The Draft Network: Josh Allen Review

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/rookie-qb-review--josh-allen

A few snippets:

Bad news first: He wasn't very good. But that's okay! I can't emphasize this enough, Bills Mafia: rookie quarterbacks are supposed to be bad. Struggle is to be expected in Year 1. Allen finished the season with a 10:12 TD:INT ratio, just over 6 yards/attempt, an 8.0 sack rate, and 52.8% completion percentage. All of that is really not very good -- but he also had great numbers as a runner and improved statistically later in the season, so there's reason to be excited.

And there's the good news: He was better than I expected, given his product at Wyoming. Allen showed more nuanced placement on downfield throws than I think he did with the Cowboys, which is a huge boon given how the offense is structured around him. He created a ton with his legs, which was not featured as heavily in Wyoming and could even get more offensive intention in Year 2.

This is the first complaint with Allen, and it always has been. His issues with inaccuracy are well-documented, and we'll touch on them later, but the biggest issue with Allen has always been his processing speed and risk management. A cool-headed quarterback, even with minimal NFL experience, should feel that he has space and time to adjust his set point, align his feet, and throw this ball downfield. Allen bails, tucks, and limits his offense with this run.

By the end of the season, the offense simply did not rely on short throws at all, and that's because Allen's most egregious inaccuracy issues flare up in the quick game, when he doesn't build a throwing base and attempts to drive footballs into wide-open windows exclusively with arm strength.

Now, inaccuracy doesn't just vanish. Players don't just become more accurate -- at least, not with such a significant jump that we should expect Allen to, at any point in his career, become a suddenly accurate quarterback. He's good at hitting downfield throws when he can see it and sling it, though he still struggles with backshoulder placement; he can hit some intermediate crossers and then inexplicably miss the next one. The name of the game isn't making Allen more accurate -- it's modeling the offense around the throws that he

can hit accurately, and hoping that passing game will be sustainable.

Allen's footwork can get better. But he'll probably continue to miss easy, short throws for the rest of his career.

I think the Bills should again prove a feisty team this year, and while I don't expect a record above .500, I think 6-10 and 7-9 are within range, and they have the chances to take some good teams down to the wire.

We circle back to the question: can you build a functional offense around Allen in the NFL? I think yes, if you use him intentionally as a dual-threat player, don't mess around with a short game, and have enough wide receiver talent to basically play Madden on an NFL field.

There's a better chance that Allen becomes a tenable NFL starter now than there was this time last year -- he landed in a good spot and showed growth in Year 1. But we're still far out from the mark, and development isn't linear. I have hope, but only a flicker.

Edited by HappyDays

This guy has always taken issue with Josh. He's one of those guys who will try at all costs to convince everyone that Josh isn't good. It will continue... As soon as I see "The Draft Network," I know it'll be this garbage.

Edited by The Bills Blog
  • Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, Protocal69 said:

He lost me when he says Allen struggles with back shoulder placement. I think I only saw one throw that he missed throwing back shoulder. 

Agreed, I'm not sure where he came up with that. He struggled with short throws, but I thought the back shoulder was one of his best throws.

4 minutes ago, The Bills Blog said:

This guy has always taken issue with Josh. He's one of those guys who will try at all costs to convince everyone that Josh isn't good. It will continue... As soon as I see "The Draft Network," I know it'll be this garbage.

A good litmus test for his credibility will be his article on Lamar Jackson. If I remember correctly he thought Jackson was worthy of the #1 overall pick. I'm curious to see what he thinks of him now.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Interesting read. Thanks for posting.

I disagree with a lot of it, though.

First and foremost, I loathe the concept of tailoring our offense to the "duel-threat QB" concept.

I hope Daboll is smart and cuts out designed runs altogether and just tells Allen when he's in the pocket (or out) he's free to run if he sees a lane and/or pressure is overwhelming and/or no one is open.

