Brady On Skipping Voluntary Workouts: "I have a family; kids aren't getting any younger"

Gugny

8 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Is this new?

Tainted Tom has said / done this before 

A nothing burger ? 

If the thread is a nothing burger, your post just made it a Deluxe.

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Johnnycage46 said:

This actually makes me like him more (can't believe I am saying that).  Other players could learn something from him regarding being a "present" father.

As long as they ignore the fact that he left his pregnant girlfriend to date a supermodel...

*I actually don't think it matters if he is at voluntary workouts and I know there are conflicting versions of the pregnant girlfriend timeline.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Just looked it up - if you include playoff games, Brady is the all-time passing yardage leader, ahead of Manning, Brees, and Favre. He has played in 40 postseason games — 2.5 extra seasons of extremely high intensity games.

call me impressed...?

2 hours ago, Gugny said:

I'm not one to criticize Brady a hell of a lot.  In this one, however, I do think he comes across like a douche.

once a douche, always a douche.

3 minutes ago, wagon127 said:

If he really cared about his kids, he would skip the Regular season too.....

yeah, I was just thinking about that.  Perhaps something Tahme should consider...more quality time with the family.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Gugny said:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/26912495/brady-tom-terrific-hoped-halt-use

The article is about the nickname "controversy," but my biggest takeaway was Brady's comments about missing voluntary workouts.

"I have a family at home, and they get some of my time and energy," Brady said. "My wife is a very ambitious woman, and she travels a lot, so I'm just trying to divide some responsibility at home. She supports me a lot. My family supports me a lot. My kids aren't getting any younger. So just trying to spend the time with them when I can and still get the other things done that I need to get done, and be ready to go when it's time to go."

A couple ways to think about this:

1.  He's earned it.  He obviously doesn't NEED to go to these things.

2.  It's kind of a slap in the face to other players with families.

I'm not one to criticize Brady a hell of a lot.  In this one, however, I do think he comes across like a douche.

I hate the Patriots and I hate Tom Brady but I respect his accomplishments at the highest level. His answer to the question is far more poetic and positive than I originally thought. I would have said,  you guys can just shut the F*#$ up, when haven’t I been ready and when haven’t I done it in the field?

Hats off to you Tom, classy answer and anyone who doesn’t like it, should follow my advice. 

• Like (+1) 2

48 minutes ago, YodaMan79 said:

He's also 41.  Most players in the league have been done for 10+ years at his age.  His family is at a different stage than a majority of his peers.  He's earned the right to have these choices.  I'm sure BB has no issue with it either.  We all know he'll be ready when it counts.  

This is the way I view it as well.  

Many established major league established starting pitchers don't even travel with the team if they aren't going to be in the rotation for that series.  

Edited by Royale with Cheese

I think his reasoning for not attending is great (the family angle) and I also think he's earned it.

I agree with Buffalo Bill, though - I think a less-is-more type of answer would have been a better idea.

Every single player has something better to do.  It goes without saying that Brady is the GOAT, can do whatever he wants and doesn't "need" to go to anything voluntary.  I just think if it actually DID go without saying, it would have been a better look.

2 hours ago, Gugny said:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/26912495/brady-tom-terrific-hoped-halt-use

The article is about the nickname "controversy," but my biggest takeaway was Brady's comments about missing voluntary workouts.

"I have a family at home, and they get some of my time and energy," Brady said. "My wife is a very ambitious woman, and she travels a lot, so I'm just trying to divide some responsibility at home. She supports me a lot. My family supports me a lot. My kids aren't getting any younger. So just trying to spend the time with them when I can and still get the other things done that I need to get done, and be ready to go when it's time to go."

A couple ways to think about this:

1.  He's earned it.  He obviously doesn't NEED to go to these things.

2.  It's kind of a slap in the face to other players with families.

Translation:. I'm scared of Ed Oliver.  I quit.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Johnnycage46 said:

This actually makes me like him more (can't believe I am saying that).  Other players could learn something from him regarding being a "present" father.

More than zero wasn't a high bar, but me too.

1 minute ago, 4merper4mer said:

Translation:. I'm scared of Ed Oliver.  I quit.

Maybe if Ed Oliver didn't fall off of a horse and destroy his shoulder.

2 hours ago, Gugny said:

Yeah? I don't see it.

1 hour ago, YodaMan79 said:

He's also 41.  Most players in the league have been done for 10+ years at his age.  His family is at a different stage than a majority of his peers.  He's earned the right to have these choices.  I'm sure BB has no issue with it either.  We all know he'll be ready when it counts.  

Oh, I bet Belichick has an issue with it. Too smart to make it public but the first time in camp when Brady misses a throw you can bet Belichick will be saying, "Hey, is that Tommy Terrific out there? Pretty terrific there, Tom. I can see how you felt you didn't need OTAs what with how terrific you are."

The issue is not just with Tom Turkey taking time. Supposedly WRs, etc should be in camp to get in sync with QBs but how can they?  Will they all go to Tom's house and take turns watching kids while others get in sync?  If you want to make an excuse for Tom to be out then you cannot condemn the other players for missing camp on offense.