Eagles sign Carson Wentz to 4 year, 128 mill extension

4 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....and crazy money is about to get crazier........for this guy?..........

Cowboys Rumors: Dak Prescott's Reps Have 'Broached' Contract Worth $34M Per Year

Megan Armstrong   June 13, 2019

Dak Prescott and his representatives are fresh on the trail of Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Carson Wentz's four-year, $128 million contract.

"While that deal could impact the Prescott negotiations with the Cowboys, as the team is analyzing all 60 pages of Wentz new contract, per source, know that Todd France and CAA have broached a deal in the range of $34 million annually, according to someone with knowledge of the talks," wrote Clarence E. Hill Jr. of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2840985-cowboys-rumors-dak-prescotts-reps-have-broached-contract-worth-34m-per-year

Prescott is a really good qb. https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/P/PresDa01.htm

2 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

The quarterback market could get very interesting in today’s NFL. That position has more value than anytime in the history of the league. Teams are looking for elite, as opposed to just very good. Titles are won in the modern NFL by elite QB’s. 

I question giving big money to a guy like Dak. I agree that he is a good QB, but can he ever be elite in the same category as guys like Brees, Brady, or Rodgers? In past era’s Dak is a guy you resign in a heartbeat. Now you need to ask yourself if Dak is someone who can win the Lombardi.  I’m not convinced the answer to that question is yes. I’m also not certain he can go head-to-head with elite QB’s, and come out on top. That fact alone would make it very difficult for me as a GM to sign him to a big long term deal. Going forward it will be interesting to see if GM’s will start to agree with that sort of logic. I have no issue with the Wentz deal though. It’s simply not as difficult to envision Wentz becoming a true elite QB if he can stay healthy. 

Edited by SirAndrew

10 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

The quarterback market could get very interesting in today’s NFL. That position has more value than anytime in the history of the league. Teams are looking for elite, as opposed to just very good. Titles are won in the modern NFL by elite QB’s. 

I question giving big money to a guy like Dak. I agree that he is a good QB, but can he ever be elite in the same category as guys like Brees, Brady, or Rodgers? In past era’s Dak is a guy you resign in a heartbeat. Now you need to ask yourself if Dak is someone who can win the Lombardi.  I’m not convinced the answer to that question is yes. I’m also not certain he can go head-to-head with elite QB’s, and come out on top. That fact alone would make it very difficult for me as a GM to sign him to a big long term deal. Going forward it will be interesting to see if GM’s will start to agree with that sort of logic. I have no issue with the Wentz deal though. It’s simply not as difficult to envision Wentz becoming a true elite QB if he can stay healthy. 

...but would you say they are woefully overpaying for very good versus elite?...........

13 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

Elite Nick Foles & Joe Flaco? ?

1 hour ago, Nester said:

Elite Nick Foles & Joe Flaco? ?

There will always be outliers, but I would never build a team by heavily investing in a mediocre QB. Mediocre QB’s used to win titles far more frequently than they do these days. 

2 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...but would you say they are woefully overpaying for very good versus elite?...........

Yes, I think NFL teams have overpaid a few guys who were very good vs actually being elite. Guys like Derek Carr and Kirk Cousins come to mind. With that said, the majority of the best paid NFL QB’s are elite. I just see the trend of contract demands becoming greater every season, and QB’s are leading the charge. When I see the rumors of what Dak wants, it’d make me reconsider how I view the QB position if I were a GM. I’d never be afraid to let an average QB who I don’t believe will ever be elite test the free agent market. I’d rather draft someone with that potential, as opposed to overpaying for years of mediocrity. 

Edited by SirAndrew
  • Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

Yes, I think NFL teams have overpaid a few guys who were very good vs actually being elite. Guys like Derek Carr and Kirk Cousins come to mind. With that said, the majority of the best paid NFL QB’s are elite. I just see the trend of contract demands becoming greater every season, and QB’s are leading the charge. When I see the rumors of what Dak wants, it’d make me reconsider how I view the QB position if I were a GM. I’d never be afraid to let an average QB who I don’t believe will ever be elite test the free agent market. I’d rather draft someone with that potential, as opposed to overpaying for years of mediocrity. 

...and look at some of the clowns drafted in the 1st over the last decade out of desperation that would NOT even have been UDFA's yesteryear......sad state of affairs for the QB spot IMO.....

1 hour ago, SirAndrew said:

The definition of the 2 is what teams/fans have trouble deciding.  For me Elite cannot be defined by comparing a QB (or any other player for that matter) to the

other QBs playing that year, but instead how their play is over multiple years.  Quarterbacks like Brady, Montana and Peyton Manning are Elite. 

QBs like Rogers, Big Ben, Brees are very good (franchise) QBs that have had some "elite" seasons.

Then you got a lot of average QBs that have had some "franchise" seasons.

The pay scale seems to be paying too many "average" QBs too high of $s hoping they become elite.  Which in a way is 2 steps above what is reasonable.

I don't condemn GMs/HCs for doing this because a QB is so important to the success of a team.

The more $s that chase QBs the more important the QB role becomes.

I'm not saying this is right or wrong I'm just giving my observation.

29 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...and look at some of the clowns drafted in the 1st over the last decade out of desperation that would NOT even have been UDFA's yesteryear......sad state of affairs for the QB spot IMO.....

Teams are going to keep "chasing that rainbow" looking for that guy.  Imagine if Beane would of signed Kirk Cousins or Alex Smith to the big money.

This board would be a zoo debating the move compared to going to the draft.

It's so hard to get the right thing done and a lot of times it comes down to dumb luck.

Go Bills! 

• Like (+1) 1

I agree, there’s too much desperation when it comes to finding a QB. I’m just not drafting guys like Daniel Jones or Blake Bortles in spots where they go these days, but I can also understand with the position being have so importance in the league today. 

Edited by SirAndrew

The tide seems to be turning though. Goff, Wentz, Mahomes, Watson, Baker and of course Josh Allen, among others... seems like we have a nice crop of young QBs taking over the league. Still some puzzlers -  and there always will be - but compared to the years of Bortles, Manziel, Teddy, Winston, Mariota, it looks like we have some winners again.

• Like (+1) 1