Tre'Davious White named third-best corner in NFL

1 minute ago, K-9 said:

I had little problem with his coverage effort and I can appreciate not getting safety help when it was supposed to be there. Some fans can't distinguish certain responsibilities in certain coverage schemes and so they often blame the last defender closest to the receiver, but I'm not one of them. The play where he was pointing fingers while the receiver that ran past him and was still running towards the endzone was clearly not his fault. So, while I understand his frustration, how he chose to display it was classless.

The lack of effort I'm talking about is shying away from contact and giving up easy yards as a result. He was all about avoiding injury in his contract year. Especially earlier in the season. That contributed to some friction in the room, too, as I understand it. 

Anyway, as a new coach coming in and reviewing the tape, I can understand why McDermott formed the opinions he did. If my sole impression of Gilmore was his '16 game tape, I'd have serious questions, too. When a player that good doesn't always show full effort, it's glaring. 

So I still disagree with the effort comments. I certainly didn't see anything on the tape to suggest he was trying any less hard than anyone else. He was just the one calling out others mistakes. I don't think that was classless. I think he was trying to lead because there were precious few others doing it... certainly not the Ryan brothers. 

As for the opinions McDermott formed... I think he thought "I am not going to pay top dollar to a corner who excels in man rather than zone, therefore isn't an ideal scheme fit, at the point I am undertaking a rebuild." I think that is a perfectly logical decision. And while I always said Gilmore was better than the internet Bills fan consensus, I understood the decision in isolation to let him walk. 

On 6/7/2019 at 6:33 AM, eball said:

Tre will be one of the first test cases of Beane's stated "sign your own" philosophy.

Yep

to me this is a big deal.
White has done everything right as far as we know. And wow can he play. even appears he likes tackling.

Hope he is getting extension ( paid ) for his fine work defending Our Dirt / snow/ turf etc

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't think he did fail to give his best. You do. I don't. I think it looked like he was because things that were not on him were perceived to be. 

No i do as well. I watched to much of him. He played corner like an over the top Safety waay too much. even when he has safetie behind him.
smart player. good player. But he absolutely made choices to roll plays for some one else to finish.

and he peed himself when he had no choice to make the tackle. He always was looking to where his " help " was.

and yes i still loathe him.

16 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

No i do as well. I watched to much of him. He played corner like an over the top Safety waay too much. even when he has safetie behind him.
smart player. good player. But he absolutely made choices to roll plays for some one else to finish.

and he peed himself when he had no choice to make the tackle. He always was looking to where his " help " was.

and yes i still loathe him.

Fine I will add you to my "wrong about Gilmore list". Don't worry, you are in good company. There is lots of Stadium Wallers on there. 

On 6/7/2019 at 3:18 PM, GoBills808 said:

Probably the right spot but Slay not Gilmore lol...Gilmore is good but not top 3. Below average in run support from day 1.

Thats not true 

he was an excellent run defender until he ran full speed into eddie lacy and both got knocked out of a game.. that’s a 250 pound man in a violent collision. That was year 3 I believe 

and he was never as physical again... but he still ain’t no slouch. 100% unbiased Tre is not more physical than Gilmore through 2 years . Gilmores game is all about physicality. Every corner has some “soft” moments especially when hurt 

we would be 10x better with Gilmore and White and when we left I called him a future all pro Because he was really good when here. He played cover 0 and 1 more than any corner while here and more than held his own. Tre plays cover 3 majority 

and I love both. But it’s a crock to say Gilmore was never physical. He played with a club at corner and people say he’s soft

he was phenomenal and I wish he wasn’t a patriot. He was a massive hit of a draft pick and we let him walk

Edited by Buffalo716

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

Thats not true 

he was an excellent run defender until he ran full speed into eddie lacy and both got knocked out of a game.. that’s a 250 pound man in a violent collision. That was year 3 I believe 

and he was never as physical again... but he still ain’t no slouch. 100% unbiased Tre is not more physical than Gilmore through 2 years . Gilmores game is all about physicality. Every corner has some “soft” moments especially when hurt 

we would be 10x better with Gilmore and White and when we left I called him a future all pro Because he was really good when here. He played cover 0 and 1 more than any corner while here and more than held his own. Tre plays cover 3 majority 

and I love both. But it’s a crock to say Gilmore was never physical. He played with a club at corner and people say he’s soft

he was phenomenal and I wish he wasn’t a patriot. He was a massive hit of a draft pick and we let him walk

I don't worry about White tackling in the open field, and I couldn't say I felt that way about Gilmore. He used his length in coverage well, but he wasn't a great tackler (could be the Lacy incident, I honestly don't remember), couldn't shed blocks, and his technique was weird. 

He was a fine corner. I wouldn't call him phenomenal then or now, but I liked him a lot when he was a Bill.

On 6/8/2019 at 5:59 PM, GunnerBill said:

You do realise that most of those plays in Rex's last year where Gilmore was pointing at the safeties was because the safeties were actually terrible. Rex's last year our safety play was the worst in the NFL. 

For sure...but the on-field blame-displays DURING said plays is just really poor football character.

I effing hate working with ego cases like that (in admittedly different circumstances).  

White reminds me a lot of Winfield and I wish (I know former Bill) they could get him as a offense assistant during camp.  I know he talked about him getting into coaching at appearance at Vikings stadium but cannot get video to work.

https://www.vikings.com/video/antoine-winfield-returns-to-minnesota-makes-first-visit-to-u-s-bank-stadium

He really liked to tackle.

12 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Fine I will add you to my "wrong about Gilmore list". Don't worry, you are in good company. There is lots of Stadium Wallers on there. 

lol 

thank you GunnerBill !

• Haha (+1) 1