Brian Gaine fired as Texans GM

18 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Maybe but I think this is about Billy O consolidating his power base above all else. I understand he was furious at the failure to land Dillard. His view (apparently well known in the building) was that he was willing to give up a 2020 #1 to move into the top 10 and pick him. When he slid as far as he did it would only have taken a smaller price to move up a few spots and secure him.

Could they turn to Douglas now? Possible. But if they really loved him last time then why not hire him?

I believe they were blocked from interviewing him by the Eagles at the time. 

https://www.nj.com/eagles/2018/01/eagles_block_texans_request_to_interview_joe_dougl.html

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, BillsfanAZ said:

I was thinking the same thing that the Texans had a horrible draft. Seems he would have been fired soon after the draft though

Taking Tytus Howard at 23 was mind boggling to me considering other OL talent still available 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, JoeF said:

Gaine had a 5-year deal according to Houston Chronicle Texans and NFL beat writer John McClain (Not of Die Hard Fame)...gets paid for 3 and a half more years. 

Hog damn. Could only use one laughing emoji on the like bar so I had to follow up with a few more. ???????????????? Better hold that in I don't want to use the bathroom in my pants.

12 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

He was an NFL GM. Who knows why he was fired.

he was one of the best player personnel guys in the league . He won’t be out of a job For long. Guaranteed 

He may have exposed himself as one of the "best" player personnel guys with his work as GM. Underwhelming to say the least. 

We shall see what his next job is. Of course he will get a job in this league again, that's all this league is. Once your in, your in for life. 

Just now, Ittakestime said:

He may have exposed himself as one of the "best" player personnel guys with his work as GM. Underwhelming to say the least. 

We shall see what his next job is. Of course he will get a job in this league again, that's all this league is. Once your in, your in for life. 

He could’ve been exposed

but tell that to Whaley... not “In” for life in the NFL

42 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Billy O power play. Don't think he was happy with their draft. He loved Dillard from what I hear and he almost fell to them and then they negligently let Philly swoop in.

Didn't last long Gaine. It never felt a very exhaustive search last time. It was like Rick Smith stepped down for personal reasons and they just hired a guy they knew. 

In the draft when you are selecting lower than the middle of the round you can't be fixated on any one player because you don't know what any other team is going to do. You can't predict if a team is going to move up to get the player you are eyeing. That's the nature of the draft. And it is not unusual that your fallback player turns out to be the player than you lusted for. 

My suspicion is as you conjectured a power play between the HC and the front office staff. We had a similar conflicting dynamic when Marrone was here when the GM was Whaley. Sometimes organizational tension can result in a creative environment. And sometimes organizational tension can result in a backstabbing and dysfunctional environment. I like the synergy of the McBeane regime where everyone is riding on the same bus. 

1 minute ago, Ittakestime said:

Whaley has a good job. He could have been in s front office if he wanted. He went a different route

I like Whaley... good job yes... not an NFL job

if he was offered a VP of player personnel job ... he woulda took it 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Is he anything like Brandon was?  (Ixnay on the intern-ays.)

I don't think so. 

He was in Texas for 3 years as Director of Pro Personnel before coming here to work for Beane, so they had every opportunity to know what he was like.

It may be they thought he was a guy (maybe like Whaley) who was good at his former job and had been promoted over his head, into a position he couldn't handle

1 hour ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

As opposed to the NYJ model, where you just hope and pray the GM/Coach that’s driving keeps his eyes on the road...?

That was a very odd situation. It was the GM who brought the coach in. Then evidently their conflict resulted in the boss leaving because of the subordinate he hired.