Offensive Line by Committee? Chris Brown obtained my permission to run with the idea. #Versatility #FergyHasSpoken

2 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

YeAh, why would this make sense?  O linemen benefit from consistency and knowing the guy next to you.   Plus if you use certain o linemen, you might tip things off.  I hope this is just a silly throwaway idea.

Teams have rotated D-linemen to keep them fresh for decades.  Obviously you're not going to telegraph your play-calling by sending in the same OL replacement for the same play.  If you've got 7 high quality O-linemen on your roster and can rotate them to keep them fresher/healthier, why not do it?

• Thank you (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

I mean, we may as well. There isn't a ton of continuity on this line.  I'm sure that some combo will eventually emerge as the best, and that will end up being the starting line. 

Which was my first impression: It sounds to me like they still aren’t positive who their Gamers are and won’t know till they see them in real action.

On 6/7/2019 at 10:24 AM, BringBackFergy said:

I know you are probably thinking there's a link to a profound article in this post, but NO. I came up with his idea all on my own. Watch how the football experts like ESPN, ProFootball Talk and Yahoo will pick up on this and run with it.  You guys just remember that old Fergy was the first to recognize the clear goal of our head coach: He is building an 5  cylinder engine on the O Line with pistons firing from different positions at all different times.

Here's what I mean:

What is McDermott's #1 goal in finding a suitable Offensive lineman??  ANSWER: Versatility

We have tackles that have played guard. We have guards that have played center. We have guards who played tackle. Shoot, we even had a TE who played tackle.  The point is, all through OTA's and minicamp, we have seen a variety of players playing at different spots.  Where else do we see this? On the defensive line of course.  DT's move to outside, DT's drop back, DE's move inside, DE/Linebackers move inside, etc.  So why not incorporate the movement and versatility of Offensive linemen in the same manner?

For example:  On 1st and 10, Morse lines up at center, Dawkins at Left Tackle, Feliciano at left Guard, Ford at right Guard and Nyseke at right Tackle. We gain 4 yards on a run play.  On 2nd and 6, we break huddle and Feliciano take the Center position, Dawkins moves to right Guard (his position for years) , Ford moves to right Tackle, Morse takes left Guard and Nyseke moves over to left Tackle.  The defensive ends and DT's will wonder what the hell is going on because most of them have studied film on the individual designated at that spot in front of them.  The versatility will throw them off.  Every great offense has to be innovative. 

In addition, versatility allows McDermott to create a stable of 8 O-lineman who can play all different positions.  Just like McDermott cycles D lineman in to keep them fresh, he will substitute in O linemen or move them around the line every 3rd down or two to not only maintain "fresh legs" but to keep the defensive line guessing who they will be matched up against. It's a chess match, and McDermott is Bobby Fisher.

Keep an eye out. This is the wave of the future and McDermott will be the innovator.

Patriots did it first.

38 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

I believe @BringBackFergy was onto this a while ago...

He was, and got bashed a bit for bringing up the concept.

Go. Bills!!!

• Thank you (+1) 1

this is a good idea.  It's another element in the rock paper scissors of the modern game.  if you notice that the opponents don't have the right guys or fail to be able to recognize something, you put in a package that can beat them pre snap and make the execution really simple.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, eball said:

Teams have rotated D-linemen to keep them fresh for decades.  Obviously you're not going to telegraph your play-calling by sending in the same OL replacement for the same play.  If you've got 7 high quality O-linemen on your roster and can rotate them to keep them fresher/healthier, why not do it?

Why don’t you think any team does this?  Like ever?  It’s much different being an olinemen than a d linemen.  The best olines are the ones that played together the longest. Wood and RI the scumbag were really good because they knew each other so well.  Communication and continuity are the keys to good o line play. 

Just now, colin said:

this is a good idea.  It's another element in the rock paper scissors of the modern game.  if you notice that the opponents don't have the right guys or fail to be able to recognize something, you put in a package that can beat them pre snap and make the execution really simple.

What if we just play with 8 o linemen at once?  ?

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Why don’t you think any team does this?  Like ever?  It’s much different being an olinemen than a d linemen.  The best olines are the ones that played together the longest. Wood and RI the scumbag were really good because they knew each other so well.  Communication and continuity are the keys to good o line play. 

That's old school thinking.  Nothing innovative ever came from someone saying, "we'll do it this way because that's how everybody else does it."

Edit:  and you do realize that whether it was because of injury or not, all of these guys played with each other in different combinations all spring and summer long?

Edited by eball
  • Like (+1) 1

- per @YoloinOhio

• Like (+1) 1

NE has put in 6 many many times vs us, and have had 6 and one or two TEs and perhaps 7 from time to time.

you've seen this happen, right?

Just like everywhere else in football.  It's all about matchups.  Why put Ford on an island vs premier speed rushers?  Nyske is better and more athletic at that.  I understand the mind set.  If NE does it, then its something to consider.  

Just now, colin said:

NE has put in 6 many many times vs us, and have had 6 and one or two TEs and perhaps 7 from time to time.

you've seen this happen, right?

I know you add an olinemen for certain formations but it’s probably less than 10% of the snaps.  Also, they have the best qb ever so everything is a little different.

I hope this is true.  For the last 20 years I've been watching the Bills get quick snapped, stuck in bad personnel groupings, 12 men on the field, QB sneaked, bubble screened and however many other nuanced ways the Patriots have taken advantage of the Bills old school thinking.  it would be nice to watch innovation happening from our sidelines for a change.   Throw in a 300 yard passing performance on offense and my head might explode.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, C.Biscuit97 said:

I know you add an olinemen for certain formations but it’s probably less than 10% of the snaps.  Also, they have the best qb ever so everything is a little different.

you don't add in linemen or shuffle the formation to necessarily take advantage of the qb's skills, if anything you want more weapons and less blockers for that.  

you change up linemen, go unbalanced, and jumbo formations in order to make the D pick a poison and exploit it, and it's all known pre snap (new england's specialty).  short screen passes and running plays behind a massive wall of blockers work vs spread or pass D, and you can put one or two routes over the top vs a run D.  if the D on the field doesn't match up well and lines up one way or another, you have all your reads done pre snap and just go.  when the pats split a slot guy shallow and have a TE on the strong side, i swear i can guess more than 75% of the time that it will be a quick screen or shallow throw to the slot and an 8 yard gain based on the d line up.  it's sad how they keep doing it, so if we are copying that concept, i'm all for it.