Eagles sign Carson Wentz to 4 year, 128 mill extension

4 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

They pay him now they get him for $26 mill a year. Wait a year and you end up paying him Luck money, assuming he works out. And the consensus is he will. Though you're right there are injury concerns.

Yeah I get why they figured they should pay him now, but if he keeps missing games (he had injury problems in college as well), the savings isn't justified.  I'd let him play out the deal and that savings would off-set what they'd have to pay him in 2021 and beyond, while seeing whether he can actually stay healthy for a whole season.

11 hours ago, hemma said:

would seem to me that the players’ union would want to restrict any max contract to no more than  .... say ....11% of cap, so that the rest would be spread out among the rest of the team.

not sure if I’m a closet communist or just jealous of somebody getting 30 mill for playing a game.

I don't think that doing that would be a great idea, but it does seem that when the union agreed to a rookie scale, the bulk of the money saved went to quarterbacks (and of course whoever Whaley would waste it on).

Not a fan of the risk/reward ratio behind this move.  I get that QB contracts are only going to continue to go up astronomically, but with the value of having talented young passers on rookie contracts, why hamstring yourself with a guy with an injury history.  The downside of waiting another year is probably $15-20M over the life of the contract.  The upside is possibly saving the $70M that you just guaranteed if he gets hurt again or never approaches his level of play due to nagging injuries/pain.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BarleyNY said:

He can have one of mine. 

I really think Philly jumped the gun here.  I am less of a Wentz fan than most, but even putting that aside there was plenty of time to do a deal like this.   It’s not like he gave a big discount.  He was in the last year of his rookie deal and lined up for a season to prove he could stay healthy and show what HE could do in the playoffs.  Now they’re stuck with him regardless of further injury or faltering on the big stage.

Usually I’d say that this was a move by a GM who had his wagon hitched to this QB and would be out anyway if that QB failed.  But that’s not even the case here.  It’s odd.   

The Eagles were in a bit of a pickle.  They let Foles -- a bonified Philly legend now -- walk away for nothing, and they have a fan base who really likes Wentz but are also uneasy.  They needed to send a message to Wentz, the fan base, and the team that Carson is "their guy."  I think they needed to do this even though it is admittedly a risk.

14 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

As much as I believe Wentz is the real deal and will bounce back from injury, this seems premature. What risk did they run by simply putting it off for another year? I'd rather pay a few more mil per after a healthy season than make this kind of investment NOW.

I'm with you on this. I'll be honest: it's fun watching him play in the local Philly games I can watch. When he was clicking in 2017, and even in 2016 he was exciting to watch, and he could do some unbelievable things with the ball.

That said, he has had season ending injuries in the playoffs in back to back years, and has never taken a postseason snap. Things clearly weren't clicking as well in 2018 as they were in 2017.

I would pony up the cash if we had him, but they had two more years to hold onto him. I honestly didn't see the issue with seeing how he did this year before throwing cash at him. The Eagles are looking to win *now*

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

As much as I believe Wentz is the real deal and will bounce back from injury, this seems premature. What risk did they run by simply putting it off for another year? I'd rather pay a few more mil per after a healthy season than make this kind of investment NOW.

Absolutely. 

2 hours ago, eball said:

The Eagles were in a bit of a pickle.  They let Foles -- a bonified Philly legend now -- walk away for nothing, and they have a fan base who really likes Wentz but are also uneasy.  They needed to send a message to Wentz, the fan base, and the team that Carson is "their guy."  I think they needed to do this even though it is admittedly a risk.

I can see that angle, but I don’t think the added risk of doing the deal a year ahead of time was worth it.  It’s probable that the contract isn’t quite as guaranteed as initial reports though.  I should really wait and see that before making a final judgement on it all. 

This is just insane to me.  I admit freely, the guy looked like a top 5 QB before he got hurt the first time.  But who knows if he’ll ever be back to that form or if that play was an anomaly.  

I get it. Someone would have paid him on the open market. 

But man, that’s a lot of money for a very small body of work and potential 

32 minutes ago, Virgil said:

This is just insane to me.  I admit freely, the guy looked like a top 5 QB before he got hurt the first time.  But who knows if he’ll ever be back to that form or if that play was an anomaly.  

I get it. Someone would have paid him on the open market. 

But man, that’s a lot of money for a very small body of work and potential 

That is how I see it as well.  That is a lot of money for someone with a small resume and may be injury prone.

The Eagles will regret this contract.  He's a slightly above average quarterback.  He injures often and he only throws the ball to Zach Ertz.  That's why Ertz has like 500 catches per year with Wentz around.   I guess they are paying for potential.  

Philadelphia loves him but IMO, the inconvenient truth is that Nick Foles is/was the better quarterback for Doug Pederson's offense.  

14 hours ago, KD in CA said:

Are they serious?!?   More than Montana for a guy that has proven NOTHING!!  He was hurt constantly at Miami then played minor league pinball for a couple years because he knew he couldn't handle the big leagues.

Wilson is senile.  They will rue the day they threw all this money at Kelly in desperation.  Mark my words!

Yeah, I bet he never wins a superbowl!

Same old Bills!

6 hours ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

Brady is getting paid under the table and the Patriots are circumventing the salary cap. I'm 100% sure this is happing and it will be the cherry on top of their decade of cheating when it comes out. 

So what your saying is that tha Pats are paying Brady under the table and the Nfl is aware of it?

1 hour ago, dpberr said:

The Eagles will regret this contract.  He's a slightly above average quarterback.  He injures often and he only throws the ball to Zach Ertz.  That's why Ertz has like 500 catches per year with Wentz around.   I guess they are paying for potential.  

Philadelphia loves him but IMO, the inconvenient truth is that Nick Foles is/was the better quarterback for Doug Pederson's offense.  

Wentz was the MVP of the NFL in 2017 before he got injured.

I don't know if I would call him slightly above average if he stays on the field.

• Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Chris66 said:

So what your saying is that tha Pats are paying Brady under the table and the Nfl is aware of it?

I’m not sure if the NFL is aware of it or not. When the top 10 QB’s are making over 30+ mil and then you have Tom Terrific making in the low 20’s it should raise some flags. You also have the Patriots paying him who knows how much through his TB12 business. Red flags ? all over the place. 

30 minutes ago, Chris66 said:

Kraft, not the Pats.

You were probably thinking the mouth kisses were sufficient incentive,  but it is generally assumed they are just a peculiar form of gratuity.

• Haha (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

I’m not sure if the NFL is aware of it or not. When the top 10 QB’s are making over 30+ mil and then you have Tom Terrific making in the low 20’s it should raise some flags. You also have the Patriots paying him who knows how much through his TB12 business. Red flags ? all over the place. 

I believe over the last 4 years they have given him about 60 million on top of his salary.  his cap hit is about 25 mil for this year.

Im sure the nfl is quite aware of his business.  I would bet they have already looked into that.

19 hours ago, TheBeaneBandit said:

Wow. Kinda unworthy of that contract imo. Dudes played what, a year and 3/4 of ball????

That's a lot more playing time than Jimmy Garoppolo, and look at the contract he got.

Still, it is a curious move by the Eagles. I understand you want to lock up your franchise, but they could have waited one more year.