Jets hire Joe Douglas as GM

1 minute ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Good lord!  We’ve been taking shots at that human piñata since the press conference, and you’re the first to point out the obvious pun.  ?

I feel inadequate...

2 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Buck up, little buddy!  Lest you start posting ‘I’m sorry for posting / offending you all’ threads.  ?

Too late for that! 100 pager for sure.

Edited by Mr. WEO

On 6/8/2019 at 5:58 AM, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Vat ees thees?  Like old days een Soviet Roosha?!  Comrade, come verk veeth oos, or go to gulag een Siberia?

This GM looks like he could snap ‘Crazy Eyes’ in half if he has to...which he just might.

The-Mountain-Game-of-Thrones.jpg

On 6/8/2019 at 11:49 AM, YoloinOhio said:

So he wasn’t their first choice?

Toxicity

• Haha (+1) 1

21 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

I'd take a competitive game against the Patriots as a start.

McDermotts been pantsed to this point against BB.

I hope the Jets finally make it out of last place in the division for you this year so you experience some happiness. You fan boy so hard over them every year, even though they repeatedly let you down. Maybe this is your year. 

• Haha (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 6/7/2019 at 8:49 PM, CNY315 said:

Just wanted them to crack that safe open

I'm writing this before scanning the 3+ pages of responses, so I am sorry if this was already mentioned.  But maybe this Jason McIntyre guy needs a better understanding of the word "steal."  The Jets offered him a contract, he said no because it didn't make enough.  They had to up the ante quite a bit and finally he said yes.  Stealing would have been getting him in for way under.  Just my thoughts....

I also don't really think anyone is going to work out well with Gase.  Could be wrong, but feel like that a$$ clown is just destined to be fired as soon as Woody Johnson gets back from his sabbatical in the UK.

29 minutes ago, TheBeane said:

I'm writing this before scanning the 3+ pages of responses, so I am sorry if this was already mentioned.  But maybe this Jason McIntyre guy needs a better understanding of the word "steal."  The Jets offered him a contract, he said no because it didn't make enough.  They had to up the ante quite a bit and finally he said yes.  Stealing would have been getting him in for way under.  Just my thoughts....

I also don't really think anyone is going to work out well with Gase.  Could be wrong, but feel like that a$$ clown is just destined to be fired as soon as Woody Johnson gets back from his sabbatical in the UK.

I think by “steal” he meant that they were able to get him to leave a situation that he didn’t want to leave. I think it’s a little alarming that he didn’t want the job in and of itself, given he has no GM experience. It sounds to me like he wasn’t that interested in running the Jets so have to wonder where his passion lies. It could just be that his agent knew the Jets were desperate so kept squeezing them, knowing that Douglas was ok with not going there anyway. The more interesting report to me was that George Paton appeared to be the first choice, and even after he turned them down 3 times and after they interviewed Douglas, they went back to Paton again only for him to decline again.

I don’t know how good Douglas will be as a GM but as many have said it will be determined by the relationship with Gase and how much power he will really have. Gase has said he would give the new GM control over the 53 but if his history is any indication and he winds up as simply a Yes Man for Gase, they may not succeed.

• Like (+1) 1

On 6/7/2019 at 8:55 PM, BillsFan4 said:

Nice hire by the Jets. 

I’m still not scared of the Jets though, as long as Woody Johnson owns the team. I just don’t see them having sustained success under the Johnson’s ownership. Even if they happen to be good for a couple years, someone in that building will do something to mess it up... lol. 

The Johnsons stepped back for four years while MacCagnan and Bowles did a lousy job.  I don't expect them to get in the way of Douglas and Gase either.

On 6/8/2019 at 1:57 PM, Protocal69 said:

It’s interesting that so many candidates turned down the Jets job. It basically came down to basically paying 2.5 times the initial offer. That tells me a lot about how people view the Jets right now even after spending over 100million in the offseason

I view this very differently.  Only one guy said no, and that was before even interviewing.  They got the guy they were rumored to want for months (after some successful negotiations).   In my view it was a sought after job, for only one reason:  Sam Darnold.  As a Jets fan, I think the Bills are ahead of us in virtually every department except QB.  And that may be enough for the Jets to finish ahead of the Bills this season because it is probably the most important element.  Time will tell.

On 6/8/2019 at 7:26 PM, ScottLaw said:

Not really.

Its more like I have to accept Adam Gase as my head coach, what new GM wants to walk into a situation where they don't have a choice of their HC and don't exactly have all the power they would have in other situations.... I doubt it's a reflection of what they think of the actual roster.

He likes Gase.  They have worked together in the past and Gase undoubtedly recruited him.

3 hours ago, Bruce Harper said:

I view this very differently.  Only one guy said no, and that was before even interviewing.  They got the guy they were rumored to want for months (after some successful negotiations).   In my view it was a sought after job, for only one reason:  Sam Darnold.  As a Jets fan, I think the Bills are ahead of us in virtually every department except QB.  And that may be enough for the Jets to finish ahead of the Bills this season because it is probably the most important element.  Time will tell.

He likes Gase.  They have worked together in the past and Gase undoubtedly recruited him.

...Adam does have great vision.........

image.thumb.png.dc192e4f7367f73263789280995be7e0.png

• Haha (+1) 1

This seems like a good hire for the Jets. 

I can't find an analyst or writer or knowledgable person anywhere who has anything but glowing things to say about Douglas.

Even though their ownership still stinks and I think Adam Gase is a bad head coach, they now appear to have a quality GM and a good quarterback. As a Bills fan, I don't like that. I would have preferred if they had landed Kirk Cousins in free agency, not drafted a QB, and then stuck with John Idzik. Instead, this whole "good GM and franchise QB" thing is really gonna mess up the "Jets continue to be a tire fire" narrative for me. Darn it.