Eagles sign Carson Wentz to 4 year, 128 mill extension

As much as I believe Wentz is the real deal and will bounce back from injury, this seems premature. What risk did they run by simply putting it off for another year? I'd rather pay a few more mil per after a healthy season than make this kind of investment NOW.

• Like (+1) 12

2 minutes ago, Ol Dirty B said:

I hope Allen develops to be worthy of the 150 he is going to get 

The real problem is, what if he doesn’t? Even if he turns into an above average QB that is the money he will command. Then you have two bad options. Let him walk and try to find another QB or overpay for an above average one. As us Bills fans know, finding even average QB play is tough. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

As much as I believe Wentz is the real deal and will bounce back from injury, this seems premature. What risk did they run by simply putting it off for another year? I'd rather pay a few more mil per after a healthy season than make this kind of investment NOW.

Don't forget that the Eagles have seen him workout in OTAs and minicamp so they know more than you and I. They've had their hands all over him I'm sure.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I'm so confused about this contract. Why are they doing this now?

The qb scale goes up every year at a high rate. So it is better to do it sooner rather than later. Kirk Cousins broke the bank vault by playing on one year deals that were escalating at a high rate each year. So if you are confident in your franchise qb then you might as well secure him as soon as you can. 

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, NewDayBills said:

Don't forget that the Eagles have seen him workout in OTAs and minicamp so they know more than you and I. They've had their hands all over him I'm sure.

I'm a big time Wentz believer. My only point is that it would seem to make sense in this situation to wait it out. I assume he's got through 2019-20 as well as a team option for 2020-21.

The counter is that the contract he'd receiver after 2 healthy, productive seasons would be more expensive and more importantly, include more years. 

They're betting on Wentz staying healthy. If he's fully healthy, he'll be one of the best QB's in the NFL. They've been a smart organization for several years, so I'm not gonna go out of my way second guessing their strategy. Still, I'd have waited.

13 minutes ago, Bills2ref said:

The real problem is, what if he doesn’t? Even if he turns into an above average QB that is the money he will command. Then you have two bad options. Let him walk and try to find another QB or overpay for an above average one. As us Bills fans know, finding even average QB play is tough. 

It's a tough decision. If there is a doubt I hope they plan for it over the next few years.

Miami has wasted like 10 years because of Tannehill. If he's on the border of a franchise QB like him I hope they draft some and just cut ties if the new contract is costly.

Hopefully that debate never has to come along.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

Wentz's problem isn't surviving OTA's and minicamp.....

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Mr. WEO said:

Lot's of cash for a guy they have had to bring in a stunt-d**k for the money shot the past two seasons.

LOL...Eagles.

You’re just a super critical dude. 

The Eagles have been one of the best teams at team building the past 3 years and really haven’t made any “bad” decisions. I think they get the benefit of the doubt on this one, even if it’s hard to see the wisdom right now.

• Like (+1) 3

22 minutes ago, Ol Dirty B said:

I hope Allen develops to be worthy of the 150 he is going to get 

But takes the Brady approach and settles for a fraction of what he’s worth in the pursuit of rings! 

Hey, a guy can hope! 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1