Brian Gaine fired as Texans GM

On 6/8/2019 at 11:53 AM, Ennjay said:

Off topic maybe but I've always felt sorry for Eric Moulds for the same reason.  On another team he might have made the HOF.

...Moulds made his own bed and stayed on......then when he left , he burned every damn bridge outta town.....Jesus, Ralph flew in to mitigate the Moulds/Moo hissy fit for his pampered pet....lost ALL respect for him when his "publicist ( seriously ? WTF?)" said, "Eric is very upset that his consecutive catch string record was broken (nothing thrown to him that day)"....Diva 101.....

On 6/8/2019 at 11:59 AM, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

..things are getting crowded at "the top".......we have the Jesters, Cards, perennial "Snyder's Deadskins" and now the Tex-UMS.....thinking the inaugural "Dysfunction Junction Organization Of The Year" trophy votes could be a tie..... presented at SB halftime.....

would this be before or after the Justin Bieber halftime show?

• Haha (+1) 1

Complaint: Fired Texans GM Brian Gaine 'targeted' African American employees in series of firings

A.J. Perez-USA TODAY SPORTS
1 hr ago

Recently fired Houston Texans general manager Brian Gaine “targeted” African American employees in a series of firings during his tenure, a former Texans security coordinator alleged in a complaint filed with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission.  

Jeff Pope, who was notified he would not be retained by the team May 8, made a series of allegations in a 4,500-word charge of discrimination complaint obtained by USA TODAY Sports early Thursday morning. Gaine was fired by the Texans on Friday with little insight into the move disclosed by the team. 

Attempts to reach Gaine were not immediately successful Thursday morning.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/complaint-fired-texans-gm-brian-gaine-targeted-african-american-employees-in-series-of-firings/ar-AACPiID?ocid=ientp

7 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

Complaint: Fired Texans GM Brian Gaine 'targeted' African American employees in series of firings

1 hr ago

Recently fired Houston Texans general manager Brian Gaine “targeted” African American employees in a series of firings during his tenure, a former Texans security coordinator alleged in a complaint filed with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission.  

Jeff Pope, who was notified he would not be retained by the team May 8, made a series of allegations in a 4,500-word charge of discrimination complaint obtained by USA TODAY Sports early Thursday morning. Gaine was fired by the Texans on Friday with little insight into the move disclosed by the team. 

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/complaint-fired-texans-gm-brian-gaine-targeted-african-american-employees-in-series-of-firings/ar-AACPiID?ocid=ientp

Wow that’s a pretty serious allegation 

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

1 hr ago

Wow...I'd heard that something went down and it wasn't performance-related, but that's a pretty heavy accusation.

And that was not reason why he was let go:

Texans spokesperson Amy Palcic told The Houston Chronicle that Pope’s allegations of racial bias “was not a factor in the recent decision to relieve Brian Gaine from his job as general manager.” 

We have just been made aware of Mr. Pope’s claim,” Palcic said. “We do not comment on pending litigation. The Houston Texans do not tolerate personal or professional discrimination of any kind."

2 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Texans spokesperson Amy Palcic told The Houston Chronicle that Pope’s allegations of racial bias “was not a factor in the recent decision to relieve Brian Gaine from his job as general manager.” 

We have just been made aware of Mr. Pope’s claim,” Palcic said. “We do not comment on pending litigation. The Houston Texans do not tolerate personal or professional discrimination of any kind."

Yet also in the article, "I was going to handle this the way I handle most of my claims: quietly,” N. Lucy Chukwurah, Pope’s attorney, told The Houston Chronicle. “When the Texans terminated Mr. Gaine, that caught my attention. They terminated him a few days after they spoke with their counsel. I found that to be unusual."

14 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

I’m not sure I believe that they just found out about it 

On 6/8/2019 at 11:03 PM, transient said:

Serious question, did the RBs they drafted suck or did they just not effectively work them into the game plan? I’m working from memory here, but they always struck me as being willing to live and die by Marino’s arm. I don’t really remember them as a team that ever had a game plan that tried to establish the run. Contrast that with the balance the Bills had with Kelly under center (granted, with Thomas in the backfield). 

To further that point, I just looked on the Pro Football Reference site. Marino is 14th all time in average pass attempts per game, but he’s the only one of his era in the top 20 (unless you count Favre at 17 and/or Bledsoe at 12, since they overlapped the latter part of Marino’s career). The next from that era is Warren Moon at 24. Jim Kelly is all the way down at 45. 

From what I remember, Marino loved putting up big passing numbers and pretty much demanded it. 

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Bills former WR coach 

From my own experience, it's tough to take what a fired employee says with complete confidence.  In today's society, everyone knows about discrimination and tend to hold onto certain under performing employees for longer than they should due to fears of litigation.  Everything is documented in today's world.  Precaution is taken way more seriously than just rash judgements.

What Phil said seems to make more sense than the fired employee's allegation.

Edited by Ittakestime

Fired employees usually make plenty of claims. Nobody ever wants to believe it's their own fault for getting fired. There's always something or someone to blame. How often do you see someone getting fired and saying "Yup, I deserved that. They made a good decision."

Of course, if the allegations are true, shame on Gaine. Tough to believe, though.

1 hour ago, MJS said:

Fired employees usually make plenty of claims. Nobody ever wants to believe it's their own fault for getting fired. There's always something or someone to blame. How often do you see someone getting fired and saying "Yup, I deserved that. They made a good decision."

Of course, if the allegations are true, shame on Gaine. Tough to believe, though.

I feel really bad for him if it isn’t true. That’s the last thing you want out there.

2 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Hope these allegations are false.  But as long as O'Brien is calling the shots in Houston they won't be a factor.  He thinks he's Belichick and he's far from it.

I agree. I’ve been skeptical of Obrien’s abilities since he was at penn state 

1 hour ago, MJS said:

Not saying you are wrong, but Gaine was terminated for a reason. Racial bias in the employment world would be a reason to fire him. The Texans denying it doesn't mean it isn't true.  They are just protecting themselves from a lawsuit. Gaine certainly could have been fired for another reason and the employee's complaint may be baseless.  But you can virtually guarantee it was a HR violation (my initial guess was harassment but discrimination fits the scenario) of some kind and not just performance based.

14 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Not saying you are wrong, but Gaine was terminated for a reason. Racial bias in the employment world would be a reason to fire him. The Texans denying it doesn't mean it isn't true.  They are just protecting themselves from a lawsuit. Gaine certainly could have been fired for another reason and the employee's complaint may be baseless.  But you can virtually guarantee it was a HR violation (my initial guess was harassment but discrimination fits the scenario) of some kind and not just performance based.

Just lots of speculation. He could have been fired because they felt they had someone better. There is no reason to believe that it is an HR issue.