field what the reaction would be. 

Just now, RaoulDuke79 said:

You dont see any of the 4 major sports celebrating like that with a lead of that magnitude. Can you imagine if the Patriots were up on the Bills 56-0 and Edelman scores another TD and starts dancing all over the field what the reaction would be. 

... With under a minute to play. Two goals came in injury time.

1 hour ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

If I remember correctly when they did something similar to us (was it a Sunday night game during the Jauron era?) people were complaining about the fact that they were running up the score, and the common refrain at the time was if you don’t like them running up the score, stop them. The same can be said of the celebrations, if you don’t like them, don’t give them anything to celebrate about

2 minutes ago, Bray Wyatt said:

If I remember correctly when they did something similar to us (was it a Sunday night game during the Jauron era?) people were complaining about the fact that they were running up the score, and the common refrain at the time was if you don’t like them running up the score, stop them. The same can be said of the celebrations, if you don’t like them, don’t give them anything to celebrate about

Well yeah that may have been the refrain, but that doesn't mean it's the right thing to do. It's like someone taking all the free samples at Costco. There are unwritten rules in life that separate decent people from dickheads.

44 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

Well yeah that may have been the refrain, but that doesn't mean it's the right thing to do. It's like someone taking all the free samples at Costco. There are unwritten rules in life that separate decent people from dickheads.

This is an interesting take, celebrating a score in sports makes one a *****? 

50 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

I believe that person deserves to die a traitors death.