Who Was Better: Bruce Smith or Reggie White

Who Was Better: Reggie White or Bruce Smith?  

259 members have voted

1. 1. Who Was Better: Reggie White or Bruce Smith?

• Bruce Smith
    • Reggie White

For the longest time there has been a debate with my friends about who the greatest Defensive End was during the time we started watching football in the late 80’s and into the 90’s.

Back then we thought we had the best DE in the NFL in Bruce Smith.  Others considered Reggie White, from Philly, at the time to be the best. 

Now that we have the benefit of hindsight, the question is...who was really better?

Statistically there really isn’t much difference.  Reggie played 15 seasons with 198 sacks.  Bruce played 17 with 200 sacks.  Of course, Bruce is the all-time leader.   Both men should be considered toward as the best DE’s ever.

I hate to say it, but I’m going to give the edge to Reggie.  I think he was a much better leader and impacted the game more than Bruce did.  

For many years, I would argue in favor Bruce but one game made me change my mind.  What sealed the deal for me was in a 1996 playoff game.  Bruce had the flu and was questionable to play.  This happens quite a bit in the NFL and players usually play through sickness.  So I was really shocked when he missed the game.  Pittsburgh scored 40 points so the team definitely could’ve used Bruce.

I immediately thought of the Thanksgiving game against Dallas where Reggie played with a severely injured arm.  He should have missed several weeks but he played through it.  Thinking of that made me say “It’s official, Reggie is better.”  

As an adult, I can see the flawed logic there, but forgetting that incident, it doesn’t change my answer.  Bruce was fantastic, but I think Reggie was the greatest of all-time.

It’s close, and although they had very different styles, I think Reggie has a slight edge.

Bruce was definitely more explosive but Reggie was pure power and you needed a Hippo to block him.

I don’t want to admit it, but I am for this thread.

And just for reference, Reggie White had 198 sacks in 232 games.

Bruce had 200 in 279.

5 minutes ago, DJB said:

Come on. Being a Bills fan without question its Bruce.

If any y'all choose White you can go cheer for the Patriots

Being a human without question it’s whoever said human thinks it is.

Edited by Jay_Fixit
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

For the longest time there has been a debate with my friends about who the greatest Defensive End was during the time we started watching football in the late 80’s and into the 90’s.

Back then we thought we had the best DE in the NFL in Bruce Smith.  Others considered Reggie White, from Philly, at the time to be the best. 

Now that we have the benefit of hindsight, the question is...who was really better?

Statistically there really isn’t much difference.  Reggie played 15 seasons with 198 sacks.  Bruce played 17 with 200 sacks.  Of course, Bruce is the all-time leader.   Both men should be considered toward as the best DE’s ever.

I hate to say it, but I’m going to give the edge to Reggie.  I think he was a much better leader and impacted the game more than Bruce did.  

For many years, I would argue in favor Bruce but one game made me change my mind.  What sealed the deal for me was in a 1996 playoff game.  Bruce had the flu and was questionable to play.  This happens quite a bit in the NFL and players usually play through sickness.  So I was really shocked when he missed the game.  Pittsburgh scored 40 points so the team definitely could’ve used Bruce.

I immediately thought of the Thanksgiving game against Dallas where Reggie played with a severely injured arm.  He should have missed several weeks but he played through it.  Thinking of that made me say “It’s official, Reggie is better.”  

As an adult, I can see the flawed logic there, but forgetting that incident, it doesn’t change my answer.  Bruce was fantastic, but I think Reggie was the greatest of all-time.

He wasn't even able to get out of his bed, it sucks, but it happens. How would he have helped?

• Like (+1) 4

1 minute ago, Jay_Fixit said:

It’s close, and although they had very different styles, I think Reggie has a slight edge.

Bruce was definitely more explosive but Reggie was pure power.

I don’t want to admit it, but I am for this thread.

Being a human without question it’s whoever said human thinks it is.

Don’t you think Reggie overall had a bigger impact on his team too?  It always seemed like he was the heart and soul of the GB defense.  Bruce was phenomenal but I don’t remember thinking the same thing about him.

Just now, klos63 said:

He wasn't even able to get out of his bed, it sucks, but it happens. How would he have helped?

Well that’s what was reported.  My thinking is that Bruce Smith at 40% health is probably better than whoever was his replacement. 

4 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

Don’t you think Reggie overall had a bigger impact on his team too?  It always seemed like he was the heart and soul of the GB defense.  Bruce was phenomenal but I don’t remember thinking the same thing about him.

Well that’s what was reported.  My thinking is that Bruce Smith at 40% health is probably better than whoever was his replacement. 

Months later, Smith was on ESPN and he talked about how having this flu bug was worse than any knee injury he ever had. He talked about how he was so out of it, that he couldn’t even walk.

6 minutes ago, MJS said:

I do wonder what Bruce would have done as a DE in a 4-3.

Yeah that’s interesting.  He only played in a 3-4 his entire career

5 minutes ago, klos63 said:

Months later, Smith was on ESPN and he talked about how having this flu bug was worse than any knee injury he ever had. He talked about how he was so out of it, that he couldn’t even walk.

Ok well like I admitted, basing this on one incident was flawed.  But overall, it didn’t  change my belief that Reggie was better

Edited by Phil The Thrill

Bruce played in 3-4 defense most of time with fast paced offense resulting in more snaps.  Bruce was better. 

BTW that flu he had was very severe with Bills trying to give him intravenous fluids trying to try to flush out virus but it did not work.

I question medical staff at time not requiring shots be up to date.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, DJB said:

Come on. Being a Bills fan without question its Bruce.

If any y'all choose White you can go cheer for the Patriots

kind of ignorant to try and tell someone that may not agree with you to go cheer for the patriots.

honestly, it's almost to close to call

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-hall-of-fame/09000d5d811bfdf4/Bruce-Smith-vs-Reggie-White

1 minute ago, Limeaid said:

Bruce played in 3-4 defense most of time with fast paced offense resulting in more snaps.  Bruce was better. 

BTW that flu he had was very severe with Bills trying to give him intravenous fluids trying to try to flush out virus but it did not work.

I question medical staff at time not requiring shots be up to date.

Reggie White had 198 sacks in 47 less games than Bruce. 4-3, 3-4 doesn’t matter.

Do you think Reggie would have been affected by playing in a 3-4?

Nah. 

Reggie White played in a 4-3 on the strong side.

Bruce Smith played in a 3-4 on the blind side.

Reggie was better all around. Bruce was a better pass rusher.

In today's NFL, Bruce would be making more money. Back then, Reggie was a better cornerstone of a defense.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Jay_Fixit said:

Reggie White had 198 sacks in 47 less games than Bruce. 4-3, 3-4 doesn’t matter.

Do you think Reggie would have been affected by playing in a 3-4?

Nah. 

That's like asking if playing DT instead of DE would have affected the sack numbers; Especially in those days.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, hondo in seattle said:

It's easier to get sacks as a DE in a 4-3 than a 3-4.

Reggie was great.  Bruce was greater.  

In addition, Bruce had to line up against probably the best RT/LT in the game for most of his career - Bruce Armstrong.  His sack numbers would have been higher if this were not the case.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, unbillievable said:

That's like asking if playing DT instead of DE would have affected the sack numbers; Especially in those days.

It’s actually not. 

It it is if you’re trying to win an argument though.