Brian Gaine fired as Texans GM

2 minutes ago, gjv001 said:

Perhaps it has to do with Philadelphia jumping in front of Houston in the Draft and getting the player Houston coveted Andre Dillard.

The draft is such a crap shoot I don’t think a singular “mistake” is why he got fired. They have a temperamental HC that’s probably the best guess.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, gjv001 said:

Perhaps it has to do with Philadelphia jumping in front of Houston in the Draft and getting the player Houston coveted Andre Dillard.

I just don’t get this as a reason for firing him - no one even knows what any of the guys from the 2019 draft will turn into yet. What if Dillard sucks, will they regret firing him?

3 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Do you think that we bring him back?

If absolutely bring him back in some capacity.  He was given less than 2 seasons, which really is not fair.  Texans were hardly a dumpster fire.

3 hours ago, Rico said:

Could be Whaley time,

I wonder if Vince would let him go.

That’s not going to happen

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

If absolutely bring him back in some capacity.  He was given less than 2 seasons, which really is not fair.  Texans were hardly a dumpster fire.

That’s not going to happen

They made the playoffs in his only year as GM. I think he got a raw deal, unless there is something we don’t know. 

52 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I just don’t get this as a reason for firing him - no one even knows what any of the guys from the 2019 draft will turn into yet. What if Dillard sucks, will they regret firing him?

This link doesn't add much clarity to the situation other than he was taking the blame for something he had little to do with. 

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/06/07/houston-texans-fire-gm-brian-gaine

Edited by JohnC

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

I suppose but how do they even know that until they take the field 3 months from now?

They don’t but his bosses are obviously not impressed.  Nor am I 

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/texas-sports-nation/brian-t-smith/article/Smith-With-Brian-Gaine-s-firing-Texans-give-in-13961064.php?cmpid=chronstrrpc

"The timing of Gaine's firing is stunning. After the draft and OTAs. Six weeks before training camp. The Texans looking like the New York Jets ... but worse and more clueless."

Glad to see the new standard of incompetence in the NFL is our AFC East rival...

• Haha (+1) 3

1 hour ago, thebandit27 said:

A Houston area friend of mine says that the rumor on Houston radio is that something went down behind the scenes and that it's not performance related 

Must have been getting advice on how to handle the ladies from Russ. 

9 minutes ago, Lurker said:

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/texas-sports-nation/brian-t-smith/article/Smith-With-Brian-Gaine-s-firing-Texans-give-in-13961064.php?cmpid=chronstrrpc

"The timing of Gaine's firing is stunning. After the draft and OTAs. Six weeks before training camp. The Texans looking like the New York Jets ... but worse and more clueless."

Glad to see the new standard of incompetence in the NFL is our AFC East rival...

...but the Cards have hurt feelings....

15 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

He either lost a power struggle with O'Brien or he was harassing employees 

He was about to trade Clowney and O’Brien didn’t approve? Maybe they got into it. I’m pretty sure OBrien controls the 53.

5 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

@JerseyBills I’m not sure what’s confusing? The Bills hired him to be 2nd in command not long ago. He left after getting a GM job. His team went 11-5 and he got fired. I don’t think that it is unreasonable to think that the Bills may be interested in bringing him back for the upcoming season. 

Ha i actually responded that way because of the news . Not because anything you said , which is my bad ! 

I actually agree with you , I'd be very good with bringing him back on in some capacity.

• Haha (+1) 1