Zay Jones is Bills' most likely player to emerge on offense

Image result for zay jones

Over the past two seasons, it’s been a difficult time to be a Buffalo Bills wide receiver. For parts of the 2017 season, the unit was mentioned among the least-productive units in league history. The team was 31st in passing yards per game, averaging 176.6 yards per game. They were 27th in passing touchdowns, averaging exactly one per game.

The 2018 season didn’t pan out much better. General manager Brandon Beane jettisoned Tyrod Taylor for a preseason battle of Nathan Peterman, AJ McCarron, and Josh Allen. Peterman won the three-way battle, and ultimately took control of the offense.

Unfortunately, the team, along with Peterman, imploded during the first week of the season, and the position was passed along to the inexperienced Allen. The growing pains were apparent, especially through the first half of the season. While it did get better down the stretch, the view of the entire season still left quite a bit to be desired.

The Bills held down the 31st spot in yards once again, this time averaging 174.6 per game. The myriad of Bills quarterbacks could only muster 13 passing touchdowns, worst in the league. The group ended up throwing the second-most interceptions in the NFL, 23 (mostly) ill-advised balls.

Yet, there is a reason for the team to hold their head’s high.

Josh Allen’s improvement as the rookie season continued gives hope for an offensively-starved franchise.  Yes, he hopped linebackers and ran wild at times. However, the decision-making, while still a work in process, was ripe with better choices down the stretch. He didn’t take as many wild risks while throwing the football. Allen was less jittery behind the line and more confident.

All of this adds up to benefit…Zay Jones.

Yes, the third-year receiver should be the most likely player to emerge on the Bills’ offense.

Buffalo added John Brown and Cole Beasley to their receiving corps. It may cut down on his targets. Still, Jones can still thrive.

Entering his third season with Buffalo, Jones has the seventh-most catches amount receivers drafted in the 2017 draft. He has gained 968 receiving yards during his two years in the NFL, also good for seventh among the draft class. He is fourth among the group with nine touchdown receptions.

https://billswire.usatoday.com/2019/06/07/zay-jones-buffalo-bills-most-likely-emerge-offense-josh-allen/

Edited by HOUSE
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

is the opinion of the blog more relevant somehow?

Not it isnt, not at all.  100% correct.  

I dont have a great amount of hope in Zay's "emergence".

And what about this brilliant line from that blog, "Buffalo added John Brown and Cole Beasley to their receiving corps. It may cut down on his targets."

Seriously, it MAY cut down on targets to Zay?

This wouldn't surprise me in the least. He's obviously motivated. 3rd year WR? I think Knox will also be a pleasant surprise -- excellent size/speed combo. Looks like he'll get his chance right away whether he's ready or not.

I'd prefer investing more in Foster than in Zay Jones, but I think those two will be sharing snaps all season. Brown is the #1 and Beasley is the slot receiver. That leaves Jones and Foster sharing time opposite Brown.

Or I suppose they will rotate all three of Brown, Foster, and Jones and all three will get close to an equal share. Guess we'll see. I just think Foster and Brown provide more upside because they at least have elite speed and Foster has decent size too. Jones is just average in everything. He'll always have a job in the NFL, I think, but I don't see any upside.