Robert Foster: The BEST WR you've never heard of (Video)

23 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...this kid heeding Shady's tongue lashing and McDermott's release and eventual re-sign served as major wake up calls for this youngster seem to be working...THESE messages hopefully are permanently ingrained in this lad's gray matter because camp competition looks pretty fierce.....wish I could remember the last time we were faced with "fierce camp competition"  predicament.....there's " (eventual) gold in them hills son"......you choose...

My concern is that we may be faced with a "fierce camp competition" for a stable of solid #2 WRs. It would be nice if one of these guys could develop into a solid #1. 

Foster may, indeed, be the guy to get there, as he has likely not yet found his ceiling. After Foster, we have a bunch of solid guys who, while they may not have yet reached their ceiling, have been playing professional football long enough that we could assume they are probably pretty close.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Rocky Landing said:

My concern is that we may be faced with a "fierce camp competition" for a stable of solid #2 WRs. It would be nice if one of these guys could develop into a solid #1. 

Foster may, indeed, be the guy to get there, as he has likely not yet found his ceiling. After Foster, we have a bunch of solid guys who, while they may not have yet reached their ceiling, have been playing professional football long enough that we could assume they are probably pretty close.

...good assessment...hard to remember the last time we were faced with talent conundrums......during the "drought", we were either shoppin' at K-Mart for "blue light specials" or signing the homeless guys at Interstate exits...SMH.........

• Haha (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Augie said:

Foster at the end of the year did not look like Foster early in the year. I’m not sure how much was him, how much was coaching or how he was used, but he didn’t look like the same guy. He actually looked like a legit NFL WR later in the year at times. 

Absolutely.

Remember how he looked in the preseason? :wacko:

Then came that first game against the Jets. :o:w00t:

...surreal versus real......us poor working slobs trying to equate THE ideal job opportunity to (HOPEFULLY) come along in our careers, vaunting us to another level versus these kids getting millions+ opportunities as 20 somethings right out of the gate...AND....choosing to blow it...guess I missed the memo.....

1 hour ago, Cripple Creek said:

You, @BringBackFergy & I were about the only ones who saw promise in Foster going into last season. So many here were ready to cut bait in the preseason.

Strongest toes of any WR at the combine. Ability to grab into turf and change direction quickly. It’s all in my pre-draft review in 2017. 

3 hours ago, Rocky Landing said:

Brown is a solid #2 WR and Beasley is a solid #3 WR. The Bills could very well have 2-#1 WRs in Zay and Foster. Time will tell. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Cripple Creek said:

You, @BringBackFergy & I were about the only ones who saw promise in Foster going into last season. So many here were ready to cut bait in the preseason.

I’m not sure if I was that rabid an advocate for Foster, but Sky Diver certainly was carrying the torch for him.  ?

Not a great video. Didn't even show a lot of Foster's best receptions. That being said, I agree that Foster has a chance to break out. If Allen prefers him and trusts him as a WR, he'll get targets.

He just has to consistently catch the ball. He's shown improvement tracking it on deep throws, but he also drops the ball sometimes, and the word out of OTA's is that he's had some drops as well.

Hope he's willing to put in the work and keep getting better. Would be amazing to have a #1 or even #2 WR who went undrafted.

1 hour ago, Doc said:

Brown is a solid #2 WR and Beasley is a solid #3 WR. The Bills could very well have 2-#1 WRs in Zay and Foster. Time will tell. 

There's nothing to indicate that Zay could ever be anything more than just a #2 at best. He doesn't have any elite traits and hasn't been very impressive his first couple years. I think he'll always find a job in the NFL, but never as a legit #1 threat.

Foster, though, does have some elite traits. He has good size and great speed. If there is a future #1 on this team, it's him. I don't see any other candidates on the team.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

Strongest toes of any WR at the combine. Ability to grab into turf and change direction quickly. It’s all in my pre-draft review in 2017. 

You do realize, you are the ‘Mr. Haney’ of talent evaluators for the NFL...

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

I noticed that the other day while watching some of the OTA videos of him running routes. His footwork looks pretty damn good.

