Brady On Skipping Voluntary Workouts: "I have a family; kids aren't getting any younger"

Gugny

Hey Brady, there is a simple solution to this. Just retire bro. You don't need the money and your body probably doesn't need the punishment. You are already teh greatest of all-time. Just call it quits and enjoy the rest of your life. 

The media and the coaching staff really need to understand what the word "voluntary" means.  I think it is so stupid that media reports on who doesn't show up to "voluntary" work outs as if they are not team players, or are not dedicated to football, or are selfish.  So dumb.  "we're in here talking about voluntary practice. I mean, listen, we're talking about voluntary practice. Not a real practice. Not a real practice. Not a real practice. We're talking about voluntary practice. Not a real practice. Not the real practice that I go out there and die for and play every real practice like it's my last. Not the real practice. We're talking about voluntary practice, man."

Edited by Mark80
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Gugny said:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/26912495/brady-tom-terrific-hoped-halt-use

The article is about the nickname "controversy," but my biggest takeaway was Brady's comments about missing voluntary workouts.

"I have a family at home, and they get some of my time and energy," Brady said. "My wife is a very ambitious woman, and she travels a lot, so I'm just trying to divide some responsibility at home. She supports me a lot. My family supports me a lot. My kids aren't getting any younger. So just trying to spend the time with them when I can and still get the other things done that I need to get done, and be ready to go when it's time to go."

A couple ways to think about this:

1.  He's earned it.  He obviously doesn't NEED to go to these things.

2.  It's kind of a slap in the face to other players with families.

I'm not one to criticize Brady a hell of a lot.  In this one, however, I do think he comes across like a douche.

He has earned it, and he’s in a league of his own where this is concerned. 

1 hour ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Whatever Tom, lol . This is the lamest excuse from athletes. You have more time than the rest of us and we go to work most every day.

you are kind of defeating your point there....

1 hour ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Whatever Tom, lol . This is the lamest excuse from athletes. You have more time than the rest of us and we go to work most every day.

Hmm, but they do travel most weekends during the season. And they work through the week as well. Not sure I totally agree with you.

57 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

He has earned it, and he’s in a league of his own where this is concerned. 

I agree.  My opinion is that no harm would have come from him giving a more generic answer.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, vincec said:

Good for him. If anybody can skip a voluntary minicamp it's him. I seriously doubt in 20 years when he looks back he will be saying "Man, I really with I had gone to that minicamp I missed."

You saying Tom speaks with a lisp? Never noticed it.

8 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I agree.  My opinion is that no harm would have come from him giving a more generic answer.

I agree. But, what he said wasnt wrong either. Just not right.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, WhoTom said:

If he cared that much about his kids, he'd retire and spend even more time with them.

EXACTLY ^^^^ 

F•£* том Brady* !! 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

The hypocrisy is there,  but even the players on his team won’t admit it.  Everyone has families, but Tom is too good to tell him no. 

It might bother players on his team, but they’d rather stomach it and have him play than risk pissing him off. 

When you are that good, you can get away with doing less.  Just the way the world works.  

If Josh skips the entire offseason and wins a ring, no one will care about anything except the ring. 

But on a more important note...

***** Tom Brady

Edited by Virgil
  • Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

When you're the GOAT you've earned the right to skip voluntary workouts.

of his era.  Put Brady in the 1970's with the likes of Bradshaw and Staubach and he would not have the success he does now.  QB's weren't protected like Brady is today.  I take nothing away from the douchebag, but to call him the greatest of ALL time is not fair since every generation the game changes and Brady has been protected like few quarterbacks before him.   

• Awesome! (+1) 2

1 minute ago, DCBongo said:

of his era.  Put Brady in the 1970's with the likes of Bradshaw and Staubach and he would not have the success he does now.  QB's weren't protected like Brady is today.  I take nothing away from the douchebag, but to call him the greatest of ALL time is not fair since every generation the game changes and Brady has been protected like few quarterbacks before him.   

Disagree.  Closest to Brady is Montana in my eyes.  Plus it's fun to debate these things!

• Like (+1) 1