Offensive Line by Committee? Chris Brown obtained my permission to run with the idea. #Versatility #FergyHasSpoken

2 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

......OL needs to jell as a unit, learning each other's tendencies, etc......Cowher said it is THE most important UNIT on the football field (ie. ALL on the same page)...."if it fails as a unit, everything else fails"...."plug 'n play defeats the "unit theory" IMO....

They would jell, since they're all still going to be on the field.  Still a unit.  Just versatile.

1 minute ago, BringBackFergy said:

Bolding your text doesn’t make your post any more meaningful. In fact, some might argue there is an underlying sense of jealousy in your indignation. 

Sorry, next time i wont bold it.

And how in the world you think i am somehow jealous of your post is even beyond absurd.

Just now, Gugny said:

They would jell, since they're all still going to be on the field.  Still a unit.  Just versatile.

Thanks. I’ve been trying to say this in too many words. Sometimes the simplest concepts are difficult to convey when people are close-minded. 

9 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Is this a massive troll job?

No it would lead to mass confusion, continually missed assignments, not playing to each players strengths.

I want my O Lineman to know who is next to them at all times, know what to expect from them and know their assignment with as little "thinking"  as possible. Can you imagine going from tackle one play to guard the next, in the middle of the play you forget you switched position?  Do i pick up the blitzer, what gap do i cover, who picks up the stunt, will i have help on this play or do i need to help?

It would be utter chaos.

Edited by RoyBatty is alive

4 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Is this a massive troll job?

No it would lead to mass confusion, continually missed assignments, not playing to each players strengths.

I want my O Lineman to know who is next to them at all times, know what to expect from them and know their assignment with as little "thinking"  as possible. Can you imagine going from tackle one play to guard the next, in the middle of the play you forget you switched position?  Do i pick up the blitzer, what gap do i cover, who picks up the stunt, will i have help on this play or do i need to help?

It would be utter chaos.

I agree nearly 100%.  But I don't see how some versatility and different look could be harmful.  I can see doing something like that could effectively keep an opposing D on their toes.

2 minutes ago, Billzfan23 said:

Why not change out the tight end with receivers, receivers with tight ends, and hell - let's have the QB run the ball and the back throw.

That has already been done. So why not take innovation one step further and use your O lineman as weapons rather than concrete pillars. Move them around and you’re no longer playing checkers, you’re winning at chess. 

31 minutes ago, OJ Tom said:

Well, if BILL COWHER said it....

...if the subject became a consideration, just my opinion that you'd have to do it in tandems....ie. LT/LG pair working together and same for right side....so perhaps substituting in pairs (sounds asinine)......only reason I bring it up is that Holmgren called Shell/Upshaw & Hutch/Jones "legendary"...hence pairs....

Why stop at the offensive line?  On first down on the second series, Shady will play left guard and Zay Jones will be the quarterback.  Morse will split wide to the right, and Ed Oliver will be the running back.   The defense will be so confused that they won't notice Zay handing off to Star, who will exploit a huge hole opened by Poyer at right guard, break a tackle and outrun the entire defensive backfield for a 92-yard touchdown. 

Edited by Shaw66

Good stuff here .

I vote for whatever makes the Bills less predictable 

Apparently it's working for my Texas Rangers, currently tied for the second Wild Card.

Being too predictable was quickly noticed by the new coaches that were recently hired.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, CowgirlsFan said:

Good stuff here .

I vote for whatever makes the Bills less predictable 

Apparently it's working for my Texas Rangers, currently tied for the second Wild Card.

Being too predictable was quickly noticed by the new coaches that were recently hired.

...why muddy the waters?....the OL has been UNpredictable (probably to THEMSELVES..) for years...start with a "starting five UNIT" all on the same page before getting "creative" IMO....

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Geeeze BBF... now that you’ve advertised it every one will know and prepare for it...

*sigh*

Element of surprise.... gone.... 

Yes, I am sure all of the NFL coaching staffs regularly read here to see what they can do to improve their teams.

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I agree nearly 100%.  But I don't see how some versatility and different look could be harmful.  I can see doing something like that could effectively keep an opposing D on their toes.

Versatility, absolutely, for emergencies so you let a tackle play half a preseason at guard, let some guards play center, some guards swing to tackle depending upon skill set and body type.

12 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

Yes, I am sure all of the NFL coaching staffs regularly read here to see what they can do to improve their teams.

Watch and see. The “K Gun” wasn’t named after Keith McKeller. It actually originated from a poster named “KapGun” who came up with the idea on an old Bills internet forum in the late 80’s. 

5 minutes ago, Capco said:

Fwiw, the Pats regularly play musical chairs with their offensive line and still manage to perform at a high level.

The Hoodie hasn’t even considered this “interchangeability” that McDermott is building. He will soon adopt it, however, after he witnesses it firsthand. 

• Haha (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...why muddy the waters?....the OL has been UNpredictable (probably to THEMSELVES..) for years...start with a "starting five UNIT" all on the same page before getting "creative" IMO....

How about more predictable as in providing good pass protection.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Figster said:

How about more predictable as in providing good pass protection.

...great call 'Fig......how about staunch OL fundamentals before getting cute?.......OL juggling will keep the opposing D on their heels?....seriously?.....leave "on their heels" to Daboll and company where multiple offensive variations can be more effective......a DC is going to fear OL line juggling?...hmmm....WE should fear it...

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...great call 'Fig......how about staunch OL fundamentals before getting cute?.......OL juggling will keep the opposing D on their heels?....seriously?.....leave "on their heels" to Daboll and company where multiple offensive variations can be more effective......a DC is going to fear OL line juggling?...hmmm....WE should fear it...

I forgot who said it (I think it was Sun Sue). “Change for the sake of change is no greater than surprise for the sake of victory. Both can be used to dominate your opponent in battle”. Think about that for a second.