Who is your roster “dark horse”?

2 hours ago, BisonMan said:

Only 8% of DBs selected in the 6th round make a roster across the NFL. The Bills have been a special case in recent years due to constant rebuilds. The current roster is in better shape than in recent years and more “normal” by NFL standards. 

Great stats here on draft picks making a roster: https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2015/2/20/8072877/what-the-statistics-tell-us-about-the-draft-by-round

That’s not what that link says. It says 8% of DBs drafted in the 6th round or later become regular starters. The number that make the team as rookies is astronomically higher. Try this one, 70.2% of all 6th round rookies make the active roster in year 1. That number is WAY higher for a team with 1 playoff appearance in 18 seasons: 

https://www.milehighreport.com/platform/amp/2014/5/13/5713996/how-long-does-the-average-draft-pick-stick-around

And yes, I know that post is from 2014 but with the advancement of technology & analytics bust rates continue to decline, not increase.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

I am a Sills fan, but I do think that Nick Easley will surprise a bit. Not sure that he makes the roster, but I think he has the chance to be a bigger version of Cole Beasley. 

Also, as  line guy, I'm going to start paying more attention to Jon Feliciano. As guys have been hurt he is getting a million reps, and it seems as if he at least has a chance to earn a starting gig at one of the guard spots. I am interesting to see how that continues to develop in training camp. 

I also think we see a huge step up from Siran Neal. He's a bit of athletic freak without a real true position, but if he understands the defense he could be an interesting and versatile cog in subpackages. He can play some linebacker, some slot, some safety.  

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

That’s not what that link says. It says 8% of DBs drafted in the 6th round or later become regular starters. The number that make the team as rookies is astronomically higher. Try this one, 70.2% of all 6th round rookies make the active roster in year 1. That number is WAY higher for a team with 1 playoff appearance in 18 seasons: 

https://www.milehighreport.com/platform/amp/2014/5/13/5713996/how-long-does-the-average-draft-pick-stick-around

And yes, I know that post is from 2014 but with the advancement of technology & analytics bust rates continue to decline, not increase.

My bad. Reading fast on too little sleep. Thanks for the correction.

• Like (+1) 1

TJ Yeldon is my dark horse. Think he could see substantial time as a rotational back behind Gore and Singletary. I also believe Shady will be traded or released before the start of the season, so he's a starter from last year that i believe is a dark horse to make the roster. Decline in play, astronomical contract.

Dawson Knox will take advantage of Kroft's foot injury as will Tommy Sweeney. Lee Smith was already a lock. Smith had flag related issues towards the end of his 1st visit. Let's hope that got cleared up. Great blocking TE. I'm not sure how Croom will respond. If Sweeney's hands are as good as they say, he could be TE#2 before long.

Edited by GreggTX

5 hours ago, NewDayBills said:

TJ Yeldon is my dark horse. Think he could see substantial time as a rotational back behind Gore and Singletary. I also believe Shady will be traded or released before the start of the season, so he's a starter from last year that i believe is a dark horse to make the roster. Decline in play, astronomical contract.

You could be right if DS > Shady early on. I'm excited to see what DS can do at this level. Yeldon was a great pick up IMO. We'll have better blocking and DS is great at setting up his blockers. Thurman was good at that too. That 3rd round may yet be our best this recent draft. Knox looks good too.

Edited by GreggTX

I’ll echo Sills and add Tyree Jackson. If he shows enough for OBD to like him, they might not risk putting him on the practice squad. 

Not to make this a stable of dark horses, but also add WR Nick Easley (catches everything and Daboll seems to like the small shifty type) and K Chase McLaughlin (80% FG, 79/79 XPs).