75 years ago today brave men stormed the beaches of Normandy

11 hours ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

why do you feel so superior to make such an ignorant comment?

It's an honest question -- Why do the Marines generally trash other branches of the military and claim superiority? It's bizarre to me. We're all on the same team. I don't understand how asking for the reasoning behind this is ignorant. And how am I feeling superior? Comment makes no sense. I'm neither Army nor Marine.

Edited by The Bills Blog

On 6/6/2019 at 3:37 PM, vorpma said:

Not on you Chandler#81, I sometimes get down hard on millennials so it was my "mea culpa." But hell yes, history is not taught in schools today in many ways leading to the repeat of past mistakes!

You mean like the environment of overt nationalism, isolationism, and protectionist policies the millenials are responsible for the country moving towards? 

Some of the posts are just ridiculous characterizations being asserted by a poster's own bias.

Anyways, I watched a documentary that was filmed within the last decade where veterans of D-Day are flown over to Normandy.

To watch their interactions with the people of Normandy as well as how grateful to all those who participated is quite amazing. Toddlers are instilled on what others gave for them that day. The cemetary is kept in pristine condition. A lot of the locals repeated, they fought not to conquer but for our freedom. It was a pretty touching documentary.

Edited by Ol Dirty B
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, The Bills Blog said:

It's an honest question -- Why do the Marines generally trash other branches of the military and claim superiority? It's bizarre to me. We're all on the same team. I don't understand how asking for the reasoning behind this is ignorant. And how am I feeling superior? Comment makes no sense. I'm neither Army nor Marine.

For a purported blogger, your research skills are underwhelming, if not nonexistent.

The Marine Corps Hymn.

From the Halls of Montezuma
To the shores of Tripoli;
We fight our country's battles
In the air, on land, and sea;
First to fight for right and freedom
And to keep our honor clean;
We are proud to claim the title
Of United States Marine.

Our flag's unfurled to every breeze
From dawn to setting sun;
We have fought in every clime and place
Where we could take a gun;
In the snow of far-off Northern lands
And in sunny tropic scenes,
You will find us always on the job
The United States Marines.

Here's health to you and to our Corps
Which we are proud to serve;
In many a strife we've fought for life
And never lost our nerve.
If the Army and the Navy
Ever look on Heaven's scenes,
They will find the streets are guarded
By United States Marines.

Do your research, blog boy. Read up on Tuns Tavern, Philadelphia PA, November 10, 1775. The Marines are not an official, stand alone US military. It’s why they can invade Grenada (i.e.) and it not be an official act of war. 

While most of the interdepartmental banter is just rivalry driven, your naivety discredits any credence you may have garnered as a writer. I’m sure half the posters here know more about the Bills than you’re likely to ever learn. Tip: Don’t quit your day job.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

For a purported blogger, your research skills are underwhelming, if not nonexistent.

The Marine Corps Hymn.

From the Halls of Montezuma
To the shores of Tripoli;
We fight our country's battles
In the air, on land, and sea;
First to fight for right and freedom
And to keep our honor clean;
We are proud to claim the title
Of United States Marine.

Our flag's unfurled to every breeze
From dawn to setting sun;
We have fought in every clime and place
Where we could take a gun;
In the snow of far-off Northern lands
And in sunny tropic scenes,
You will find us always on the job
The United States Marines.

Here's health to you and to our Corps
Which we are proud to serve;
In many a strife we've fought for life
And never lost our nerve.
If the Army and the Navy
Ever look on Heaven's scenes,
They will find the streets are guarded
By United States Marines.

Do your research, blog boy. Read up on Tuns Tavern, Philadelphia PA, November 10, 1775. The Marines are not an official, stand alone US military. It’s why they can invade Grenada (i.e.) and it not be an official act of war. 

While most of the interdepartmental banter is just rivalry driven, your naivety discredits any credence you may have garnered as a writer. I’m sure half the posters here know more about the Bills than you’re likely to ever learn. Tip: Don’t quit your day job.

Holy crap. There's no need to be nasty and condescending. My goodness.

The point remains that it's silly for branches of the United States military to belittle each other. We are all on the same team. This has nothing to do with my Bills knowledge or the fact that I had a blog about the Bills... seriously? And just because I'm asking doesn't mean I don't have research skills. My god. I work 55 hours a week and I have a toddler to look after... My apologies if I don't have the time to spend hours pouring over material before I can ask a question on a message board. My god.

1 hour ago, The Bills Blog said:

The point remains that it's silly for branches of the United States military to belittle each other. We are all on the same team. This has nothing to do with my Bills knowledge or the fact that I had a blog about the Bills... seriously? And just because I'm asking doesn't mean I don't have research skills. My god. I work 55 hours a week and I have a toddler to look after... My apologies if I don't have the time to spend hours pouring over material before I can ask a question on a message board. My god.

