Offensive Line by Committee? Chris Brown obtained my permission to run with the idea. #Versatility #FergyHasSpoken

I know you are probably thinking there's a link to a profound article in this post, but NO. I came up with his idea all on my own. Watch how the football experts like ESPN, ProFootball Talk and Yahoo will pick up on this and run with it.  You guys just remember that old Fergy was the first to recognize the clear goal of our head coach: He is building an 5  cylinder engine on the O Line with pistons firing from different positions at all different times.

Here's what I mean:

What is McDermott's #1 goal in finding a suitable Offensive lineman??  ANSWER: Versatility

We have tackles that have played guard. We have guards that have played center. We have guards who played tackle. Shoot, we even had a TE who played tackle.  The point is, all through OTA's and minicamp, we have seen a variety of players playing at different spots.  Where else do we see this? On the defensive line of course.  DT's move to outside, DT's drop back, DE's move inside, DE/Linebackers move inside, etc.  So why not incorporate the movement and versatility of Offensive linemen in the same manner?

For example:  On 1st and 10, Morse lines up at center, Dawkins at Left Tackle, Feliciano at left Guard, Ford at right Guard and Nyseke at right Tackle. We gain 4 yards on a run play.  On 2nd and 6, we break huddle and Feliciano take the Center position, Dawkins moves to right Guard (his position for years) , Ford moves to right Tackle, Morse takes left Guard and Nyseke moves over to left Tackle.  The defensive ends and DT's will wonder what the hell is going on because most of them have studied film on the individual designated at that spot in front of them.  The versatility will throw them off.  Every great offense has to be innovative. 

In addition, versatility allows McDermott to create a stable of 8 O-lineman who can play all different positions.  Just like McDermott cycles D lineman in to keep them fresh, he will substitute in O linemen or move them around the line every 3rd down or two to not only maintain "fresh legs" but to keep the defensive line guessing who they will be matched up against. It's a chess match, and McDermott is Bobby Fisher.

Keep an eye out. This is the wave of the future and McDermott will be the innovator.

Edited by BringBackFergy
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 11
  • Awesome! (+1) 9
  • Thank you (+1) 4

Wow thats sound a bit drastic, at first I thought you were going to write only about fresh legs. The same way D lines do all the time in order to have strong players all game long. By doing this on the O line this would allow them to be fresh as well as the D line. 

But to change position play by play... oh boy I don´t think that would be a good idea. Heck, I don´t even think changing players from series to series is a good idea becuase part of beeing a good line is how well they know each other. 

......OL needs to jell as a unit, learning each other's tendencies, etc......Cowher said it is THE most important UNIT on the football field (ie. ALL on the same page)...."if it fails as a unit, everything else fails"...."plug 'n play defeats the "unit theory" IMO....

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

I know you are probably thinking there's a link to a profound article in this post, but NO. I came up with his idea all on my own. Watch how the football experts like ESPN, ProFootball Talk and Yahoo will pick up on this and run with it.  You guys just remember that old Fergy was the first to recognize the clear goal of our head coach: He is building an 5  cylinder engine on the O Line with pistons firing from different positions at all different times.

Here's what I mean:

What is McDermott's #1 goal in finding a suitable Offensive lineman??  ANSWER: Versatility

We have tackles that have played guard. We have guards that have played center. We have guards who played tackle. Shoot, we even had a TE who played tackle.  The point is, all through OTA's and minicamp, we have seen a variety of players playing at different spots.  Where else do we see this? On the defensive line of course.  DT's move to outside, DT's drop back, DE's move inside, DE/Linebackers move inside, etc.  So why not incorporate the movement and versatility of Offensive linemen in the same manner?

For example:  On 1st and 10, Morse lines up at center, Dawkins at Left Tackle, Feliciano at left Guard, Ford at right Guard and Nyseke at right Tackle. We gain 4 yards on a run play.  On 2nd and 6, we break huddle and Feliciano take the Center position, Dawkins moves to right Guard (his position for years) , Ford moves to right Tackle, Morse takes left Guard and Nyseke moves over to left Tackle.  The defensive ends and DT's will wonder what the hell is going on because most of them have studied film on the individual designated at that spot in front of them.  The versatility will throw them off.  Every great offense has to be innovative. 

