Who Was Better: Bruce Smith or Reggie White

Who Was Better: Reggie White or Bruce Smith?  

259 members have voted

1. 1. Who Was Better: Reggie White or Bruce Smith?

• Bruce Smith
    • Reggie White

4 hours ago, Phil The Thrill said:

The reason that I’m comparing Bruce and Reggie is because they played in the same era.  At one time in the 1990’s, Bruce vs Reggie was a popular debate in the NFL.  While Jones might be one of the greatest to the play the position, he doesn’t have the same connection to the two players

It’s nice when people set a good example by respecting those who are no longer with us

....era comparison makes good sense.....:thumbsup:

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

He had a reported fever of 104 degrees that day. For a big person, that is extremely high.  Have you ever had the flu, as in the *real* flu (not just a bad cold)? It is completely incapacitating and can be an extremely serious illness. If you really have influenza, you are in no condition to play in an NFL playoff game. It's not even debatable. 

The flu of 1918 killed something like 75 million people.  If any of them were football players, I would have demanded that they postpone their deaths to suit up and play.   Real men don't let a simple flu keep them from the gridiron.  

• Haha (+1) 1

on pure ability it's Reggie and it's not really close. However, you cannot ignore the fact that Bruce was a dominant player over a 19 year career. It's kind of insane for a pass-rusher. Even Reggie had ridiculous longevity, but Bruce was on a different level. We may never see their likes again.

Great Thread!

I think Bruce Smith was the best Bills player of all time.  I love some Bruce Smith.  But I think Reggie White was better.  To get those kinda sacks from the interior, I don't think you'll ever see that happen again.  I do think Bruce would have gotten more sacks in a 4-3 but people seem to forget that the Bills almost always went with 4 defensive lineman in their 3rd down defense.  It wasn't 3-4 100% of the time.  I do think it's close because Bruce was clutch with his sacks but I would give Reggie White #1 defensive lineman of all time.

18 hours ago, Phil The Thrill said:

For many years, I would argue in favor Bruce but one game made me change my mind.  What sealed the deal for me was in a 1996 playoff game.  Bruce had the flu and was questionable to play.  This happens quite a bit in the NFL and players usually play through sickness.  So I was really shocked when he missed the game.  Pittsburgh scored 40 points so the team definitely could’ve used Bruce.

I am going to help you out and clear something up for you.

When I saw Bruce listed as doubtful for that game with "flu" being the reason, I too was furious. I can clearly remember the absolute anger. I called him the p word and everything else but a child of God.

About a month or so later I was driving home from work at about 8 PM. I actually like the cold but suddenly I was freezing and blasted my heater all the way. I went to bed and woke up shivering, aching all over, and in the fetal position. I couldn't eat for 3 full days, after which I had 1/2 a piece of white toast with no butter and a few sips of tea. I was hallucinating cartoons in vivid colors on my bedroom wall, and was throwing up and every other symptom constantly. After a week (and a loss of 14 pounds) I went to the doctor and he told me that this was a very dangerous flu and that there had been deaths.

Yes, and a month earlier, I was up in arms about Bruce. At my sanctimonious best, I wanted Bruce to play professional football in that condition on a 20 degree day in Pittsburgh and there I was a month later, crawling across my hallway to go throw up and everything else in the bathroom, burning alive and delirious with fever. I have never missed a flu shot since that episode.

In any event, I hope my rather boring tale gives you a better perspective and clears things up about that particular flu that Bruce was stricken with.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Leonhart2017 said:

Yes. Was that supposed to be sarcasm?

No I just couldn’t tell.  It wasn’t really the least bit humorous so I just wanted to check

5 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

The flu of 1918 killed something like 75 million people.  If any of them were football players, I would have demanded that they postpone their deaths to suit up and play.   Real men don't let a simple flu keep them from the gridiron.  

Or just demand they get a flu shot in the first place

13 hours ago, Phil The Thrill said:

Very classy response... 

Is this supposed to be humorous?

Fair enough....you can argue that the other 3/4’s of Green Bay’s DL were much better than lining up to Jeff Wright or Phil Hansen

Philly too, William Fuller, Clyde Simmons, Seth Joyner, Jerome Brown. All those guys could get after the QB, Bruce might have had 300 sacks if he had that kind of talent around him.

17 hours ago, Phil The Thrill said:

This is the game where Jim Kelly just killed them.  Maybe his worst playoff game.  

