Offensive Line by Committee? Chris Brown obtained my permission to run with the idea. #Versatility #FergyHasSpoken

2 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

That’s the Spirit!

Some people just have no vision! 

How confused would they be if we swapped the OL for the DL? Think they would forfeit out of confusion? 

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Augie said:

How confused would they be if we swapped the OL for the DL? Think they would forfeit out of confusion? 

Well, he’s from Jersey, so...

Going with the thread theme, interchanging OL/DL can work -and has on occasion. William ‘the Refrigerator’ Perry and some guy named Kyle.. 

14 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

What about a package that focuses on making Tyree Jackson a receiving eligible guard? Joe Webb NEVER did that!

Realistically, no. There’s a significant difference in weight. Big guys will crush little guys 19 out of 20 times. Plus, it would require more rule changes for eligible Guards. But I like your thinking! 

Keep it up!?

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

I know you are probably thinking there's a link to a profound article in this post, but NO. I came up with his idea all on my own. Watch how the football experts like ESPN, ProFootball Talk and Yahoo will pick up on this and run with it.  You guys just remember that old Fergy was the first to recognize the clear goal of our head coach: He is building an 5  cylinder engine on the O Line with pistons firing from different positions at all different times.

Here's what I mean:

What is McDermott's #1 goal in finding a suitable Offensive lineman??  ANSWER: Versatility

We have tackles that have played guard. We have guards that have played center. We have guards who played tackle. Shoot, we even had a TE who played tackle.  The point is, all through OTA's and minicamp, we have seen a variety of players playing at different spots.  Where else do we see this? On the defensive line of course.  DT's move to outside, DT's drop back, DE's move inside, DE/Linebackers move inside, etc.  So why not incorporate the movement and versatility of Offensive linemen in the same manner?

For example:  On 1st and 10, Morse lines up at center, Dawkins at Left Tackle, Feliciano at left Guard, Ford at right Guard and Nyseke at right Tackle. We gain 4 yards on a run play.  On 2nd and 6, we break huddle and Feliciano take the Center position, Dawkins moves to right Guard (his position for years) , Ford moves to right Tackle, Morse takes left Guard and Nyseke moves over to left Tackle.  The defensive ends and DT's will wonder what the hell is going on because most of them have studied film on the individual designated at that spot in front of them.  The versatility will throw them off.  Every great offense has to be innovative. 

In addition, versatility allows McDermott to create a stable of 8 O-lineman who can play all different positions.  Just like McDermott cycles D lineman in to keep them fresh, he will substitute in O linemen or move them around the line every 3rd down or two to not only maintain "fresh legs" but to keep the defensive line guessing who they will be matched up against. It's a chess match, and McDermott is Bobby Fisher.

Keep an eye out. This is the wave of the future and McDermott will be the innovator.

Bobby Fisher ?
love your enthusiasm my friend !!

56 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

I wish there were more open-minded members on this board.  Everyone laughed at Einstein and Newton when they came up with the apple dropping on the head thing. But where would we be if they didn’t think about it? 

Like you said,  every other position has been bastardized into RB/WR, S/CB, LB/DE. Yet some “traditionalists” insist the O line should not be mixed...as if they’re untouchable. Bull pucky!!!  The O linemen are some of the smartest dudes on the team. They know the playbook. They can learn a few new blocking schemes. After all, they make enough dough to justify a little movement. 

The element of surprise is underestimated. 

no one expects the Spanish Inquisition . No One !

• Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Augie said:

Now THAT could work. What you do is this; line up in a 4-3 with Star, Hughes, Murphy, and Oliver at OL. I guess you'd have to get a couple more guys on the line to avoid a penalty. The opposing defense will no doubt throw their offensive line onto the field as their HC goes into full panic mode. Now this approach will have the most success if we utilize it on obvious passing downs. The DL/their OL will back up in pass pro while the secondary waits for the ball to be snapped. You easily plow them over for a 30 yard gain. That's being conservative because it would almost certainly be a cakewalk into the endzone.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

Bobby Fisher ?
love your enthusiasm my friend !!

no one expects the Spanish Inquisition . No One !

That was Sun Sue I believe. 

1 minute ago, LSHMEAB said:

Now THAT could work. What you do is this; line up in a 4-3 with Star, Hughes, Murphy, and Oliver at OL. I guess you'd have to get a couple more guys on the line to avoid a penalty. The opposing defense will no doubt throw their offensive line onto the field as their HC goes into full panic mode. Now this approach will have the most success if we utilize it on obvious passing downs. The DL/their OL will back up in pass pro while the secondary waits for the ball to be snapped. You easily plow them over for a 30 yard gain. That's being conservative because it would almost certainly be a cakewalk into the endzone.

Heyyyy!!! Start your own damn innovation thread!!

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

“Ford played right tackle at Oklahoma. Beane said that's where he'll start off with the Bills, but that the team does "like his versatility to go inside.

"He's smart and physical and would be fine in there," the GM said.

While several scouting reports projected Ford as a guard at the NFL level, he said at the league's scouting combine that he prefers to play tackle.” Buffalo News

I’ll just leave this right here. 

11 hours ago, Bangarang said:

Terrible.

Free your mind. 

6 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

“Ford played right tackle at Oklahoma. Beane said that's where he'll start off with the Bills, but that the team does "like his versatility to go inside.

"He's smart and physical and would be fine in there," the GM said.

While several scouting reports projected Ford as a guard at the NFL level, he said at the league's scouting combine that he prefers to play tackle.” Buffalo News

I’ll just leave this right here. 

Free your mind. 

I respect the dedication you have to work on your comedy routine, I really do. I just hope you sequester these attempts to the offseason. 

Keep going though - you certainly need the practice. Until about August. Then stop.

1 hour ago, JoPar_v2 said:

I respect the dedication you have to work on your comedy routine, I really do. I just hope you sequester these attempts to the offseason. 

Keep going though - you certainly need the practice. Until about August. Then stop.

Oh, Ye of little knowledge. Open thy mind. Free thyself from the bonds of ignorance. Experience the raw beauty of uninhibited thought.

and Chill, Dude.

• Awesome! (+1) 2

6 hours ago, Figster said:

True that

I think I liked ieatcrayons better though,  :nana:   

Yes, he's dedicated to small ball and small ball only. At least in the past he would once in awhile hit one out of the park instead of this constant bunting. He's a shell of his former self.