Eagles sign Carson Wentz to 4 year, 128 mill extension

2 hours ago, Augie said:

But takes the Brady approach and settles for a fraction of what he’s worth in the pursuit of rings! 

Hey, a guy can hope! 

Ok, find Josh a wife who earns $50m a year, stat!

1 hour ago, Doc Brown said:

Bills Make Kelly NFL's Highest-Paid Player

Jim Kelly, record-setting passer in the United States Football League, became the highest-paid player in the National Football League Monday.

The Buffalo Bills signed Kelly to a five-year contract that, according to Kelly's agents, is worth between $7.5 million and $8 million. The salary, about $1.5 million a year, is at least $200,000 more than quarterback Joe Montana's annual pay with the San Francisco 49ers.

Are they serious?!?   More than Montana for a guy that has proven NOTHING!!  He was hurt constantly at Miami then played minor league pinball for a couple years because he knew he couldn't handle the big leagues.

Wilson is senile.  They will rue the day they threw all this money at Kelly in desperation.  Mark my words!

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

Are they serious?!?   More than Montana for a guy that has proven NOTHING!!  He was hurt constantly at Miami then played minor league pinball for a couple years because he knew he couldn't handle the big leagues.

Wilson is senile.  They will rue the day they threw all this money at Kelly in desperation.  Mark my words!

I’m with ya. 1.15M I could’ve still stomached, but this, this just ain’t right—1.5M to play a game???:thumbsup:

7 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Ah, got it.

When people give the figure as "an extension worth ..." it's almost always a total ego massage, because they'll be getting four extra years, but the money won't only be going in those four years. It's a fake metric. The total contract, including the extension is the real way to look at it.

The extension is for 2021, 2022, 2023 and 2024, yet he'll be receiving a huge portion of that money as a signing bonus today, in 2019. "An extension worth $X per year," is spin delivered at centrifuge speed.

Six years for $154M. Good deal for both sides, IMO. Wentz will lose a few mill total this way, but will be getting his signing bonus a year early, which make him safer in case of career-ending injury.

Good deal for Philly too. Less than $26 mill a year for Wentz.

6 hours ago, Doc said:

Why the urgency to pay him now?  The guy has missed significant portions of the past 2 seasons and had a 2nd overall pick rookie contract.  Dumb. 

They pay him now they get him for $26 mill a year. Wait a year and you end up paying him Luck money, assuming he works out. And the consensus is he will. Though you're right there are injury concerns.

Edited by Thurman#1

9 minutes ago, ALLEN1QB said:

Anybody know what Jim Kelly's highest-paid contract was?

....courtesy of SPOTRAC.......

Year

Team Salary Signing Bonus Roster Bonus Workout Bonus Restructure Bonus Option Bonus Incentive Total Cash
1986 Player Cash Earnings $1,000,000 $2,000,000 - - - - - $3,000,000
1987 Player Cash Earnings $1,100,000 - - - - - - $1,100,000
1988 Player Cash Earnings $1,200,000 - - - - - - $1,200,000
1989 Player Cash Earnings $1,300,000 - - - - - - $1,300,000
1990 Player Cash Earnings $1,400,000 $3,000,000 - $100,000 - - - $4,500,000
1991 Player Cash Earnings $2,250,000 - - $100,000 - - - $2,350,000
1992 Player Cash Earnings $2,400,000 - - $100,000 - - - $2,500,000
1993 Player Cash Earnings $4,000,000 - - $100,000 - - - $4,100,000
1994 Player Cash Earnings $2,800,000 - - $100,000 - - - $2,900,000
1995 Player Cash Earnings $1,570,000 - - $100,000 $1,180,000 - - $2,850,000
1996 Player Cash Earnings $2,750,000 - - $165,000 - - - $2,915,000
11 seasons $21,770,000 $5,000,000 - $765,000 $1,180,000 - - $28,715,000
Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

11 hours ago, Augie said:

But takes the Brady approach and settles for a fraction of what he’s worth in the pursuit of rings! 

Hey, a guy can hope! 

Brady is getting paid under the table and the Patriots are circumventing the salary cap. I'm 100% sure this is happing and it will be the cherry on top of their decade of cheating when it comes out. 

• Like (+1) 2

11 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think I’d wait at least one more year given his injury history. 

I will not judge too much right now because you have a CBA deal coming up and if the owners feel like the overall salary cap and players percentages are going to go up - getting the deal done now before the CBA could save them huge money in a year or two.  

We also do not know what is going to become of things like the franchise tag or if there is a strike/lockout that costs the players/owners part of the year and they lose a lot of valuable contract time or even a contract year if the walk out/strike  happens after game 1.

The smart money was to get ahead of any of the potential CBA issues and get a deal done in today’s dollars and protect yourself and the team from any potential issues.

We will see long term if it was the smartest move or not based on his play.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, eball said:

We need to find Josh a supermodel to marry so he isn't worried about his contract.  Any ideas?

He can have one of mine. 

I really think Philly jumped the gun here.  I am less of a Wentz fan than most, but even putting that aside there was plenty of time to do a deal like this.   It’s not like he gave a big discount.  He was in the last year of his rookie deal and lined up for a season to prove he could stay healthy and show what HE could do in the playoffs.  Now they’re stuck with him regardless of further injury or faltering on the big stage.

Usually I’d say that this was a move by a GM who had his wagon hitched to this QB and would be out anyway if that QB failed.  But that’s not even the case here.  It’s odd.