Allen was largely ineffective on designed runs last year, but exceptional when scrambling. Cam Newton's career is getting cut shorter and shorter by the year as his offense still maintains his designed running as a major part of its arsenal.

9 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

So he’s supposed to be improved. We improved the team around him..... and this guy thinks 6 or 7 wins is “within range”. LOL thanks for the kind words bro! 

Seriously. So stupid. As a starter in his rookie year Allen was 5-6. 6-10 or 7-9 would be a step backwards.

What a moron.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Honestly, the best thing and the worst thing about TDN is the same thing:

They have a ton of content.

This is great at draft time for a draft slut like me, but it comes with the reality that the majority of sites with a ton of content aren’t usually the most knowledgeable. I like some of their stuff, but hating Josh Allen and loving Josh Rosen seems to be the “in vogue” idea, and they crave looking important. 

• Like (+1) 3

I honestly don’t care what is written about him anymore. People who hated coming out of college will nit pick him the rest of his career. People who loved him will overlook his short comings. All I know is this guy can be like Mike Vick (that’s my ceiling for him). That’s good enough to win a championship and that’s the ultimate goal. The one thing is did agree with is let the kid run. Cunningham, Vick, McNair the qbs that they were.

• Thank you (+1) 1

He was correct that Allen's biggest issue is not properly setting his feet on the gimmies. This is precisely why Palmer and Daboll are making it the focal point of his offseason to do list.

If he can master that, he's a superstar. If he can't, he'll just be a decent QB who flashes.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Agreed, I'm not sure where he came up with that. He struggled with short throws, but I thought the back shoulder was one of his best throws.

A good litmus test for his credibility will be his article on Lamar Jackson. If I remember correctly he thought Jackson was worthy of the #1 overall pick. I'm curious to see what he thinks of him now.

Thought the same thing about ball placement on deep sideline and comeback routes...especially when he and Foster started to mesh timing-wise.

I also did not agree with the short yardage analysis when it came to steps taken in the 2nd half of last year.

Sure the timing and footwork suffered with the pocket collapsing around him, but overall I felt the game was slowing down for Allen and Daboll had him spreading the ball around more towards year end with more success, better timing and touch on his 3-step quick throws.

Not a total homer and realize there are passes that get away from Allen, but as long as he is trending in the right direction...that is what we should be looking for.

Not sure if these guys really break down game film, or just read a few articles and make up commentary.

"You are either growing or you're dying, there ain't no 3rd direction" - Tommy Boy

Edited by WideNine

3 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Interesting read. Thanks for posting.

I disagree with a lot of it, though.

First and foremost, I loathe the concept of tailoring our offense to the "duel-threat QB" concept.

I hope Daboll is smart and cuts out designed runs altogether and just tells Allen when he's in the pocket (or out) he's free to run if he sees a lane and/or pressure is overwhelming and/or no one is open.

Allen was largely ineffective on designed runs last year, but exceptional when scrambling. Cam Newton's career is getting cut shorter and shorter by the year as his offense still maintains his designed running as a major part of its arsenal.

Seriously. So stupid. As a starter in his rookie year Allen was 5-6. 6-10 or 7-9 would be a step backwards.

What a moron.

Basically at the end this dude still only admits he thinks there’s slim to no chance he succeeds while saying the team will have the same record earlier on....

thats just a really loonnnggg drawn out way to say he still thinks he sucks and nothing much will change with their record but he wants to cover his ass if Allen happens to make him look like an idiot. 

Solid. 

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Thank you (+1) 1

He's played in about 11 games in his career and this guy really said he's going to struggle with short throws his whole career. Smh. 

That's either complete incompetence or a hater

Edited by JerseyBills
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Protocal69 said:

He lost me when he says Allen struggles with back shoulder placement. I think I only saw one throw that he missed throwing back shoulder. 

He was out to lunch there. Allen throws a great back shoulder ball.

• Thank you (+1) 1