Brady On Skipping Voluntary Workouts: "I have a family; kids aren't getting any younger"

Gugny

2 hours ago, Captain_Quint said:

What about Bridgette Moynahans son? 3rd wheel or bastard son of goat? 

He probably had Krass bribe the tester to see if he was father to get out of payments.

Oh and it is Bridget not Bridgette.  Hope her son grows up to be a DE which stomps NE QBs.

On 6/7/2019 at 7:12 AM, Johnnycage46 said:

This actually makes me like him more (can't believe I am saying that).  Other players could learn something from him regarding being a "present" father.

True. But so many of us have to be absent more often than we'd like to make ends meet. 

Brady has the means to make expensive arrangements to have his family closer to work during the very long NFL "season", if he so chooses. He's definitely earned the right to do as he pleases with respect to voluntary "off-season" workouts, but it's an issue with me that he does so for the same reasons that so many of his younger, less-established teammates share but cannot/should not indulge. 

I believe the more seniority, security, and salary an employee accrues, the more responsibility (moral/ethical) they have to lead by example. Not on behalf of their employers, but instead on behalf of their colleagues who are still grinding to carve out a stable living. So often, of course, it works out quite the opposite. All the way up the ladder. 

On 6/7/2019 at 9:43 AM, Royale with Cheese said:

This is the way I view it as well.  

Many established major league established starting pitchers don't even travel with the team if they aren't going to be in the rotation for that series.  

Like who?

17 minutes ago, Gordio said:

Like who?

It's a pretty common and a well known fact.  You'll see it in the contract of higher profile/older pitchers.  Also, before away trips they often arrive a day or two before the team to get throwing sessions in and not be hampered by the travel. 

Like I said earlier, Brady is in a different category all together.  The only players that used come close to playing at his age were kickers.  His family is older, it's not like his teammates that are 22-30 years of age with no kids, or with real little ones running around.  Different circumstances, different privileges when you're the best to do in in your generation. 

Edited by YodaMan79

1 minute ago, YodaMan79 said:

It's a pretty common and a well known fact.  You'll see it in the contract of higher profile/older pitchers.  Also, before away trips they often arrive a day or two before the team to get throwing sessions in and not be hampered by the travel.  

Huh, I follow baseball a ton & never really realized that.  Interesting.  I know in playoff series sometimes they will send the starting pitcher home if he is not scheduled to start, but never realized they did that in the regular season. 

12 minutes ago, Gordio said:

Like who?

I think the most notable one was when Roger Clemens returned to the Yankees.  I remember talking about it with my teammates how I thought it was ridiculous he was getting special treatment.  Our dugout coach used to be a Philly scout and I've known about 15 people who were drafted and/or made it all the way.  

It's not every established pitcher, most still will travel.  It's usually the older ones with families.  I think John Smoltz talked about it towards the end of his career in a broadcast as well.  

One other thing I found out is why you see so many players not hustling it out to first all the time.  Players aren't pushed to run hard as they can on a routine ground ball.  Coaching staff/Front Offices would rather you not pull a hammy and be out 2-4 weeks for something you have 1% chance of not being out....especially if it's a regular season game in which playoff implications aren't greatly affected.  Of course when it's that time and playoff time...give it everything.

3 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I think the most notable one was when Roger Clemens returned to the Yankees.  I remember talking about it with my teammates how I thought it was ridiculous he was getting special treatment.  Our dugout coach used to be a Philly scout and I've known about 15 people who were drafted and/or made it all the way.  

It's not every established pitcher, most still will travel.  It's usually the older ones with families.  I think John Smoltz talked about it towards the end of his career in a broadcast as well.  

One other thing I found out is why you see so many players not hustling it out to first all the time.  Players aren't pushed to run hard as they can on a routine ground ball.  Coaching staff/Front Offices would rather you not pull a hammy and be out 2-4 weeks for something you have 1% chance of not being out....especially if it's a regular season game in which playoff implications aren't greatly affected.  Of course when it's that time and playoff time...give it everything.

That is interesting, thanks for the clarification, I appreciate it.  

4 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

John Edward Thomas

I wonder if those are the three guys she finally narrowed it down to before anyone took a paternity test.

8 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

First player from the Buffalo Public school system was just selected in the amateur draft for the first time since 1974

The family thing can always be used to explain this away.  And to some extent I believe that this is part of his decision making.  But the reality is he is not showing up to OTA's because of the whole situation with his trainer.  Like someone else said, he can afford to arrange all sorts of things with his family that most of us dont have as an option.

The good news is this will probably be his last year.  

The bad news is he isnt going to stick around to long and get destroyed by us a few times.

On 6/10/2019 at 12:38 AM, Richard Noggin said:

True. But so many of us have to be absent more often than we'd like to make ends meet. 

Brady has the means to make expensive arrangements to have his family closer to work during the very long NFL "season", if he so chooses. He's definitely earned the right to do as he pleases with respect to voluntary "off-season" workouts, but it's an issue with me that he does so for the same reasons that so many of his younger, less-established teammates share but cannot/should not indulge. 

I believe the more seniority, security, and salary an employee accrues, the more responsibility (moral/ethical) they have to lead by example. Not on behalf of their employers, but instead on behalf of their colleagues who are still grinding to carve out a stable living. So often, of course, it works out quite the opposite. All the way up the ladder. 

He already put in more work than they ever will.  Most of the time jealous people dont realize the work someone puts in to attain higher position.  It is a lot more than the average person does or ever will.