Who Was Better: Bruce Smith or Reggie White

Who Was Better: Reggie White or Bruce Smith?  

259 members have voted

1. 1. Who Was Better: Reggie White or Bruce Smith?

• Bruce Smith
    • Reggie White

9 minutes ago, Jay_Fixit said:

It’s actually not. 

It it is if you’re trying to win an argument though.

Yet there are a lot of 4-3 defensive ends with similar sack numbers, but the closest 3-4 DE to Bruce is JJ Watt at 92; less than half.

• Like (+1) 5

2 minutes ago, skibum said:

I've never heard anyone outside the Bills fan universe say that Bruce was better. Reggie just mauled people. He was a scary dude. 

I've never heard anyone outside of Bills fans (or former players) acknowledge that Bruce played in a far less advantageous scheme for generating sacks.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

i did not watch nearly enough Reggie to make an informed decision but Bruce was a dominant presence on a D line with lesser talent- Jeff Wright- and was able to cause much more damage on his own. As for leadership it was almost certainly Reggie since Bruce did not lead except by dping his job on field.

1 hour ago, Jay_Fixit said:

It’s close, and although they had very different styles, I think Reggie has a slight edge.

Bruce was definitely more explosive but Reggie was pure power and you needed a Hippo to block him.

I don’t want to admit it, but I am for this thread.

And just for reference, Reggie White had 198 sacks in 232 games.

Bruce had 200 in 279.

Being a human without question it’s whoever said human thinks it is.

The one difference I've seen was that Reggie was more powerful than Bruce. Bruce used his speed whereas Reggie used power and speed to dominate his opponent

Edited by the skycap
  • Like (+1) 1

I wonder if those of you picking Reggie would’ve changed your vote had Hostetler fumbled the ball when Bruce got to him in SBXXV and inexplicably held on with one hand? Obviously more points than a safety there would’ve won the ballgame...

Apples and oranges ... 

Both had 8 first team all-pro selections, and both had 2 DPOY selections.  White had some of the flashier pass rushing seasons, but honestly its like 1A, 1B.  They also played on different sides - Smith rushed against LTs and White rushed against RTs.  One in a 3-4, another in a 4-3.  

20 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

I've never heard anyone outside of Bills fans (or former players) acknowledge that Bruce played in a far less advantageous scheme for generating sacks.

Maybe because it's not true? Is there any real data to support that theory, or does everyone just assume that a scheme with 4 down lineman instead of 3 makes it easier for a DE to get sacks? I mean, it sounds logical, but is it actually true, and what's the proof?

1 minute ago, skibum said:

Maybe because it's not true? Is there any real data to support that theory, or does everyone just assume that a scheme with 4 down lineman instead of 3 makes it easier for a DE to get sacks? I mean, it sounds logical, but is it actually true, and what's the proof?

The spirit of NJ Sue lives on!!  Do your own homework.

• Haha (+1) 1

cant believe no one  has brought up the fact that white lined up over the RT most of his career. 

its hard for me to pick one over the other but bruce lining up over the more premier position, LT, definitely is a notch he has on white.

Edited by Stank_Nasty

9 minutes ago, skibum said:

I think lining up opposite RT's should be a factor too.  Bruce lined up opposite Left tackles.

Typically in a 3-4 he may line up between guard and tackle, and you're likely more subject to double teams as the 4th rusher can come from the other side.  This is an era of pretty conventional line up football too.  Teams ran a lot, had  21 personnel a lot etc.  

However, i do recall Bruce lining up with tackles more often than not so they may just have shaded the line to his side some, freeing up talley to make plays and allowing you to line up bennett closer to the line.

• Like (+1) 1

So close.  Bruce was the better athlete did the more incredible awe striking. 

Id say he was by far more capable of totally dominating a game. 

Reggie was better against the run, never took a play off and was a franchise leader. 

Id almost classify them as playing different positions so I don’t have to choose. (3-4 end vs 4-3 end...)