I remember he got knocked out and went into the tunnel.  You though he was done but Van Pelt came in and was playing well.  Then Jimbo came back injured returned to the game and sealed their loss.  More tough than brains

Thats like someone saying “Who was better Michael Jordan or LeBron James?” and someone says “Wilt Chamberlain”

It’s like “ummmm, ok.  But that wasn’t the question - Michael or LeBron?  Bruce or Reggie? Come on, man

Todd Collins*

23 hours ago, Phil The Thrill said:

For the longest time there has been a debate with my friends about who the greatest Defensive End was during the time we started watching football in the late 80’s and into the 90’s.

Back then we thought we had the best DE in the NFL in Bruce Smith.  Others considered Reggie White, from Philly, at the time to be the best. 

Now that we have the benefit of hindsight, the question is...who was really better?

Statistically there really isn’t much difference.  Reggie played 15 seasons with 198 sacks.  Bruce played 17 with 200 sacks.  Of course, Bruce is the all-time leader.   Both men should be considered toward as the best DE’s ever.

I hate to say it, but I’m going to give the edge to Reggie.  I think he was a much better leader and impacted the game more than Bruce did.  

For many years, I would argue in favor Bruce but one game made me change my mind.  What sealed the deal for me was in a 1996 playoff game.  Bruce had the flu and was questionable to play.  This happens quite a bit in the NFL and players usually play through sickness.  So I was really shocked when he missed the game.  Pittsburgh scored 40 points so the team definitely could’ve used Bruce.

I immediately thought of the Thanksgiving game against Dallas where Reggie played with a severely injured arm.  He should have missed several weeks but he played through it.  Thinking of that made me say “It’s official, Reggie is better.”  

As an adult, I can see the flawed logic there, but forgetting that incident, it doesn’t change my answer.  Bruce was fantastic, but I think Reggie was the greatest of all-time.

I dont know if any one answered this yet but Reg played LE and faced much weaker comp vs RTs while Bruce played the 5 tech RE vs LTs. Basically Bruce played against much harder comp vs elite tackles while playing a position 5tech that really doesn't equate to monster numbers he put up.  Bruce should be way more respected based on these facts . I'm talking about respect from the media but I guess playing in a market like Buffalo hurt him in that manner.

On 6/6/2019 at 5:54 AM, Phil The Thrill said:

For the longest time there has been a debate with my friends about who the greatest Defensive End was during the time we started watching football in the late 80’s and into the 90’s.

Back then we thought we had the best DE in the NFL in Bruce Smith.  Others considered Reggie White, from Philly, at the time to be the best. 

Now that we have the benefit of hindsight, the question is...who was really better?

Statistically there really isn’t much difference.  Reggie played 15 seasons with 198 sacks.  Bruce played 17 with 200 sacks.  Of course, Bruce is the all-time leader.   Both men should be considered toward as the best DE’s ever.

I hate to say it, but I’m going to give the edge to Reggie.  I think he was a much better leader and impacted the game more than Bruce did.  

I immediately thought of the Thanksgiving game against Dallas where Reggie played with a severely injured arm.  He should have missed several weeks but he played through it.  Thinking of that made me say “It’s official, Reggie is better.”  

As an adult, I can see the flawed logic there, but forgetting that incident, it doesn’t change my answer.  Bruce was fantastic, but I think Reggie was the greatest of all-time.

As someone who's literally getting over the flu right now, I completely disagree with your disapproval of Bruce not playing that game.

Players playing with the flu is NOT that common.

Michael Jordan's 38 point game with the flu was the exception, not the norm.

That said, I think I'm a little shocked at the homerism. This poll should at the very least be close to even. Is everyone here who voted old enough to have watched both guys in their prime?

It might be 1a and 1b, but Reggie White is definitely 1a to me. I've never seen a more dominant defensive player than the Rev.

Sure, Bruuuuuuce is the 2nd most dominant, but he also benefited from a consistently better supporting cast.

• Like (+1) 1

On 6/6/2019 at 11:56 AM, DJB said:

Come on. Being a Bills fan without question its Bruce.

If any y'all choose White you can go cheer for the Patriots

I picked White.

But i am still no Patriots fan.

Buffalo's Bills for me , thank you very much

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

Reggie was amazing, but he got many of his sacks with that club move, which would be illegal in today's game.

did it become illegal because of how much he dominated with that violence : 0