Is Toronto Raptors success bad for Buffalo?

major

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

3 hours ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

Lotsa Canadians consider the Bills to be their home team. The Bills have tried to capitalize on it in the past by having a few home games in Toronto - which I hated. One way the team doesnt have to move at all is to call it the Niagara Buffalo Bills and represent both upstate NY and Ontario. This will preclude another team muscling in on the Bills territory.

Does anyone remember if the NFL has a rule about territory and distance where a team could move in?

The Oakland A’s stadium was occupied by them in 1966 and is in much need of being replaced.  The A’s had a deal in place to build a stadium in San Jose in 2011  but the SF Giants said “Nope, that’s part of our territory”.  Now the Giants got a new stadium in SF in 2000 so they aren’t going to move to San Jose but they wouldn’t budge and the A’s attempt at a new stadium in Oakland finally is in process with an estimated completion in 2023. 

So, if an NFL team wanted to move to Toronto, I guess the Bills May be able to say No?  Of course, the way Goodell and the openers operate, i5 would probably happen anyways.

7 hours ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

Lotsa Canadians consider the Bills to be their home team. The Bills have tried to capitalize on it in the past by having a few home games in Toronto - which I hated. One way the team doesnt have to move at all is to call it the Niagara Buffalo Bills and represent both upstate NY and Ontario. This will preclude another team muscling in on the Bills territory.

Like changing the name will fool Anyone?

8 hours ago, major said:

The combination of Roger Goodell hassling us about needing a new stadium, coupled with the Raptors success in the nba Finals got me thinking. Do you think the NFL will ramp up the notion of placing a team in Canada? If so, does that hurt Buffalo in any way, shape, or form? I don’t believe the Pegs will ever move our team from Buffalo; however, I can see the NFL trying to capitalize on the Canadian market eventually and Toronto still seems like the logical location. I just don’t want their current success to hurt our team or city. Your thoughts??

I am hoping this is a joke (bringbackfergy) type thread and not legitimate because it has all the markings:  got me thinking, your thoughts, etc.

If not - it has no bearing what so ever.  First Toronto is part of the Buffalo market - so the Bills can block or get compensation if a team tries to move into downtown Toronto.   Second there is the CFL - which has rights to the market and prevents any NFL team from calling any major city in Canada home via Canadian legislative rules.  

So No - any success by another team anywhere has little impact on the Bills, but especially Toronto.

Now lets close this down and move on - my God!

• Like (+1) 1

What about London, UK? They have some pretty successful soccer teams there. Or Moscow? Some pretty good hockey is being played there!

I won’t even mention Italy and how good their pasta is.

8 hours ago, Bills fan since 87 said:

I gotta admit, this thought has crossed my mind too.  You'd have to be naive to think the league isn't watching this Toronto basketball explosion and salvating at the notion....with that said I think we are safe,  Still, again,  you'd have to be naive to think some of the suits have not taken notice.  I think the cheapeat ticket on stuphub for game 2 was like 800...US..  Cheapest... Paranoia, it will always linger.

There is only real sports team in Toronto: the Leafs. The Raptors and Blue Jays are business entertainment expenses. Any NFL team in Toronto would exist as the same. I'm happy the Raptors are succeeding (but let's not crown them just yet. The Warriors can easily win the next two.) It takes their minds off their underachieving hockey team.

1 hour ago, Rochesterfan said:

I am hoping this is a joke (bringbackfergy) type thread and not legitimate because it has all the markings:  got me thinking, your thoughts, etc.

If not - it has no bearing what so ever.  First Toronto is part of the Buffalo market - so the Bills can block or get compensation if a team tries to move into downtown Toronto.   Second there is the CFL - which has rights to the market and prevents any NFL team from calling any major city in Canada home via Canadian legislative rules.  

So No - any success by another team anywhere has little impact on the Bills, but especially Toronto.

Now lets close this down and move on - my God!

You might recall Terry Pegula saying he would not object to the NFL in Toronto. He might still want a fee, though. Also no one cares about the CFL. The Argos have no say at all.