Who Was Better: Bruce Smith or Reggie White

Who Was Better: Reggie White or Bruce Smith?  

259 members have voted

1. 1. Who Was Better: Reggie White or Bruce Smith?

• Bruce Smith
    • Reggie White

Such different players.

Bruce played the game like Von Miller, with speed and quicks, but at 290 lbs.  He had a ballerina's bend.  There will never be another like him.

That said, Reggie was probably more fearsome.  A quick LT (like Richmond Webb) could sometimes neutralize Bruce.  White just lined up and dominated whomever was in front of him, with pure power.  He was a beast.

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

I'm wondering how different the poll results would be on a national scale?

I would think it would be about flip flopped but the average football fan isn't paying attention to schemes and what side of the line a player is lining up on.

3 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

I would think it would be about flip flopped but the average football fan isn't paying attention to schemes and what side of the line a player is lining up on.

I think Reggie would be ahead 60/40.

Because the average football fan sees 198 sacks in 232 games vs just 2 more in an extra 47 games.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Jay_Fixit said:

I think Reggie would be ahead 60/40.

Because the average football fan sees 198 sacks in 232 games vs just 2 more in an extra 47 games.

i'll be honest. i'm not sure which way I would go here. I think bruce would be more revered nationally had he got just one Lombardi... 

I guess might give a slight nod to white, but I don't think lining up over the RT the majority of the time helps his case in the least. Bruce most definitely faced more talented tackles on the left side.

1 minute ago, Stank_Nasty said:

i'll be honest. i'm not sure which way I would go here. I think bruce would be more revered nationally had he got just one Lombardi... 

I guess might give a slight nod to white, but I don't think lining up over the RT the majority of the time helps his case in the least. Bruce most definitely faced more talented tackles on the left side.

It’s a tough call. Because there is nobody I’ve ever seen who was as quick as Bruce was off the line, and his ability to anticipate snap counts was ridiculous.

For pure entertainment, nobody was better to watch than Bruce.

But...

From a pure technician and power standpoint, Reggie was a man amongst boys. 

Not as flashy, but just pure power and domination. 

Using the excuse that Reggie played against RT’s is a cop out because it didn’t matter who tried to block him. He’d make them his B word.

1 minute ago, Jay_Fixit said:

It’s a tough call. Because there is nobody I’ve ever seen who was as quick as Bruce was off the line, and his ability to anticipate snap counts was ridiculous.

For pure entertainment, nobody was better to watch than Bruce.

But...

From a pure technician and power standpoint, Reggie was a man amongst boys. 

Not as flashy, but just pure power and domination. 

Using the excuse that Reggie played against RT’s is a cop out because it didn’t matter who tried to block him. He’d make them his B word.

like I said, I think I give reggie the edge, but is it debatable that he routinely faced lessor talent on the right side of the line? I think its a legitimate knock against somebody when you have two people so good that the debate is gonna involve picking at nits.

definitely what sticks out most of my memories of white was his power. using that one armed club to just maul people over..... I was really too young to appreciate either guy to the fullest though. was only in my elementary years in those early and mid 90's

29 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Such different players.

Bruce played the game like Von Miller, with speed and quicks, but at 290 lbs.  He had a ballerina's bend.  There will never be another like him.

That said, Reggie was probably more fearsome.  A quick LT (like Richmond Webb) could sometimes neutralize Bruce.  White just lined up and dominated whomever was in front of him, with pure power.  He was a beast.

Years ago there was a Webb ESPN highlight film and most of the action was against the Bills and Webb had help on almost every play!  Not a big Webb fan, now Boselli is a different situation.

I voted Bruce because I’m from Buffalo. I’d imagine if you asked fans of the Eagles or Packers they would say white. 

Personally I’d prefer Bruce in my team than Reggie if we’re talking about what they bring in the field. But Reggie was by far a much better person off the field and it isn’t even close. 

5 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

like I said, I think I give reggie the edge, but is it debatable that he routinely faced lessor talent on the right side of the line? I think its a legitimate knock against somebody when you have two people so good that the debate is gonna involve picking at nits.

definitely what sticks out most of my memories of white was his power. using that one armed club to just maul people over..... I was really too young to appreciate either guy to the fullest though. was only in my elementary years in those early and mid 90's

I don’t think it’s a legitimate knock at all unless you’re trying to justify reasoning for someone being better.

Nothing about it is quantifiable. It’s pure guesswork.

Nothing is to say that Reggie would have been less dominant if he played in a different scheme against different players.

What we do know is that he average .85 sacks per game and Bruce averaged .72.

And I don’t think that pretty significant gap would be closed very much if roles were changed.

8 minutes ago, Jay_Fixit said:

I don’t think it’s a legitimate knock at all unless you’re trying to justify reasoning for someone being better.

Nothing is to say that Reggie would have been less dominant if he played in a different scheme against different players.

And I don’t think that pretty significant gap would be closed very much if roles were changed.

deductive reasoning really... who's generally the more coveted athlete? the LT or RT? where does the better talent usually reside? as a general rule is the LT. I think its safe to assume that if white had played superior talent on the regular basis his numbers take a slight dip. playing more talented players week in and week out isn't gonna yield the same result...... enough dip to make a significant difference? I don't know. maybe not, but I still think is definitely worth taking into the picture.

my personal list has always been jones, white, and smith. its sure is close between white and smith though.

Edited by Stank_Nasty

7 minutes ago, Jay_Fixit said:

You mean if they switched rush sides and played in a 3-4 vs. a 4-3?  I think it would make somewhat of a difference?

2 minutes ago, Jay_Fixit said:

It is nothing more than guesswork: Two different players, playing in different positions, in different schemes, in entirely different circumstances. Could be that the stats are reversed if roles are reversed, or not. Two great players and a fun discussion. However, in the end, like all comparisons of great players, it just an opinion wrapped up in guesswork.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, mrags said:

I voted Bruce because I’m from Buffalo. I’d imagine if you asked fans of the Eagles or Packers they would say white. 

Personally I’d prefer Bruce in my team than Reggie if we’re talking about what they bring in the field. But Reggie was by far a much better person off the field and it isn’t even close. 

LOL.  Perhaps you forgot this.

https://www.nytimes.com/1998/03/26/sports/pro-football-remarks-by-packers-white-draw-criticism-in-wisconsin.html