Re-read your 1st post then tell me who’s condescending. No reason to bring your sky fairy obsessions into the discussion. In the ridiculously vague definition of journalism in today’s blogsphere, one constant remains; do your research lest you be revealed a fraud.

Your ‘points remain silly’.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, The Bills Blog said:

Take a bunch of 18-22 year old kids and turn them into war machines. Then the people who they protect get mad because the machines are competitive, even with each other. 

I worked 3 miles from Camp Lejeune, my brother was a marine. He was air wing and on a different base. Think it was hard to find an 18 year old kid around town that thought the entire airwing was a bunch of wimps? It’s the same thing. Everyone lives their role. 

MARSOC? Is that even the right spelling? I had too look it up. Our neighbor was special forces, he never mingled with “regular” marines until we lost power in a hurricane. We had tons of ice, beer, and a charcoal grill. I don’t think they thought less of anyone else, they were trained to live and breath with their own group.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, The Bills Blog said:

(Editor's note: the Bills literally have nothing to do with this)

Tip: Don’t quit your day job.

(Editor's note: apparently this is because I said "my god" as a reaction, lol)

Editors notes? Really?

Oh Your God!

P.S. That’s not the entirety of YOUR 1st post and you know it. Thus the lame charade. 

I’m done with you scribe boy.

https://thezebra.org/2019/04/30/climb-aboard-higgins-boat-on-display-in-alexandria/

I'd provide a link to article below but I think it is internal link only but link above should have most of the info.

Remember D-Day at the Alexandria campus

A higgins boat outside the front of the madison building

Photo by Jay Premack/USPTO
To mark the 75th anniversary of D-Day on June 6, 2019, the National Inventors Hall of Fame (NIHF) Museum has "landed" a restored Higgins Boat in Dulany Gardens — just outside of the Museum — at the USPTO headquarters in Alexandria, Virginia.

The Higgins Boat is the patented craft that troops used to land on the beaches of Normandy on D-Day, June 6, 1944. General Eisenhower called the Higgins Boat “the boat that won the war” as it played a pivotal role not only in Normandy, but on the coasts of North Africa, Italy, and across the Pacific, and allowed the U.S. Army to cross the Rhine River into Germany in March 1945.

I'm not a huge military/war guy. Too many have been fought for profit but these guys had courage and stones like no other. The more I read about this the more I'm amazed. Mostly kids too. Ask today's generation to do this and we'd all be speaking German now. Nothing but respect lads. 

38 minutes ago, gomper said:

I'm not a huge military/war guy. Too many have been fought for profit but these guys had courage and stones like no other. The more I read about this the more I'm amazed. Mostly kids too. Ask today's generation to do this and we'd all be speaking German now. Nothing but respect lads. 

Maybe adversity and necessity can be a good thing....at least in some respects. I’d like to think our young people would step up, but I pray we never have to know for sure. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Augie said:

Maybe adversity and necessity can be a good thing....at least in some respects. I’d like to think our young people would step up, but I pray we never have to know for sure. 

I think they would step up. I know a few kids who want to get into the service and are having trouble because the requirements are pretty tough. Apparently there are so many kids who want to get in, the services can be somewhat choosy. 

I bet people will say that they know some flunky looser who got into the service, but that hasn’t been the case from what I’ve been led to believe. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Gray Beard said:

I think they would step up. I know a few kids who want to get into the service and are having trouble because the requirements are pretty tough. Apparently there are so many kids who want to get in, the services can be somewhat choosy. 

I bet people will say that they know some flunky looser who got into the service, but that hasn’t been the case from what I’ve been led to believe. 

My HS QB son was at least briefly recruited to attend West Point. (Would have been a solid slot receiver!) One of the kids from his soccer team hit a 56 yard FG while Urban Meyer was on the sidelines during a big regional game. Meyer, Michigan and others gave him offers, but he went to West Point. None of the kids got what a big deal that was. Strange times. Not “get off my lawn” awful times, but certainly different. 

5 minutes ago, Augie said:

My HS QB son was at least briefly recruited to attend West Point. (Would have been a solid slot receiver!) One of the kids from his soccer team hit a 56 yard FG while Urban Meyer was on the sidelines during a big regional game. Meyer, Michigan and others gave him offers, but he went to West Point. None of the kids got what a big deal that was. Strange times. Not “get off my lawn” awful times, but certainly different. 

My son was a pretty good Mike LB on his high school football team.  The Coast Guard Academy invited him in for a visit. He wasn’t interested, and I don’t think he would have enjoyed it if he had gone.

I worked with a guy whose son went to the Naval Academy and his daughter went to the Coast Guard Academy.  We were all jealous, not only because of how impressive that is, but also because he avoided paying for college for his kids.