Brian Gaine fired as Texans GM

3 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

Ha i actually responded that way because of the news . Not because anything you said , which is my bad ! 

I actually agree with you , I'd be very good with bringing him back on in some capacity.

Ha ha, I couldn’t figure it out. I was like, “what’s confusing?” I guess, we are all on the same page. It feels reasonable to believe that the Bills will be interested. My guess is that he takes the year off though. They probably owe him a bunch of money and he can “rebuild” his reputation. It’s really weird though. 

• Like (+1) 1

There are going to be teams that get remembered for wasting generational/historical talents by fielding crap football teams, and the Texans with JJ Watt are high on that list. We’ll see if they can capitilize on his renaissance, but I doubt it.

Browns and Joe Thomas might be top of the list. 

Edited by whatdrought
  • Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, gjv001 said:

Perhaps it has to do with Philadelphia jumping in front of Houston in the Draft and getting the player Houston coveted Andre Dillard.

It absolutely does. 

That and the fact that Billy O is a my way or the highway guy. 

Edited by GunnerBill

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

It absolutely does. 

That and the fact that Billy O is a my way or the highway guy. 

.....good call GB..............

Brian Gaine’s strained relationship with Bill O’Brien a factor in his firing

Posted by Michael David Smith on June 8, 2019, 5:21 AM EDT

The Texans fired General Manager Brian Gaine on Friday in part because he and head coach Bill O’Brien were not seeing eye to eye.

John McClain of the Houston Chronicle reports Gaine’s relationship with O’Brien had eroded.

Texans Chairman Cal McNair decided to fire Gaine not for any one reason but simply because he didn’t think the organization was going in the right direction. Gaine was under contract through the 2022 season, so firing him now is going to be an expensive decision.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/06/08/brian-gaines-strained-relationship-with-bill-obrien-a-factor-in-his-firing/

11 hours ago, JohnC said:

That was a very odd situation. It was the GM who brought the coach in. Then evidently their conflict resulted in the boss leaving because of the subordinate he hired. 

Good.  Some turmoil in the AFC  that doesn’t involve the Bills.

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013

If you believe he might be in line for a GM position after the season ends, do you bring him in? Do you bring him in only if he accepts we don't let him go till after the draft next year? Does he disrupt the prospects for advancement of anyone there right now?

If all that's OK, yeah, bring him in.

Edited by Thurman#1

5 hours ago, whatdrought said:

There are going to be teams that get remembered for wasting generational/historical talents by fielding crap football teams, and the Texans with JJ Watt are high on that list. We’ll see if they can capitilize on his renaissance, but I doubt it.

Browns and Joe Thomas might be top of the list. 

No.  Barry Sanders is at the top of that list.  Marino would be a close second.

• Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Ha ha, I couldn’t figure it out. I was like, “what’s confusing?” I guess, we are all on the same page. It feels reasonable to believe that the Bills will be interested. My guess is that he takes the year off though. They probably owe him a bunch of money and he can “rebuild” his reputation. It’s really weird though. 

yes sir, 4 more years he can sit on his arse and get paid! As I understand it, front office and coaching contracts have offset language..so lets say he was due to make $1M this year, and the Bills bring him back at $500K. My understanding is that in that case he would still make the $1M..with Bills paying $500K and Texans paying $500K.

But i could be wrong on that...players fight to not have offset language included in rookie deals, maybe he did too!!!

4 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

.....good call GB..............

Brian Gaine’s strained relationship with Bill O’Brien a factor in his firing

Posted by Michael David Smith on June 8, 2019, 5:21 AM EDT

The Texans fired General Manager Brian Gaine on Friday in part because he and head coach Bill O’Brien were not seeing eye to eye.

John McClain of the Houston Chronicle reports Gaine’s relationship with O’Brien had eroded.

Texans Chairman Cal McNair decided to fire Gaine not for any one reason but simply because he didn’t think the organization was going in the right direction. Gaine was under contract through the 2022 season, so firing him now is going to be an expensive decision.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/06/08/brian-gaines-strained-relationship-with-bill-obrien-a-factor-in-his-firing/

Interesting that O’Brien was the one who recommended Gaine for the job in the first place, reportedly. Methinks BOB is the problem.

5 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

If you believe he might be in line for a GM position after the season ends, do you bring him in? Do you bring him in only if he accepts we don't let him go till after the draft next year? Does he disrupt the prospects for advancement of anyone there right now?

If all that's OK, yeah, bring him in.

....well IF we go 9-7 and miss the WC spot, the TBD "Fire McBeane Gang" shall rise to the surface with a bevy of "hire Gaine NOW" threads, right??.....stay tuned..........

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/texans/article/Texans-fire-GM-Brian-Gaine-after-17-months-13961559.php

"McNair determined that Gaine was a better personnel man than a general manager and didn’t want to redefine the job with the Texans."

What an odd statement.    Being a good personnel man is Job One for any GM.     You can hire other people for cap management, contracts, etc.     I suspect BOB wanted to dictate personnel more than Gaine and ultimately led the coup after thinking he had the GM under his thumb...

• Like (+1) 1