Are Tariffs The Right Way To Force Mexico To Help?

3 minutes ago, Gary M said:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/video/downtime/mexico-sends-troops-to-its-southern-border/vp-AACx6d9

"Thousands of troops will be sent to Mexico's border in hopes of stemming the flow of migrants heading for the US. ABC News' Serena Marshall reports. "

Hmm

And this...

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-mexico-immigration-finmin-idUSKCN1T72LC

The answer is they’re essentially the ONLY tool the President has left in his tool box. He’s tried everything else and has faced opposition from both sides of the swamp. Unless you want him to throw in the towel like every one of his predecessors...you got a better idea?

Hey Mexico, for every person you allow to cross into this country, we're going to destroy our economy a little more. It's amazing that so many people don't know what tariffs do or how they work. If I were Mexico, I'd send every person I had.

11 hours ago, 3rdnlng said:

We must ask ourselves what our priorities are. Surely having illegal immigrants flood our borders needs to be an important priority to stop.

Is it though? How do you determine "important" In the realm of "must have" "should have" "nice to have", I think it belongs in the "Should have" category. We have plenty of our own major problems to deal with. Folks aren't coming here to be homeless, they're coming here to work for people like Trump.

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Is it though? How do you determine "important" In the realm of "must have" "should have" "nice to have", I think it belongs in the "Should have" category. We have plenty of our own major problems to deal with. Folks aren't coming here to be homeless, they're coming here to work for people like Trump.

Well in the good old days, Mexican guys used to border jump to get a job, crank out some cash and mail it home to the family in Mexico.  One guy who cost society little or nothing and created productivity with his labor.

Now, they just bring the whole family.  So one to work but six to feed, cloth, educate, etc.  Result is a whole lot of cost to society for the same productivity.   And that math doesn't work.

• Like (+1) 4

Just now, KD in CA said:

Well in the good old days, Mexican guys used to border jump to get a job, crank out some cash and mail it home to the family in Mexico.  One guy who cost society little or nothing and created productivity with his labor.

Now, they just bring the whole family.  So one to work but six to feed, cloth, educate, etc.  Result is a whole lot of cost to society for the same productivity.   And that math doesn't work.

Do you have the numbers?

2 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

Hey Mexico, for every person you allow to cross into this country, we're going to destroy our economy a little more. It's amazing that so many people don't know what tariffs do or how they work. If I were Mexico, I'd send every person I had.

So, in other words you are for open borders and no respect for our sovereignty? If so, that is idiotic.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, GG said:

But that's not the question you asked in starting this thread.

Ah, but you didn't read my whole OP then. If I had a hammer I'd use that to repair my boat, but since I have no hammer I'm going to substitute for the hammer with a pipe wrench. I might bend some nails along the way but I need to fix the boat. It's that important.

3 minutes ago, McGee Return TD said:

You sound like you read DRs opinion on the matter and spit out your own regurgitated version.

I'll debate/discuss with anyone here who has something to actually say. You've got nothing. ***** off.

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

Do you have the numbers?

https://cis.org/Report/Costs-Immigration

FTA:

GOIRA estimated there were 550,000 illegal aliens in Texas in 1992. They paid $290 million in state and local taxes and generated state and local service and assistance costs of $456 million, for a deficit of $166 million. Applying the lower estimate of the Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) of 350,000 illegal aliens in Texas, GOlRA estimated total costs and revenues at $313 million and $183 million respectively, for a deficit of $130 million.

Edited by Gary M

14 minutes ago, Gary M said:

FTA:

GOIRA estimated there were 550,000 illegal aliens in Texas in 1992. They paid $290 million in state and local taxes and generated state and local service and assistance costs of $456 million, for a deficit of $166 million. Applying the lower estimate of the Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) of 350,000 illegal aliens in Texas, GOlRA estimated total costs and revenues at $313 million and $183 million respectively, for a deficit of $130 million.

You should read the rest of the article. It's interesting. Especially when compared against data that's 25 years more recent.

52 minutes ago, njbuff said:

Mexico to deploy 6,000 troops to their southern border.

I guess they are taking this tariff thing seriously.

So are American employers 

Hiring cooled in May, the Labor Department reported Friday, as firms appeared more hesitant to bring on new employees amid uncertainty over President Trump escalating the trade war.

The U.S. economy added 75,000 jobs in May, a significant pullback from 224,000 jobs added in April that is likely to heighten fears the trade war is taking a greater toll. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2019/06/07/us-economy-added-only-jobs-may-amid-bite-trumps-trade-war/?utm_term=.cff8a58394eb

32 minutes ago, Gary M said:

FTA:

And what about the work they did? How much did it help the economy to have them here producing goods and services? That's part of the equation, too. Everyone can't be a lazy bum sitting around complaining about the government 

6 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2019/05/03/us-economy-added-jobs-april-unemployment-fell-percent-lowest-since/?utm_term=.2ea557fde12b

"The U.S. economy added 263,000 jobs in April, notching a record 103 straight months of job gains and signaling the current economic expansion shows little sign of stalling."

I think we can handle a pause in the hiring while we secure our boarder and end the illegal immigration crisis.

17 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

... And what about the work they did? How much did it help the economy to have them here producing goods and services? That's part of the equation, too. Everyone can't be a lazy bum sitting around complaining about the government 

wha??

:lol:

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Gary M said:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2019/05/03/us-economy-added-jobs-april-unemployment-fell-percent-lowest-since/?utm_term=.2ea557fde12b

"The U.S. economy added 263,000 jobs in April, notching a record 103 straight months of job gains and signaling the current economic expansion shows little sign of stalling."

I think we can handle a pause in the hiring while we secure our boarder and end the illegal immigration crisis.

Sure, it's ok for the idiot to start screwing with the economy? 

23 minutes ago, Foxx said:

wha??

:lol:

?

53 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Sure, it's ok for the idiot to start screwing with the economy? 

Good point. Why mess with the good work he's done for the economy so far.  It's up nearly 5% this week alone.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Tiberius said:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2019/06/07/us-economy-added-only-jobs-may-amid-bite-trumps-trade-war/?utm_term=.cff8a58394eb

And what about the work they did? How much did it help the economy to have them here producing goods and services? That's part of the equation, too. Everyone can't be a lazy bum sitting around complaining about the government 

So, a week ago Trump threatens tariffs if Mexico doesn't control the armies of migrants coming to our southern border and job numbers were down in May because of it? Do Have you ever,  just once in your life thought things through before posting something here?

• Haha (+1) 1