Brady On Skipping Voluntary Workouts: "I have a family; kids aren't getting any younger"

Gugny

56 minutes ago, DCBongo said:

of his era.  Put Brady in the 1970's with the likes of Bradshaw and Staubach and he would not have the success he does now.  QB's weren't protected like Brady is today.  I take nothing away from the douchebag, but to call him the greatest of ALL time is not fair since every generation the game changes and Brady has been protected like few quarterbacks before him.   

Brady protects himself with his un-equalled field vision and quick release--just like Marino did back in the old Manly-Man days of leather helmet football.    I'm confident the ball is out of his hand quicker that when Bradshaw and Staubach played.   The only difference is hitting the QB after the ball is gone, which was a less enforced penalty back in the day... 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Virgil said:

The hypocrisy is there,  but even the players on his team won’t admit it.  Everyone has families, but Tom is too good to tell him no. 

It might bother players on his team, but they’d rather stomach it and have him play than risk pissing him off. 

When you are that good, you can get away with doing less.  Just the way the world works.  

If Josh skips the entire offseason and wins a ring, no one will care about anything except the ring. 

But on a more important note...

***** Tom Brady

Why is it hypocrisy? Is he saying that other players should be attending voluntary programs?

Maybe you don't agree with his reasons, but I don't see any indication of him being a hypocrite.

Now, you can go back a few years ago and see Brady talking about how important OTA's are, but I don't think he is claiming that OTA's now aren't important, I just think his relationship with Bill Belichick has soured a little bit because Bill doesn't cut him any slack even after all these years of winning (their tension last year was widely speculated upon).

PLUS I think he's had a heart to heart with his wife and he's probably agreed that if he wants to play deep into his 40's he has to also be present as much as possible at home with the family.

All in all, I see no issue with this and despite the fact I think Brady is an a** and a cry baby on the field and on the sidelines, I respect the approach he has taken with his family (but don't force your son to kiss you in the lips anymore. Awkward.)

5 hours ago, chknwing334 said:

As long as they ignore the fact that he left his pregnant girlfriend to date a supermodel...

*I actually don't think it matters if he is at voluntary workouts and I know there are conflicting versions of the pregnant girlfriend timeline.

That's essentially the scenario for half of every NFL roster.

12 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Don’t forget the onion rings 

IMO it’s a nothing burger because he’s done this before......... and it didn’t matter one bit to his game 

I have no problem with him skipping.  That's a no-brainer.  My only point is that what he said could easily rub some of his teammates in attendance the wrong way.

As opposed to how Bob Kraft was rubbed.

• Haha (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Don’t forget the onion rings 

IMO it’s a nothing burger because he’s done this before......... and it didn’t matter one bit to his game 

I mean the whole thing probably amounts to nothing. The way he talked about it though does make you wonder if maybe he's peeking out that retirement exit a bit more and may be less committed than he usually is. Then again nothing ever seems to be true about him leaving, having dysfunction, going downhill, or anything else generally negative until it is.

7 hours ago, ALLEN1QB said:

He's not getting any younger either. Father time is coming for you Tommy boy!!!

I was begining to wonder if I was only one reading this thinking his retirement is just around the corner.

Edited by twist_to_open

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

I have no problem with him skipping.  That's a no-brainer.  My only point is that what he said could easily rub some of his teammates in attendance the wrong way.

As opposed to how Bob Kraft was rubbed.

So, he’s becoming a grumpy old man who just wants to yell

Get off my lahn.     

3 hours ago, DCBongo said:

of his era.  Put Brady in the 1970's with the likes of Bradshaw and Staubach and he would not have the success he does now.  QB's weren't protected like Brady is today.  I take nothing away from the douchebag, but to call him the greatest of ALL time is not fair since every generation the game changes and Brady has been protected like few quarterbacks before him.   

Yes they created a rule, The Tuck Rule, for something not in rules just to quiet down detractors who complained that the zebras were helping him when they took back a fumble.  When the fire went down they took away the rule 

Kieba-Donut-Cushion-600x600.jpg

12 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Yes they created a rule, The Tuck Rule, for something not in rules just to quiet down detractors who complained that the zebras were helping him when they took back a fumble.  When the fire went down they took away the rule 

That rule already existed...in fact, it was called earlier that same year against NE....the rule was stupid and I'm glad they got rid of it...but in that game, it was called properly....

12 hours ago, Gugny said:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/26912495/brady-tom-terrific-hoped-halt-use

The article is about the nickname "controversy," but my biggest takeaway was Brady's comments about missing voluntary workouts.

"I have a family at home, and they get some of my time and energy," Brady said. "My wife is a very ambitious woman, and she travels a lot, so I'm just trying to divide some responsibility at home. She supports me a lot. My family supports me a lot. My kids aren't getting any younger. So just trying to spend the time with them when I can and still get the other things done that I need to get done, and be ready to go when it's time to go."

A couple ways to think about this:

1.  He's earned it.  He obviously doesn't NEED to go to these things.

2.  It's kind of a slap in the face to other players with families.

I'm not one to criticize Brady a hell of a lot.  In this one, however, I do think he comes across like a douche.

I agree with him completely. 

5 hours ago, MJS said:

Why is it hypocrisy? Is he saying that other players should be attending voluntary programs?

Maybe you don't agree with his reasons, but I don't see any indication of him being a hypocrite.

Now, you can go back a few years ago and see Brady talking about how important OTA's are, but I don't think he is claiming that OTA's now aren't important, I just think his relationship with Bill Belichick has soured a little bit because Bill doesn't cut him any slack even after all these years of winning (their tension last year was widely speculated upon).

PLUS I think he's had a heart to heart with his wife and he's probably agreed that if he wants to play deep into his 40's he has to also be present as much as possible at home with the family.

All in all, I see no issue with this and despite the fact I think Brady is an a** and a cry baby on the field and on the sidelines, I respect the approach he has taken with his family (but don't force your son to kiss you in the lips anymore. Awkward.)

Hypocrisy of the sport and saying all committed players should be there.  Not him specifically