Offensive Line by Committee? Chris Brown obtained my permission to run with the idea. #Versatility #FergyHasSpoken

42 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

YeAh, why would this make sense?  O linemen benefit from consistency and knowing the guy next to you.   Plus if you use certain o linemen, you might tip things off.  I hope this is just a silly throwaway idea.

Rather arcane of you, whippersnapper. Get with the times. They’ve reshaped the ball to aid the forward pass, the single wing is being fazed out and facemasks are all the rage!

Gaaaah! ... another ***** gadget.  All this team has ever had to do for the last 50something years is forge a ***** identity.  Draft linebackers and ***** offensive linemen, luck into the occasional skill position and QB, and this team would be known, year in and year out, as a tough, mean, difficult win.   

Instead we're a ***** gadget bag in a blizzard.  Speedy smurfs on ice.  A perennial question bag of jokes.  

Great, let's find a new way to outsmart outselves

• Haha (+1) 1

On 6/7/2019 at 10:24 AM, BringBackFergy said:

I know you are probably thinking there's a link to a profound article in this post, but NO. I came up with his idea all on my own. Watch how the football experts like ESPN, ProFootball Talk and Yahoo will pick up on this and run with it.  You guys just remember that old Fergy was the first to recognize the clear goal of our head coach: He is building an 5  cylinder engine on the O Line with pistons firing from different positions at all different times.

Here's what I mean:

What is McDermott's #1 goal in finding a suitable Offensive lineman??  ANSWER: Versatility

We have tackles that have played guard. We have guards that have played center. We have guards who played tackle. Shoot, we even had a TE who played tackle.  The point is, all through OTA's and minicamp, we have seen a variety of players playing at different spots.  Where else do we see this? On the defensive line of course.  DT's move to outside, DT's drop back, DE's move inside, DE/Linebackers move inside, etc.  So why not incorporate the movement and versatility of Offensive linemen in the same manner?

For example:  On 1st and 10, Morse lines up at center, Dawkins at Left Tackle, Feliciano at left Guard, Ford at right Guard and Nyseke at right Tackle. We gain 4 yards on a run play.  On 2nd and 6, we break huddle and Feliciano take the Center position, Dawkins moves to right Guard (his position for years) , Ford moves to right Tackle, Morse takes left Guard and Nyseke moves over to left Tackle.  The defensive ends and DT's will wonder what the hell is going on because most of them have studied film on the individual designated at that spot in front of them.  The versatility will throw them off.  Every great offense has to be innovative. 

In addition, versatility allows McDermott to create a stable of 8 O-lineman who can play all different positions.  Just like McDermott cycles D lineman in to keep them fresh, he will substitute in O linemen or move them around the line every 3rd down or two to not only maintain "fresh legs" but to keep the defensive line guessing who they will be matched up against. It's a chess match, and McDermott is Bobby Fisher.

Keep an eye out. This is the wave of the future and McDermott will be the innovator.

What could possibly go wrong?

https://giphy.com/gifs/6DyNiFYhOPsje

Edited by Nanker

On 6/7/2019 at 10:36 AM, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

......OL needs to jell as a unit, learning each other's tendencies, etc......Cowher said it is THE most important UNIT on the football field (ie. ALL on the same page)...."if it fails as a unit, everything else fails"...."plug 'n play defeats the "unit theory" IMO....

What the hell does Bill Cowher know about offensive football????

This is such a brilliant idea that I'm shocked it's taken an entire century of supposedly great coaches to grasp the awesomeness of "plug and play" for the OL!!!!   McDermott is truly the son of the god Beane!!!

//sarcasm off

6 minutes ago, SoTier said:

This is such a brilliant idea that I'm shocked it's taken an entire century of supposedly great coaches to grasp the awesomeness of "plug and play" for the OL!!!!   McDermott is truly the son of the god Beane!!!

//sarcasm off

Belicheck has been doing this since the early 2000's before they were the dominant Pats.

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Most teams don’t have 7 starting caliber OL to be able to do this

Just because they can't decide on which 5 to start doesn't mean that they have 7 "starting caliber" OLers any more than a HC not being able to decide which of 2 QBs to start means that he has 2 "starting caliber" QBs on his roster.  

My guess is that they still haven't hit on the right combination of 5 that does a good enough job at both run and pass blocking to become the starting OL.  Probably one combo of 5 is significantly better run blocking but unacceptably poor at pass blocking while another is the opposite.  It may very well be that Cody Ford is the problem --- maybe he's really not ready to play RT on every play.  He wouldn't be the first rookie to need more than a few OTAs and a TC to adapt to the pro game.

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Most teams don’t have 7 starting caliber OL to be able to do this

I think the strategy makes sense and not so much because of the amount of Oline you can swap off and onto the playing field per play.

More so because it matches our strengths and weaknesses per individual player against the oppositions strengths and weaknesses. This can change from week to week or even from play to play IMO.

On 6/7/2019 at 7:58 PM, 3rdand12 said:

Bobby Fisher ?
love your enthusiasm my friend !!

no one expects the Spanish Inquisition . No One !

Our chief weapons are fear, surprise, and a ruthless devotion to the pope...

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, SoTier said:

//sarcasm off

...CRAZY stuff, isn't it?......if you're formidable on the blind side, why the hell would you "plug and play"?......lookin' to get Josh on a gurney?......the ONLY remote possibility (and a waste of time/failed idea IMO), is to do it in tandems, but not the blind side (so what's the value?)....Shell/Upshaw and Jones/Hutch were considered legendary tandems (LEFT SIDE)...even Mouse would never have tinkered with them and he was THE master......so possibly you could have a right side starting tandem and a backup RIGHT SIDE tandem......but even that is asinine IMO.......

• Like (+1) 1