Edited by Patrick_Duffy
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 6/8/2019 at 7:06 PM, StHustle said:

There are different ways to compare two things besides physical measurables. In this case the comparison is quite clear. Both players not highly regarded at all coming out of college who end up being big time deep threat playmakers and top rated receivers in the league. Foster was the most productive receiver in the whole league during that final stretch. That's a huge accomplishment with a rookie "inaccurate"  QB at the helm.

Is this a bold prediction? Sure. But I have very solid data to back this up. I'm not a homer type of guy either. Foster has potential to be every bit as dangerous as Antonio Brown.

I can almost see it...   I’m hiding names so it’s not obvious which one is which: 

WR x

7 time pro bowler

11,000 yards reviving 

2 time NFL reception and yardage leader 

74 reviving touchdowns 

Around 6 ft 

most catches and yards since entering the NFL  

Dominant at a smaller school shattering career records in 3 yrs 

WR z

27 career receptions

541 yards 

3 TDs 

Around 6 ft

Some catches and yards since entering the nfl, getting cut, passing waivers then getting signed again. 

Invisible at nations top collegiate program 

guess which one is which? I intentionally obfuscated height so I didn’t give it away.. these guys are eerily similar....

love over the enthusiasm.  But Foster needs to be Zay or Foster before he’s AB

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 6/9/2019 at 3:19 PM, Cripple Creek said:

As I recall, one major rap on Foster was that his hands were flat out bad, and his preseason and early season performances seemed to verify that.   When he returned, it was almost like he was a different player.  

So the question for this season is which of the 2018 Fosters are we going to get?

• Like (+1) 1

On 6/8/2019 at 7:21 PM, Augie said:

Foster at the end of the year did not look like Foster early in the year. I’m not sure how much was him, how much was coaching or how he was used, but he didn’t look like the same guy. He actually looked like a legit NFL WR later in the year at times. 

Confidence will do that to a guy. Hoping he has a great camp and can continue to run with it!

14 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

I can almost see it...   I’m hiding names so it’s not obvious which one is which: 

WR x

7 time pro bowler

11,000 yards reviving 

2 time NFL reception and yardage leader 

74 reviving touchdowns 

Around 6 ft 

most catches and yards since entering the NFL  

Dominant at a smaller school shattering career records in 3 yrs 

WR z

27 career receptions

541 yards 

3 TDs 

Around 6 ft

Some catches and yards since entering the nfl, getting cut, passing waivers then getting signed again. 

Invisible at nations top collegiate program 

guess which one is which? I intentionally obfuscated height so I didn’t give it away.. these guys are eerily similar....

love over the enthusiasm.  But Foster needs to be Zay or Foster before he’s AB

I'm guessing they were comparing to Brown in early career. Remember Hines Ward, Mike Wallace and Antwaan Randle El were the top receivers when Brown was drafted and he was practically a no body even the 2nd receiver the Steelers took that draft behind Emmanuel Sanders. Mike Wallace was the next big thing over there at the time. Brown came out of nowhere and took the 3rd receiver spot. The next year he got the big contract extension(before Mike Wallace) Hines retired, and a year later Wallace walked without the big money. Point being, Brown was a scrub that balled out and became the top dog. Foster has a chance to do the same. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 6/9/2019 at 4:25 PM, BringBackFergy said:

Upon further review, I believe Foster’s toes are strong enough to throw a football over ‘them mountains’.  ?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, badassgixxer05 said:

I'm guessing they were comparing to Brown in early career. Remember Hines Ward, Mike Wallace and Antwaan Randle El were the top receivers when Brown was drafted and he was practically a no body even the 2nd receiver the Steelers took that draft behind Emmanuel Sanders. Mike Wallace was the next big thing over there at the time. Brown came out of nowhere and took the 3rd receiver spot. The next year he got the big contract extension(before Mike Wallace) Hines retired, and a year later Wallace walked without the big money. Point being, Brown was a scrub that balled out and became the top dog. Foster has a chance to do the same. 

Sure... and for every scrub that balled out there have been 100 that have bombed out. 

It’s fine to dream of foster becoming Jerry Rice, AB... geeze I’ll take Nate Burelson or Lee Evans but other than overachieving his UDFA status with a few nice games on a dreadful offensive roster, I’m not sure what has earned these ‘Next AB’ comparisons