How competitive are you?

37 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

I used to be a lot more competitive than I am now. I'm ashamed at the number of golf clubs I've broken or thrown into the water.

And that's just golf. Get me in front of a Risk board.

Risk brings out the primal being in me.

41 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

I used to be a lot more competitive than I am now. I'm ashamed at the number of golf clubs I've broken or thrown into the water.

And that's just golf. Get me in front of a Risk board.

Kamchatka. Strategic land or waste of time?

6 hours ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

A ) Retired
B ) Every answer I posted here was dirty. I'll pass and say I like men. ? 
C ) I am not a sportsman. I played league softball when younger, and that was it. Games? Now there I can be cutthroat, especially pinochle (because I count cards).

A is the best 

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, bdutton said:

I am very competitive in precision shooting sports. Pistol and rifle... Olympic style and buckeye pistol too. 

Are you trying to intimidate us? 

Because it just might be working.......

?

On 6/6/2019 at 8:08 PM, The Jerk said:

Go hard or go home, ya dig?

I used to be ultra competitive but got soft as the years passed.

I once came in first and third place in a jerking off contest. Nobody could beat me.

Ya dig? :D

• Haha (+1) 1

This sounds kind of sad, even to me, but I’m not as competitive as I once thought I was. Over the years my thing was tennis. I’d rather play well and lose than play poorly and win. I just want to be pleased with how well I play.

There were guys I’d beat over and over for years, even when playing poorly. No great satisfaction there. There were others, including the club 4.0 then 4.5 champ who I had almost beaten (up 5-2 and 4-1 in the same match!) before he took it up a notch. I played great, but he had a mental gear I did not. He just decided to never miss, and that was that....he didn’t miss. Anything! I was not aware at the time that he was the Univ of Florida single season hoops top scorer. Some people just have “it”, that extra something. I was pretty good, but I didn’t have THAT. 

13 minutes ago, Augie said:

This sounds kind of sad, even to me, but I’m not as competitive as I once thought I was. Over the years my thing was tennis. I’d rather play well and lose than play poorly and win. I just want to be pleased with how well I play.

There were guys I’d beat over and over for years, even when playing poorly. No great satisfaction there. There were others, including the club 4.0 then 4.5 champ who I had almost beaten (up 5-2 and 4-1 in the same match!) before he took it up a notch. I played great, but he had a mental gear I did not. He just decided to never miss, and that was that....he didn’t miss. Anything! I was not aware at the time that he was the Univ of Florida single season hoops top scorer. Some people just have “it”, that extra something. I was pretty good, but I didn’t have THAT. 

So do you think the UF guy was more competitive, more talented, luckier? Did you ever give in due to any of these?

To me being competitive means giving it your all until the game is decided. I never lost that. What I did lose over time was talent and the inability to get over a loss - the latter is a sign of maturity not lack of competitiveness IMO.

3 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

So do you think the UF guy was more competitive, more talented, luckier? Did you ever give in due to any of these?

To me being competitive means giving it your all until the game is decided. I never lost that. What I did lose over time was talent and the inability to get over a loss - the latter is a sign of maturity not lack of competitiveness IMO.

Great questions, and I’m honestly not sure about the answers. If I had to guess, I may have stopped attacking, waiting for him to lose it when I should have kept my foot on the gas. But then I got out on him the next set too. The guy was a friggin’ machine that never missed! I suppose the club champ WAS more talented, and the high level athlete WAS more competitive. It wasn’t luck, that I know. 

But to my bigger point, I’d rather play well and lose. I was in a doubles league once and put on a court with a guy who had a full ride to play at UF, his doubles partner when he played in regional tournaments, and a third guy, some stranger. A buddy comes up to me and says “hey, I know you’re probably concerned about Tom and Chris, but it’s the tall guy you need to worry about. He lives down the street and I sat in his family room watching video of him playing Conners and Lendl at the US Open.” YIKES! Sure enough, it was legit! Top 10 doubles player before injury. In 3 sets I got 9 games and never lost my serve.  Losing 6-3 isn’t in any way horrfying. They were very gentlemanly, and it’s NOT a great score, but it was the highlight of my tennis career! I had no business on a court with THOSE guys. Played well, I was happy, win or lose. 

I used to be very competitive but as I have gotten older (40 this year) I find less outlets to compete. Most of my peers use their kids to compete and I can't get into that. I want my children to push themselves and compete for themselves but I don't feel like it's my own accomplishments.

The best way to be competitive as an adult is with your own self. Push your limits in whatever makes you happy and help others improve as well. You will live longer with this approach.

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Augie said:

Great questions, and I’m honestly not sure about the answers. If I had to guess, I may have stopped attacking, waiting for him to lose it when I should have kept my foot on the gas. But then I got out on him the next set too. The guy was a friggin’ machine that never missed! I suppose the club champ WAS more talented, and the high level athlete WAS more competitive. It wasn’t luck, that I know. 

But to my bigger point, I’d rather play well and lose. I was in a doubles league once and put on a court with a guy who had a full ride to play at UF, his doubles partner when he played in regional tournaments, and a third guy, some stranger. A buddy comes up to me and says “hey, I know you’re probably concerned about Tom and Chris, but it’s the tall guy you need to worry about. He lives down the street and I sat in his family room watching video of him playing Conners and Lendl at the US Open.” YIKES! Sure enough, it was legit! Top 10 doubles player before injury. In 3 sets I got 9 games and never lost my serve.  Losing 6-3 isn’t in any way horrfying. They were very gentlemanly, and it’s NOT a great score, but it was the highlight of my tennis career! I had no business on a court with THOSE guys. Played well, I was happy, win or lose. 

Great story. The fact that it was a highlight of your career (I'm assuming you went into the match somewhat intimidated) and you never lost serve speaks to your competitiveness. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

Great story. The fact that it was a highlight of your career (I'm assuming you went into the match somewhat intimidated) and you never lost serve speaks to your competitiveness. 

I had a fairly big serve (nothing like THOSE guys), and a MONSTER at the net cleaning up after me in each set. It was a blast, even with the jitters at the beginning . My first act was to apologize. “Look guys, I’m sorry, but I had a couple good weeks at the start of the league and it pushed me into territory where I have no business. Let’s have fun.”  I’m sure I’m the only one who remembers that evening. It was hardly the US Open. Lol

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Needle said:

I used to be very competitive but as I have gotten older (40 this year) I find less outlets to compete. Most of my peers use their kids to compete and I can't get into that. I want my children to push themselves and compete for themselves but I don't feel like it's my own accomplishments.

The best way to be competitive as an adult is with your own self. Push your limits in whatever makes you happy and help others improve as well. You will live longer with this approach.

Our kids were really good athletes thru HS and AAU, and one could have played a couple sports in college. I had a soccer dad say to me once “it must be nice to know you’ll never have to work when you get older.”  WTF? He’s a 10 year old kid and that was only rec league soccer! He was a HS QB and recruited (glad he passed on that!) and we went to restaurants where people would not let us pay for his food. It got creepy! (HUGE tips instead.)

People would always come up to us with all kinds of praise. I’d ask them “why?” I did nothing. Tell him if you want. Parents want to take to much credit for what goes right, and take too much blame for what goes wrong. I know both sides of that, I promise! 

My wife competes in the business world. Famous quote is “THAT is MY sport!”  Fortunately, she’s pretty darn good at it. That’s why I have so much time to post and annoy you people!   ?