Who is your roster “dark horse”?

7 hours ago, teef said:

my pasty white horse guess would be tom sweeney.  

A very interesting pick, but I think he might be a victim of #’s.  You know Kroft and Dawson are roster locks.  Lee Smith has a 3 year deal so I’m guessing he’s safe too.  Then there’s Croom.  I don’t know if I can see the Bills keeping 4 TE’s but Sweeney is a good choice for this question

2 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

Eli Harold. 

Was drafted in the 3rd round by the 9ers in 2015 when he was just 21 years.  He has done little  since, though he did have 4 sacks and 4 hurries playing just 19% of the snaps for the Lions last year. 

Has played mostly as a 3-4 OLB in the NFL but the Bills will use him as a 4-3 DE which might be more natural for him.    

Eli is my pick 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ColdFront_USAF said:

I like Duke Williams. I know most people are on the Sills V hype train, and I'd be perfectly happy to see the kid make the team, but don't forget how dominant Williams was in the CFL. If he can keep focused on ball and stay out of trouble, he has the ability to be elite. 

..Duke is interesting...seems to have atoned for early on mistakes, recommitted to football and knows this could be his ONLY NFL chance......some TBD pundits have already labeled him "cap fodder" whereas McBeane said the Duke signing changed their draft philosophy whereby a "high WR pick" was no longer a "top priority".....so who is right?....

8 hours ago, BisonMan said:

With mini-camp approaching, which “long-shot to make the roster” player are you predicting to be on the active roster week 1? Don’t just drop a name but give your rationale. 

Given most late round picks don’t make the roster, I’m going with Jaquan Johnson (S). Although the Bills have depth at safety, Johnson is a typical Beane “high ceiling” draft pick. I think Johnson makes the roster primarily as a Special Teams contributor but moves up the depth chart at safety as the season wears on.

EdW

Most late round picks don’t make the roster? I think that they have only cut 1 draft pick over the last 7 drafts (Proehl). Listenbee was released on an injury settlement. Johnson is a LOCK.

As for a sleeper, I guess I’ll go Ray Ray. He seems to be having a big offseason and has got some time with the 1’s. He has a chance to claim that last spot.

2 hours ago, ColdFront_USAF said:

I like Duke Williams. I know most people are on the Sills V hype train, and I'd be perfectly happy to see the kid make the team, but don't forget how dominant Williams was in the CFL. If he can keep focused on ball and stay out of trouble, he has the ability to be elite. 

I think Duke Williams, and David Sills are both far enough down the depth chart that their chances of making the 53 are dependent on how well they fit into special teams. I don't know if Duke ever played ST in the CFL (I suspect not, as he was a starting WR), but he would seem to be a likely fit, as he is super strong, and an effective blocker. (There's an hilarious clip of him plowing over a CB who was taunting him that made the rounds). Sills on the other hand... just watching him run, he looks lanky, and perhaps not a natural fit into ST work. I also suspect that once the pads come on, Duke's true worth will become more evident.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

I think Duke Williams, and David Sills are both far enough down the depth chart that their chances of making the 53 are dependent on how well they fit into special teams. I don't know if Duke ever played ST in the CFL (I suspect not, as he was a starting WR), but he would seem to be a likely fit, as he is super strong, and an effective blocker. (There's an hilarious clip of him plowing over a CB who was taunting him that made the rounds). Sills on the other hand... just watching him run, he looks lanky, and perhaps not a natural fit into ST work. I also suspect that once the pads come on, Duke's true worth will become more evident.

..nicely done with a fair assessment bud...:thumbsup:...glad to see you're not one of the "camp fodder" gang....think this kid knows this is "IT"......NFL and $$$ or back to the CFL.....stay tuned....

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Most late round picks don’t make the roster? I think that they have only cut 1 draft pick over the last 7 drafts (Proehl). Listenbee was released on an injury settlement. Johnson is a LOCK.

As for a sleeper, I guess I’ll go Ray Ray. He seems to be having a big offseason and has got some time with the 1’s. He has a chance to claim that last spot.

Beane is famous for saying you don’t draft players in late rounds that you don’t think will make the team

• Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

I'm hoping he can climb up the depth chart in camp, you know McD will give him the opportunity to compete. He just brings something we don't have anywhere else in the receiving corps. 

Brown and Foster are both great speed guys, Beasley is one of the shiftiest slots out there, and Zay can be a solid possession receiver and a good move the sticks guy when he catches the ball. Nobody in there is as big or aggressive as Duke, and that attitude can go a long way in this league. 

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, ColdFront_USAF said:

I'm hoping he can climb up the depth chart in camp, you know McD will give him the opportunity to compete. He just brings something we don't have anywhere else in the receiving corps. 

Brown and Foster are both great speed guys, Beasley is one of the shiftiest slots out there, and Zay can be a solid possession receiver and a good move the sticks guy when he catches the ball. Nobody in there is as big or aggressive as Duke, and that attitude can go a long way in this league. 

I said in another thread that I think Duke could become the best blocking WR we've ever had. 

8 hours ago, VirginiaMike said:

Good call!  He reminds me a little of Jordy Nelson.  You aren't sure why he keeps getting open, but he does.  He also, based upon his college career, finds a way to get into the endzone.  

Jordy Nelson Ran a good 4.51 at the combine but plays with 4.4 speed on the field

in his prime he was a burner on the field... the fastest WR Rodgers had for a while.. Sills doesn’t possess that kind of speed and explosiveness but is sure handed

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Forward Progress said:

If Wade is assigned to the practice squad, he won't be eligible to be activated in 2019 (as per the international pathway program rules).  Given how much he needs to learn about NFL football, he is likely to remain on the practice squad this year, but his physical talents may land him on the roster in 2020.

I did not know this. I assume this also means that other teams would not be able to claim him off our practice squad during 2019?

1 hour ago, Rocky Landing said:

I did not know this. I assume this also means that other teams would not be able to claim him off our practice squad during 2019?

I think that makes sense.  Essentially, the Bills get one extra practice squad spot for Wade, but they can’t activate him if from that extra spot. 

4 hours ago, Forward Progress said:

I think that makes sense.  Essentially, the Bills get one extra practice squad spot for Wade, but they can’t activate him if from that extra spot. 

I wonder if they could give him a regular spot (not the one granted by the International Pathway Program), and be able to activate him during the 2019 season? 

12 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Only 8% of DBs selected in the 6th round make a roster across the NFL. The Bills have been a special case in recent years due to constant rebuilds. The current roster is in better shape than in recent years and more “normal” by NFL standards. 

Great stats here on draft picks making a roster: https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2015/2/20/8072877/what-the-statistics-tell-us-about-the-draft-by-round

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Rocky Landing said:

I wonder if they could give him a regular spot (not the one granted by the International Pathway Program), and be able to activate him during the 2019 season? 

I was wondering the same thing. It seems reasonable that if Wade is designated to a regular practice squad spot that the same rules apply to him as everyone else. 

He has a roster exemption now as well, so he doesn’t count against the 90-player offseason roster limit. 

2 hours ago, BisonMan said:

Only 8% of DBs selected in the 6th round make a roster across the NFL. The Bills have been a special case in recent years due to constant rebuilds. The current roster is in better shape than in recent years and more “normal” by NFL standards. 

Great stats here on draft picks making a roster: https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2015/2/20/8072877/what-the-statistics-tell-us-about-the-draft-by-round

That isn't actually what those stats say (great link by the way) the stats are about becoming starters not making a roster.