Brady On Skipping Voluntary Workouts: "I have a family; kids aren't getting any younger"

Gugny

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/26912495/brady-tom-terrific-hoped-halt-use

The article is about the nickname "controversy," but my biggest takeaway was Brady's comments about missing voluntary workouts.

"I have a family at home, and they get some of my time and energy," Brady said. "My wife is a very ambitious woman, and she travels a lot, so I'm just trying to divide some responsibility at home. She supports me a lot. My family supports me a lot. My kids aren't getting any younger. So just trying to spend the time with them when I can and still get the other things done that I need to get done, and be ready to go when it's time to go."

A couple ways to think about this:

1.  He's earned it.  He obviously doesn't NEED to go to these things.

2.  It's kind of a slap in the face to other players with families.

I'm not one to criticize Brady a hell of a lot.  In this one, however, I do think he comes across like a douche.

2 minutes ago, Gugny said:

The article is about the nickname "controversy," but my biggest takeaway was Brady's comments about missing voluntary workouts.

"I have a family at home, and they get some of my time and energy," Brady said. "My wife is a very ambitious woman, and she travels a lot, so I'm just trying to divide some responsibility at home. She supports me a lot. My family supports me a lot. My kids aren't getting any younger. So just trying to spend the time with them when I can and still get the other things done that I need to get done, and be ready to go when it's time to go."

I'm not one to criticize Brady a hell of a lot.  In this one, however, I do think he comes across like a douche.

This actually makes me like him more (can't believe I am saying that).  Other players could learn something from him regarding being a "present" father.

• Like (+1) 13

Good for him. If anybody can skip a voluntary minicamp it's him. I seriously doubt in 20 years when he looks back he will be saying "Man, I really with I had gone to that minicamp I missed."

Edited by vincec
  • Like (+1) 5

54 minutes ago, Gugny said:

He could simply have said that he has reviewed the situation with the team and is acting consistent with what was communicated.

• Like (+1) 1

I don't have a problem with what Brady said or him skipping voluntary workouts.  He doesn't need to be there.  If teams want ALL players there, then take the 'voluntary' out of it.

He's also 41.  Most players in the league have been done for 10+ years at his age.  His family is at a different stage than a majority of his peers.  He's earned the right to have these choices.  I'm sure BB has no issue with it either.  We all know he'll be ready when it counts.  

Edited by YodaMan79
  • Like (+1) 1