In addition, versatility allows McDermott to create a stable of 8 O-lineman who can play all different positions.  Just like McDermott cycles D lineman in to keep them fresh, he will substitute in O linemen or move them around the line every 3rd down or two to not only maintain "fresh legs" but to keep the defensive line guessing who they will be matched up against. It's a chess match, and McDermott is Bobby Fisher.

Keep an eye out. This is the wave of the future and McDermott will be the innovator.

Geeeze BBF... now that you’ve advertised it every one will know and prepare for it...

*sigh*

Element of surprise.... gone.... 

• Haha (+1) 4

With all due respect Fergy good Olines get that way by playing together so the only way I see this idea having any merit is if the whole unit can be changed at once. Even then you would have a drop off in protection. 

Good Oline is also costly...

Edited by Figster
  • Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

I know you are probably thinking there's a link to a profound article in this post, but NO. I came up with his idea all on my own.

As we say at my job, 9 out of 10 ideas are bad. Congrats on using up all 9 at once.

• Haha (+1) 3

27 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

Here's what I mean:

Just the other day I was reading on Allen and Morse working together, and one stated that they were focusing on the simple nuances, such as pre-snap, hand placement; the QB and C usually develop chemistry, you'd probably be disrupting it unnecessarily if your idea was incorporated and applied throughout an entire game. 

I think McDermott simply seeks O-line versatility, for the sake of being able to plug in quality players, in the event of an injury along the O-line --- not for innovation. 

36 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

You guys just remember that old Fergy was the first to recognize the clear goal of our head coach: 

Shoot, we even had a TE who played tackle.  

No I don't. Clearly Coach McD thought about it and said "That is almost as bad as starting Peterman as QB" and cut the TE would played tackle.

When are you changing posting alias to "ieatleadpaint"?

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

No I don't. Clearly Coach McD thought about it and said "That is almost as bad as starting Peterman as QB" and cut the TE would played tackle.

When are you changing posting alias to "ieatleadpaint"?

I kinda miss ieatcrayons...

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Every player that has been signed or drafted can play another position on the line, except Morse. This is the versatility that McDermott and Beane sought. If someone gets hurt they have another person available to step in. 

Center- got the best FA one available. Morse will be able to help with line calls and veteran leadership.

Guards- Spain, Long, and Feliciano all have proven ability a guard. Feliciano and Long have played center before and can backup Morse. 

Tackle- Dawkins and Ford can play tackle or move inside to guard. Nyseke is the perfect swing tackle to step in if Ford is having a bad game or to give one of the other guys a breather.

All FA were signed to short deal except Morse. 

Switching positions mid game much less mid drive isn’t easily done. In fact given 4 out of 5 projected starters are new to the team and system I’d say it would be careless to do for any other reason than necessity. 

I am sure the OP was just having some fun. It does shine light on the fact that the team signed guys who can play multiple positions.  Well done by Beane.

Edited by atlbillsfan1975
  • Like (+1) 2

The only substitutes on offensive line that make sense are

• Pulling a player who is getting beaten constantly and have them watch with coach on how he is being beat so he can go back in and play better. 
  • Substituting heavier, stronger player in short yardage situation. Yes opposition can substitute but reason you are substituting is because you believe sub is better in this particular situation.
  • Inserting an extra lineman and kicking tackle outside.

2 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Tackle- Dawkins and Ford can play tackle or move inside to guard. Nyseke is the perfect swing tackle to step in if Ford is having a bad game or to give one of the other guys a breather.

We used to have such a tackle who for short periods he was very good but was not effective as a full time tackle.

41 minutes ago, BuffAlone said:

You guys just remember that old BuffAlone was the first to recognize that this is completely absurd

I read it here first!

I'd rather go with the old Tony Dungy mantra of being so good at the basics, that you could tell them what you're about to do and they wouldn't be able to stop it.

The versatile O-linemen is more important for depth, not being a "jack of all trades, master of none" gimmick that is more easily stopped if they catch on.  You can just run more unorthodox plays if you want to catch them off guard.

• Like (+1) 1