Offensive Line by Committee? Chris Brown obtained my permission to run with the idea. #Versatility #FergyHasSpoken

1 hour ago, BuffAlone said:

You guys just remember that old BuffAlone was the first to recognize that this is completely absurd

My man Bangarang beat you to it.

So we still won’t remember.

Edited by Jay_Fixit
  • Haha (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

They should just play musical chairs and then Allen claps his hands....you have to block the guy in front of you.  So you might have some alignments where Mitch Morse is at Left Tackle blocking Myles Garrett but that's okay.  

This isn’t as crazy as that wrong guy saying Darryl Strawberry has the best swing in baseball history.

But it’s close.

Well, no it’s not. That was as wrong as wrong could be. And hilarious.

So, apparently, we have a bunch of quitters on this board. A bunch of naysayers who fashion themselves the next great coach or game manager.

There is something to be said for being a visionary. It's a trait that few have, but it generally requires others mocking, joking, critique and, as is customary, an apology when they finally realize the vision makes sense...and works!!

All of you who harp on the chemistry bandwagon, consider this: D Lineman generally played from a given position back twenty years ago. Nose tackle lined up straight on center, DE's on the outside against O tackle.  Over the course of many years, the d line players began shifting and now substitute in every two or three downs.  How much chemistry do you think is maintained when we have Jordan Phillips, Kyle Williams, Harrison Phillips and Hughes, Lawson and Lonzo shuffling in and out every three downs?? I'd say your chemistry argument has gone down the drain with your other "can't do that" arguments.

These current O linemen are being moved in and out of position and spending days and days together to build the same chemistry you find in the RB room, the QB room and the special team room.  Are you all saying they are too dumb to adopt a multi-dimensional skillset?? Is that the argument you are making? Because next to versatility, McDermott favors smart fellas who can play various roles and are as familiar with the playbook as they are with their right palm.

Play 1) LT - Player A, LG - Player B, C - Player C, RG - Player D, RT - Player E

Play 2) Player D, Player E, Player A, Player C, Player B

Play 3) Player F, Player C, Player E, Player D, Player B

Not only are you providing fresh legs, but you are screwing with the minds of the d linemen and LB's.

Really can't believe you guys are against this? Is the mocking for real or are you just having fun with me?

1 hour ago, BringBackFergy said:

I know you are probably thinking there's a link to a profound article in this post, but NO. I came up with his idea all on my own. Watch how the football experts like ESPN, ProFootball Talk and Yahoo will pick up on this and run with it.  You guys just remember that old Fergy was the first to recognize the clear goal of our head coach: He is building an 5  cylinder engine on the O Line with pistons firing from different positions at all different times.

Here's what I mean:

What is McDermott's #1 goal in finding a suitable Offensive lineman??  ANSWER: Versatility

We have tackles that have played guard. We have guards that have played center. We have guards who played tackle. Shoot, we even had a TE who played tackle.  The point is, all through OTA's and minicamp, we have seen a variety of players playing at different spots.  Where else do we see this? On the defensive line of course.  DT's move to outside, DT's drop back, DE's move inside, DE/Linebackers move inside, etc.  So why not incorporate the movement and versatility of Offensive linemen in the same manner?

For example:  On 1st and 10, Morse lines up at center, Dawkins at Left Tackle, Feliciano at left Guard, Ford at right Guard and Nyseke at right Tackle. We gain 4 yards on a run play.  On 2nd and 6, we break huddle and Feliciano take the Center position, Dawkins moves to right Guard (his position for years) , Ford moves to right Tackle, Morse takes left Guard and Nyseke moves over to left Tackle.  The defensive ends and DT's will wonder what the hell is going on because most of them have studied film on the individual designated at that spot in front of them.  The versatility will throw them off.  Every great offense has to be innovative. 

In addition, versatility allows McDermott to create a stable of 8 O-lineman who can play all different positions.  Just like McDermott cycles D lineman in to keep them fresh, he will substitute in O linemen or move them around the line every 3rd down or two to not only maintain "fresh legs" but to keep the defensive line guessing who they will be matched up against. It's a chess match, and McDermott is Bobby Fisher.

Keep an eye out. This is the wave of the future and McDermott will be the innovator.

In what years was right guard Dawkins's position? 

2 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

I know you are probably thinking there's a link to a profound article in this post, but NO. I came up with his idea all on my own. Watch how the football experts like ESPN, ProFootball Talk and Yahoo will pick up on this and run with it.  You guys just remember that old Fergy was the first to recognize the clear goal of our head coach: He is building an 5  cylinder engine on the O Line with pistons firing from different positions at all different times.

Here's what I mean:

What is McDermott's #1 goal in finding a suitable Offensive lineman??  ANSWER: Versatility

We have tackles that have played guard. We have guards that have played center. We have guards who played tackle. Shoot, we even had a TE who played tackle.  The point is, all through OTA's and minicamp, we have seen a variety of players playing at different spots.  Where else do we see this? On the defensive line of course.  DT's move to outside, DT's drop back, DE's move inside, DE/Linebackers move inside, etc.  So why not incorporate the movement and versatility of Offensive linemen in the same manner?

For example:  On 1st and 10, Morse lines up at center, Dawkins at Left Tackle, Feliciano at left Guard, Ford at right Guard and Nyseke at right Tackle. We gain 4 yards on a run play.  On 2nd and 6, we break huddle and Feliciano take the Center position, Dawkins moves to right Guard (his position for years) , Ford moves to right Tackle, Morse takes left Guard and Nyseke moves over to left Tackle.  The defensive ends and DT's will wonder what the hell is going on because most of them have studied film on the individual designated at that spot in front of them.  The versatility will throw them off.  Every great offense has to be innovative. 

In addition, versatility allows McDermott to create a stable of 8 O-lineman who can play all different positions.  Just like McDermott cycles D lineman in to keep them fresh, he will substitute in O linemen or move them around the line every 3rd down or two to not only maintain "fresh legs" but to keep the defensive line guessing who they will be matched up against. It's a chess match, and McDermott is Bobby Fisher.

Keep an eye out. This is the wave of the future and McDermott will be the innovator.

Okay, just hear me out.

no

8 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

The Buffalo Bills selected Dawkins in the second round (63rd overall) of the 2017 NFL Draft. Dawkins was the second offensive guard drafted in 2017, behind Western Kentucky guard Forrest Lamp.[15]

He played all but 3 of his college games at Temple as a LT. He played guard in the Senior Bowl. A lot of us think he would be an elite NFL guard but it most definitely has not been "his position for years."

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

He played all but 3 of his college games at Temple as a LT. He played guard in the Senior Bowl. A lot of us think he would be an elite NFL guard but it most definitely has not been "his position for years."

Ahem...V-E-R-S-A-T-I-L-E

I do see where you are coming from, but I think the only way this works is if you have certain guys better at run vs pass and vice versa. But if you sub in your run blockers that gives away the play.

Regardless, you'd always want your center to be the same. Their connection with the QB is the most important. The snap exchange needs to be so engrained that it doesn't even require thinking.

2 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

......OL needs to jell as a unit, learning each other's tendencies, etc......Cowher said it is THE most important UNIT on the football field (ie. ALL on the same page)...."if it fails as a unit, everything else fails"...."plug 'n play defeats the "unit theory" IMO....

Well, if BILL COWHER said it....

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

This is the most ridiculous post i have ever read here.

Bolding your text doesn’t make your post any more meaningful. In fact, some might argue there is an underlying sense of jealousy in your indignation. 

• Haha (+1) 1