TBN interview with OL Coach Bobby Johnson

Bobby Johnson finally gets O-line coaching shot in 'unique environment' with Bills

https://buffalonews.com/2019/06/06/bobby-johnson-finally-gets-o-line-coaching-shot-in-unique-environment-with-bills/

The Bills tapped Johnson to serve as foreman of the reconstruction project largely due to the success he had while involved in a similar situation last year as assistant offensive line coach of the Indianapolis Colts. The Colts' line had been a disaster before Johnson, who had spent the previous three seasons as tight ends coach for the Oakland Raiders, and offensive line coach David Guglielmo arrived in 2018. After inserting three new starters – rookie guard Quinton Nelson, rookie tackle Braden Smith and veteran guard Matt Slauson – who after suffering a season-ending  injury was replaced by Matt Glowinski, claimed off waivers from the Seattle Seahawks in 2017 – the unit improved dramatically.

“There couldn’t have been a better situation than last year in Indy to prepare me for this," said Johnson, who also was a tight ends coach for the Jacksonville Jaguars and tight ends coach/assistant offensive line coach for the Detroit Lions. "They went from arguably one of the worst to arguably the best in the span of a year. And they did it with two rookies and a guy they got off the waiver wire.

"So it’s not like it was like some miracle. It wasn’t like it was some magic potion. It wasn’t like they went out and got the second coming of John Hannah and Jonathan Ogden. They got two kids in the draft that because of the environment, because of the culture, because of the coaching, because of the type of kids they chose, because the order in which they put those guys, it worked.”

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

I’ve heard good things from beat reporters about his style and the intensity at OL in practice.  Hopefully it translates to tha field

He beats up kids who sit in his beach chairs??

35 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

We had this OL coach named Aaron Kromer. Probably the best OL coach we've had in my lifetime. He had an.....incident. It was a pretty big deal.

...Mouse wasn't too bad, right?...the "Master Tinkerer"............

• Haha (+1) 1

https://buffalonews.com/2019/04/27/cody-ford-buffalo-bills-nfl-draft-oklahoma-bill-bedenbaugh-right-tackle/

Cody Ford’s first impression of the Buffalo Bills before the NFL Draft was a great one, and the feeling was mutual.

The University of Oklahoma tackle said his meetings with Bills offensive line coach Bobby Johnson made him hope Buffalo would be his NFL destination, a feeling he expressed to a reporter in Norman, Okla., last week.

“I told him I really want to go to Buffalo,” Ford said of the reporter. “He said nobody wants to go to Buffalo. I was like, me and the O-line coach really hit it off.”

“We had multiple meetings between the combine and pro day,” Ford said. “It was just great interaction with him, and I could just see this program was headed in the right direction.”

• Like (+1) 4